Lotus Carlton - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Cool Wall This lounge has been dedicated to Mark Cullen who tragically passed away on 07-04-08. The Cool Wall was Marks idea so it's only right it has his name attached.

View Poll Results: Lotus Carlton
Sub Zero 71 43.03%
Cool 67 40.61%
Uncool 16 9.70%
Seriously Uncool 11 6.67%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

Way too Vauxhall to be cool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Speed alone cannot define a car cool. This one is the wrong side of coolness.
jay w

remember this car was designed and built at a time when car manufacturers were still pushing the boundries of performance, not that long before it the F40 had stamped its mark, followed by the Maclaren F1, all the carton did was take the principle and execute it in what was a mundane 4 door saloon, however the engineering that took it from being a mundane 4 door saloon to the worlds fastest 4 door saloon was massive......

For me it is sub zero not because of its speed, but what it is as a complete unit, it was the last of the 'bonkers' saloon cars, after this they were sanitised with speed limiters and the likes of, also its looks were slightly off the wall as well with a degree of aggression as well, yes it had the basic outline of a carlton but that's where it ended, and it is one of the few 'collectible' european GM cars as well

as a slight thread divert, what is people's issues with Vauxhall? having worked for them for many years they appear to be no better or worse than any other car manufacturer, through the likes of the burberry brigade they now have a rep for producing cars that are slightly chavvy, but remember they are shifting more cars than Alfa, so must be doing something right, in addition Vauxhall/Opel are one of the few profit making sides of the GM operation.

as a final comment, the Lotus Carlton was actually Opel designed and built, the chassis plates and all documentation was marked Adam Opel, the badge was the only reference to Vauxhall.

In order to fully appreciate it you have got to drive it.....the sight of a Porsche owner going backwards in your rear view mirror when you have 4 hairy arsed mechanics sat in the car with you is one i will never forget........the rolloking afterwards from the service manager was something else.....the guy we had just blown away on the M55 in the Porsche........was the Lotus Carlton owner, he was gutted to see his car disappearing into the distance

AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
absolutely sub zero.
That car was completely mental when it came out.
I was just a kid and the guy across the road had one and i used to stare at every morning on the way to school.
Those wide arches and fat wheels were mesmerizing.
Completely insane car for the time it was around and still to this day is faster than most 4 door saloon performance cars.
I still want one.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay w View Post
remember this car was designed and built at a time when car manufacturers were still pushing the boundries of performance, not that long before it the F40 had stamped its mark, followed by the Maclaren F1, all the carton did was take the principle and execute it in what was a mundane 4 door saloon, however the engineering that took it from being a mundane 4 door saloon to the worlds fastest 4 door saloon was massive......

For me it is sub zero not because of its speed, but what it is as a complete unit, it was the last of the 'bonkers' saloon cars, after this they were sanitised with speed limiters and the likes of, also its looks were slightly off the wall as well with a degree of aggression as well, yes it had the basic outline of a carlton but that's where it ended, and it is one of the few 'collectible' european GM cars as well

as a slight thread divert, what is people's issues with Vauxhall? having worked for them for many years they appear to be no better or worse than any other car manufacturer, through the likes of the burberry brigade they now have a rep for producing cars that are slightly chavvy, but remember they are shifting more cars than Alfa, so must be doing something right, in addition Vauxhall/Opel are one of the few profit making sides of the GM operation.

as a final comment, the Lotus Carlton was actually Opel designed and built, the chassis plates and all documentation was marked Adam Opel, the badge was the only reference to Vauxhall.

In order to fully appreciate it you have got to drive it.....the sight of a Porsche owner going backwards in your rear view mirror when you have 4 hairy arsed mechanics sat in the car with you is one i will never forget........the rolloking afterwards from the service manager was something else.....the guy we had just blown away on the M55 in the Porsche........was the Lotus Carlton owner, he was gutted to see his car disappearing into the distance
Haha. brilliant story. i would have loved to of been there.
On a side note. I think the vectra has a lot to answer for with regards to the Vauxhall reputation.
Other than that there cars are not that offensive to be honest.
My mother has a brand new Astra SRI with the full bodykit and 18" wheels. And i secretly quite like it.
Although it looks far quicker than it actually is, But the chicks don't know that.
jay w

Quote:
Originally Posted by crespo2121 View Post
Haha. brilliant story. i would have loved to of been there.
On a side note. I think the vectra has a lot to answer for with regards to the Vauxhall reputation.
Other than that there cars are not that offensive to be honest.
My mother has a brand new Astra SRI with the full bodykit and 18" wheels. And i secretly quite like it.
Although it looks far quicker than it actually is, But the chicks don't know that.

we were close to losing our jobs at the time, it was only the fact that we were all lotus trained to work on the car that we sort of got away with it, from then on we had to test drive them with the workshop controller with us...

In order to sell the Lotus the dealer had to nominate 5 mechanics, 2 sales people and 2 parts people, they were all trained by lotus and then were the only people who could support the Lotus Carlton

they were pigs to work on, especially the gearboxes and turbos

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
The Carlton was, of course, uncool in the extreme but the Lotus Carlton was cool in its time, became a bit sad and therefore uncool and is now probably nudging classic status and can be cool again IMHO.

Let's face it, it was a defining piece of niche market establishment that we now take for granted with the plethora of M5's, RS6's, AMG'd Mercs out there. Under its dreary sheep's skin the Lotus Carlton had the heart of a lion and the underpinnings were enough to make any afficonado nod appreciatively. Didn't it even have the biggest vented discs on any production car at the time? Its performance was dramatic enough to raise questions in the House and have the worthy Guardianistas spluttering into their lattes (or whatever they drank back then) about the ridiculous speeds it could achieve - how cool is that?

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
AO Silver Member

30k with less than 5k on the clock. Bargain when you consider how quick it is and that it will be a classic if it is not already.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lotus-Carlton-...3%3A1|294%3A50
AO Silver Member

County: Sao Tome upon The Grand Union
i dont care if its a Q car....i know they were having a laugh...but i refuse to see the irony...sorry, uncool.
AO Silver Member

County: -
There's one fairly local to me and it has been slightly tampered with, mega cool car.... it has surprised a few skylines etc with it's GSI 3000 badges
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire
cool - brings back memories of my teenage years
Unregistered

County: East Sussex

Member car:

156GTA

simply LOVING that story Jay!

Anyone that doesn't think that this car is anything cooler than seriously cool should go and pop the kettle on, make yourself a horlicks and settle down in your comfy armchair with your slippers on and continue your incessant complaining about how things were so much better 'in the old days'

miserable old gits
keithyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
Its performance was dramatic enough to raise questions in the House and have the worthy Guardianistas spluttering into their lattes (or whatever they drank back then) about the ridiculous speeds it could achieve - how cool is that?
I believe the capuccino was king of the hill in those pre-skinny decaf days.

How can it not be cool when safety-tsars (or is it czars, I'm never sure) wanted to ban it.

AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Not an Alfa

Cool.

Not sub-zero, no.

But very cool !

Keithyboy -- tsar, czar, both acceptable
jay w

Part of the reason the the requested ban was this:

Vauxhall had just sold a lot of 24V Senators to police forces, Vauxhall had neglected to let the police forces know that they were just about to import a car that could literally blow the doors off a Senny 154Mph V's 176Mph of the LC.....

This caused outrage, made worse by the fact that all of the RHD issue LC's had been sold and deposits taken from them, so the old bill couldn't have one

Finally Vauxhall agreed to install restrictors to them, they were then wound back to 155Mph, but it was dead easy to bypass and ome of the early cars had no limiter at all

I have seen a Vauxhall Omega with full Lotus carlton running gear, the car was badged as a 2.0 GLS, aside from the DTM style wiper and slightly wider wheels and tyres this car looked standard, it was evil and very little got past it in the traffic light grand prix

keithyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay w View Post
Part of the reason the the requested ban was this:

Vauxhall had just sold a lot of 24V Senators to police forces, Vauxhall had neglected to let the police forces know that they were just about to import a car that could literally blow the doors off a Senny 154Mph V's 176Mph of the LC.....

This caused outrage, made worse by the fact that all of the RHD issue LC's had been sold and deposits taken from them, so the old bill couldn't have one

Finally Vauxhall agreed to install restrictors to them, they were then wound back to 155Mph, but it was dead easy to bypass and ome of the early cars had no limiter at all

I have seen a Vauxhall Omega with full Lotus carlton running gear, the car was badged as a 2.0 GLS, aside from the DTM style wiper and slightly wider wheels and tyres this car looked standard, it was evil and very little got past it in the traffic light grand prix
Those 24v Senators were cracking cars too.

Damien_C

I love em. Would like to have one sometime.

Unregistered

County: East Sussex

Member car:

156GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6hughes View Post
cool but not a patch on the sierra rs cosworth
Errrrrrrm. You sure?

Cossie: a 2000cc, 200 hp. Single turbo. 3dr hatch

VERSUS

a 3.7l 377hp 170mph twin turbo NUTTER that you can scare the crap outta the kids, in comfort. And easily get them in and out of.

Ok. Not a patch. Never.

Guess you'd prefer a new Focus RS to the new Skyline?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Spider 3.0 V6

It's a Vauxhall Carlton ffs how can it be cool, even with a Lotus badge?
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

It's engineered by Lotus ffs, how can it be uncool, even if it does look like a Vauxhall Carlton?
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
Sub-zero.

I remember first seeing this at a motorshow when I was 8. I harrassed my Dad to the point of being annoying about buying one. He never did though

Would definately still fancy an unmolested example in my lottery barn of cars.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
It's engineered by Lotus ffs, how can it be uncool, even if it does look like a Vauxhall Carlton?
Its a carlton on roids. And its been given the full lotus treatment.
Its completely sub zero.
I remember when this came out. There was nothing else like it. People tried to can the thing it was so scary.
And for that reason alone its legendary in my eyes.
Darren156

Uncool for me. Never really liked them, and having a mental engine is great but doesn't make what is basically a Vauxhall Carlton cool, let alone SZ,

Bag of dross in my eyes. Fast dross though.

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim145 View Post
Sub Zero
The first supersaloon and still the benchmark all are judged by. When it was launched only an F40 would out accelerate it - can you imagine Vauxhall launching a Vectra that would beat everything except a Veyron? Thats what the Carlton did.
It caused uproar at launch - there were calls to ban this "176 mph family car"
Awesome car. I want one.
^^ What Jim said... Absolutely sub zero!!!!!

jay w

interesting how this car has created quite a few differing opinions

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Cool Wall

Tags
carlton , lotus

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page