Land Rover Discovery 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Cool Wall This lounge has been dedicated to Mark Cullen who tragically passed away on 07-04-08. The Cool Wall was Marks idea so it's only right it has his name attached.

View Poll Results: Land Rover Discovery 4
Sub Zero 2 7.69%
Cool 13 50.00%
Uncool 8 30.77%
Seriously Uncool 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 13-07-12 Thread Starter
Ant
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Land Rover Discovery 4

Land Rover's versatile 7-seat off-roader. Is it cool?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Land Rover Discovery 4 1.jpg (82.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Land Rover Discovery 4 2.jpg (102.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Land Rover Discovery 4 3.jpg (183.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Land Rover Discovery 4 4.jpg (99.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Land Rover Discovery 4 5.jpg (147.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Land Rover Discovery 4 6.jpg (92.8 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Durham
Garage

Member car:

156 Gta Q2

Had one as a rental in Dublin couple of years ago and it really changed my mind about them - nice drive
Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
Its a fence-sitter, neither cool or uncool
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol
I agree with Gaz but, in order to cast a vote, I've
gone for uncool.

AO Member

County: Manawatu-Wanganui
Side profile is Dodge Nitro, which is unfortunate for the LR, but it's still a class act...so cool in my book.
keithyboy

We need another category - Good/Worthy but not really cool as such.

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Meh, wouldnt look twice
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Cool . I'd look if I needed a thing like this . Authentic product unlike Q7 etc .not so sure about painted bumpers and lamp bling up . But market gets what it wants.
RSK

Mrs RSK has one of these. It's her second D4 in a row and immediately before that she had a D3.

Let me tell you exactly why this is a very cool vehicle.

1 - Firstly it's the real thing - this is a proper, proper Land Rover and can go just about anywhere. We've taken all of our ours off road and plenty of Land Rover's a lot further off road yet and these machines are just about unstoppable in the sticky stuff.

2 - It's unbelievably comfortable, relaxed and refined - it's as at home on the motorway as it is up to it's axles in mud. It's fast, powerful, quiet and surges forward on 600nm of torque delivered via an 8 speed paddle shift auto whilst you sit inside in a beautiful air conditioned premium leather interior with all the toys you could need.

3 - It's not a Range Rover Sport, so you don't get mistaken for a footballer or drug dealer but it has exactly the same underpinnings (The RRS is a rebodied Disco with minor suspension tweaks), much greater practicality (bigger inside, 7 adult seats) and costs a couple of grand less trim for trim.

4 - It makes you feel special every time you get in it and you it's no just a go-anywhere vehicle in the off-road sense it truly is a car for all occasions. The aforementioned muddy fields and motorways or a posh hotel, a trip to the tip, transporting a wardrobe from Ikea, turning up to a business meeting, taking the folks to the airport, going on a sightseeing trip in London, stopping for a picnic using the split tailgate as a seat etc etc etc it truly is the archetypal multi purpose vehicle.

The thinking(wo)man's premium 4X4

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
What he said.....................I have been on a LR experience in a Disco 3................IT DOES EVERYTHING!

The 4 is better

the end.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Defender(ish) more geeky not cool.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Larnaca
I wont say uncool. Its okay for me. Only the back end doesnt work really well... But that interior...

AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

GT ss/Cav mk1

Uncool
AO Platinum Member

Dreadful reliability record aside (nothing to do with cool) I'd have to put it into cool primarily for the reasons RSK mentions.

It is a massive, comfortable pseudo-luxo bus with immense and genuine off road ability.

I wouldn't object to MrsJim having a used one but she thinks they're naff and reminds me of their tendency to be broken down most of the time according to most reliability surveys.

Funniest thing was at a management meeting a few months ago, one of my senior colleagues had earlier made a typically Alfa baiting snipe at me which I failed to rise to. Later that evening we pulled up at the hotel we were all staying over in and I parked up before him just in time to hear his rear suspension compressor(?) fail with a deafening groan like an old dinosaur breathing its last!

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

159 1750 Ti

Uncool.

Another vehicle that starts life off relatively cool but ends up 8 years into a knackered life being owned by fat, bald (shaven), bullet-headed pub "stalwarts" with poor social skills who belive that cars such as this (old Rangey's and RR Sports) convey an Essex Gangsta cachet.

Last edited by palexr; 03-08-12 at 10:05.
mudhut

I'd like one of these to tow a car trailer. Comfy and imposing but too "stockbroker's wife" so not cool.

RSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhut View Post
I'd like one of these to tow a car trailer. Comfy and imposing but too "stockbroker's wife" so not cool.
Oi I am not a stockbroker !

Jim - doubt very much it was the suspension letting go, all Discos from the D3 on are on air suspension which always emits a little "fart" and causes the car to settle soon after it's put into park.

Agree they do have a poor reliability rep but whilst our D3 had problems neither D4 has let us down at all.

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
Jim - doubt very much it was the suspension letting go, all Discos from the D3 on are on air suspension which always emits a little "fart" and causes the car to settle soon after it's put into park.

Agree they do have a poor reliability rep but whilst our D3 had problems neither D4 has let us down at all.
Definitely not a little bit of wind! It was really loud too. I have been out in that one and a couple of others over the years, and had never heard anything like that. Andrew admitted something had gone badly wrong with it lately and he'd have to spend some money on it before giving it to his wife when his new company hybrid arrived.

There was another D4 at one of our factories which the plant manager bought at about 1.5-2 years old- IIRC. He was mad keen to have a Disco or RR for trips to france to his daughter's place and he was talking about keeping it into his impending retirement (about 4 years off yet). He was so fed up with it breaking down that he chopped it in for an E-class after about 8 months.
AO Member

County: West Midlands
This one will never beat sports casrs on the road, so you need to look at it in a different light. off road is where it's king. cant knock till youve gone off road then tried a naff jap 4x4
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
By current Land Rover standards - cool

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Cool Wall

Tags
discovery , land , rover

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page