Aston Martin One-77 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Cool Wall This lounge has been dedicated to Mark Cullen who tragically passed away on 07-04-08. The Cool Wall was Marks idea so it's only right it has his name attached.

View Poll Results: Aston Martin One-77
Sub Zero 13 43.33%
Cool 9 30.00%
Uncool 5 16.67%
Seriously Uncool 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 20-07-12 Thread Starter
Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Aston Martin One-77

Aston Martin's definitive sports car. Is it cool?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aston Martin One-77 1.jpg (66.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Aston Martin One-77 2.jpg (69.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Aston Martin One-77 3.jpg (129.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Aston Martin One-77 4.jpg (144.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Aston Martin One-77 5.jpg (104.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Aston Martin One-77 6.jpg (149.1 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
Not really. I think it looks a bit fussy and out of proportion. Front too long, back too short and the face is wrong

Is it really worth a million quids?
keithyboy

I think Gaz has been replaced by a doppelganger the old Focus RS loving Gaz would have loved this. I agree with new Gaz, it's too fussy. Keith's rules of the cool wall

1. If it's from the 60s it'll have to try really hard not to be cool
2. Supercars aren't cool (unless they are from the 60s)
3. Anything with a big gay diffuser on the back is automatically uncool

The interior looks like it's been made from Right Said Fred's old vests.

Durty dog

interior does look ropey.

Temp Un-Registered

County: Essex

Member car:

GTA & Scooby

This is a hard one....from an engineering point of view the car is sub zero but for me the car is far far to fussy. An Aston Martin should be elegant and not try hard as that's what they are known for!! This looks like a Korean ripoff come Chinese car
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
I was at Gaydon last week and two feet away from a One 77. The pictures shown here are very old of the original prototype so no opinions based on them alone are valid.
Close up the car is totally stunning in every way. A few random facts.... No two cars need be the same (ten cars bought by one person were).The interiors and paint colours were specified by the buyers. Seats were made with personal logos, centre consoles had everything from sea shells to roulette chips embedded into them. One car was shades of pink throughout.

No faults are accepted on any detail or any part of the car . Even behind the gold heat shields and on the underside of the car even if a bolt is marked during assembly it is replaced. The engine is the most powerful naturally aspirated ever fitted to a production car and is built by Cosworth. The brakes are bedded in on a V12 Vantage on the test track on a slave car before fitting to the cars to ensure perfect operation.

To call it ropey is just stupidity. To use cost or value for money is irrelevant as a criticism.
OK, you might have guessed I'm biased, I can proudly say that my son worked on assembly in the One 77 facility. Some of the stories behind these cars and their buyers are mind boggling. It really is a different world to the one we know, a world that these people live in and that the One 77 is aimed at. A world where 1.2 million is not a consideration for someone who wants the most exclusive car in the world. All 77 cars found customers and are now completed.
Just my two pence worth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0177.jpg (44.8 KB, 7 views)
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
droopy and predictable
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Interesting slap some of em' down there AF.: If anyone on here buys one, I'd love to have a ride in it asap, as I may not be around much longer to experience such lavish motoring exotica.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
droopy and predictable
Yes , but what about the Aston ?

Have you ever seen one in the flesh ?
It actually hangs together better than the pics .But it is more sensitive to the tastes of the customers.
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire
I like it but it has to be in the correct colour (the maroon prototype is nice)
RSK

I'm torn.

Its an absolutely beautiful thing, jaw droppingly so IMO.

It has a quintessential sense of Aston-ness about and the vast majority of Astons are just default cool in my mind.

But...... It's one of a new breed of car built for a new breed of customer who values ostentation and conspicuous consumption over dynamics, provenance and driving pleasure. As such it's one of those cars destined to spend its life on an air freighter and parked outside the Dorchester when the heat gets too much in the Middle East.

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
I'm torn.

Its an absolutely beautiful thing, jaw droppingly so IMO.

It has a quintessential sense of Aston-ness about and the vast majority of Astons are just default cool in my mind.

But...... It's one of a new breed of car built for a new breed of customer who values ostentation and conspicuous consumption over dynamics, provenance and driving pleasure. As such it's one of those cars destined to spend its life on an air freighter and parked outside the Dorchester when the heat gets too much in the Middle East.
Some of the cars are definitely being used and used hard. One was bought and entered the Gumball rally, one has been returned to the factory full of desert sand....
You really do need to see one of these cars in the flesh to appreciate what it is and the work that goes into it. The size of it doesn't come over in pictures ,the track is around 2 metres (6 foot six), that is a very wide car.

2012 Aston Martin One-77 - Top Speed
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

GT ss/Cav mk1

Sub sub zero
AO Gold Member

County: Durham
I like all Astons and this one will not change my mind.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol
Uncool

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Larnaca
Hooooooooly moly! Sub zero!

AO Silver Member

County: New South Wales
Garage
cool.

Saluti, Giordano.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Sub, oh yes indeedy. Saw this on a mega Factories or somink first. Love it and all new and old Astons are super cool.
keithyboy

Edit: wrong thread.

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
This one really is tough. I am torn as well. It's an Aston, they just are intrinsically cool and yet there is that brash ostentation about it, the pandering to the blingiest demand (I mean - sea shells, roulette chips, pink really?), the wadded waving of its price tag at almost every mention.

Price and exclusivity are not a bar to being cool but shouting about what something costs most definitely is not.

The engineering integrity and the few that will be built with sober colours and some restrained interior finishing just about do enough to drag it over the line into cool. The rest are seriously uncool and I'm going to discount them as individuals' personal abominations.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
This one really is tough. I am torn as well. It's an Aston, they just are intrinsically cool and yet there is that brash ostentation about it, the pandering to the blingiest demand (I mean - sea shells, roulette chips, pink really?), the wadded waving of its price tag at almost every mention.

Price and exclusivity are not a bar to being cool but shouting about what something costs most definitely is not.

The engineering integrity and the few that will be built with sober colours and some restrained interior finishing just about do enough to drag it over the line into cool. The rest are seriously uncool and I'm going to discount them as individuals' personal abominations.
Excellent post.
The One-77s that have been blinged are very much in the minority. Most have been very tastefully personalised and have very normal colours . The richest people sometimes struggle to find things to spend their money on and all too often good taste goes out of the window. It happens with everything ,not just cars. You hear of diamond encrusted i phones or Rolex watches, I don't see why it should reflect on the manufacturers original concept for the product.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
The customer is led through the opportunities with the guys who designed it and I've even heard of a client being sent away and asked to return for another appointment went sober. It's in the kind of market against a yacht for example where it may be payment for a deal . In other words a world few of us inhabit. Considering that it's not all that vulgar when you see one. Just look at what Ferrari are prepared to do to "personalise" their cars.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Cool Wall

Tags
aston , martin , one77

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page