Lotus Carlton - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Cool Wall This lounge has been dedicated to Mark Cullen who tragically passed away on 07-04-08. The Cool Wall was Marks idea so it's only right it has his name attached.

View Poll Results: Lotus Carlton
Sub Zero 71 43.03%
Cool 67 40.61%
Uncool 16 9.70%
Seriously Uncool 11 6.67%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Volvo/Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Incredible car. Do you think it'd be possible to find an unmolested one these days though?
Also, Damn, they made some bad looking interiors in those days, didn't they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
It's got to be damn near impossible fella...

... and yes, tragic interiors, but back then, we all loved them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crespo2121 View Post
30k with less than 5k on the clock. Bargain when you consider how quick it is and that it will be a classic if it is not already.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lotus-Carlton-...3%3A1|294%3A50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaHedgehog View Post
Wow .... I didn't know it existed until today! There are several on Autotrader, but they are £16K - £40K I would have one for the right price!
roll forward to 2018.... one on Octane for 124k pounds this month
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Essex
I once got a ride around the Hethel test track with one of their test drivers at the wheel: tbh I preferred to keep my eyes shut. With them open the laws of physics appeared to have been suspended. Doing that sort of thing in a sports car is one thing, but being seated comparatively high in a large saloon made each approaching corner look like our last.

The steering gear, complete with a box and multiple links, wasn’t very cool though. It looked like something out of a 1960’s Vauxhall Cresta. Suggesting as much to a senior engineer peering at it from under a lift elicited the response: ‘it is’. I never did work out if he meant it.
AO Platinum Member

County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

It's basically a very fast, unpolished, turd.

Minging.
AO Silver Member

County: -
Thumbs Up

I like them but not incredibly so. They were the Opel/Vauxhall answer to that 1980s abomination; the Cossie which in itself is rightly celebrated but thankfully not for the 3rd hand owners it often attracted.

The Carlton never suffered this affliction which is why it seems to be remembered for what it was and not those who used them.

Yes, dashboards have certainly evolved but they chunky switches were so to suggest equipment and opulence. Today's bling is having everything lighting up in whatever striking elemental colour and chintzy chrome everywhere.

I have only ever seen one on the road so even though it had a lowly Vauxhall badge, it was still quite exclusive and more so than the 4 wheeled oxymoron; the Manta Exclusive.

I don't think the badge stops it being sub-zero. If anything, not being hampered by a Bavarian roundel makes it more appealing. Indeed, a German badge would probably consign it to the uncool bin. I also think that it was probably owned only by dedicated fans and not shallow fashionistas. This car should be sub-zero in the same way the fastest estate of the day, a Volvo 850R should be sub-zero.
For me, it is the police affiliation which kills it and the Lotus Carlton is only cool instead.

Last edited by Fruity; 17-12-18 at 19:37.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Cool Wall

Tags
carlton , lotus

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page