488 Pista - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Cool Wall This lounge has been dedicated to Mark Cullen who tragically passed away on 07-04-08. The Cool Wall was Marks idea so it's only right it has his name attached.

View Poll Results: fart?
sub zero 4 25.00%
cool 4 25.00%
uncool 2 12.50%
seriously uncool 2 12.50%
meh 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

14Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 34 Old 15-11-18 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 34 Old 15-11-18 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
ugh
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Imagine parking that in Morrisons as you go for your all day brekkie.
Elvis Presley and keithyboy like this.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Imagine trying to get in or out of it again after you'e had your all day brekkie...
Elvis Presley and Keithy like this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
struggling with this one. It fails the essence of cool test, yet I don't think it gives a stuff for that test. Which could make it very, very cool. Or conceited. In which case, it fails again.
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I expect if you own one you'll either think it's pretty ****ing cool or not give a **** whether it is or not. If you aspire to own one (unrealistically or otherwise) you'll say it's seriously uncool whilst secretly thinking it's sub-zero. Personally it's not my sort of thing at all, though I can see why people get all excited by it. I don't personally think mid-engined supercars are cool, they are too ostentatious and there's nowhere to put the dog. I'm going to say seriously uncool whilst acknowledging that I'm seriously uncool myself so nobody really cares about my opinion.

Auto Express - six issues for a quid. Offer must end soon (and then immediately start up again).

Free poor quality torch/T-cut/I luv my VW Polo sew-on badge
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Am I alone in thinking that they haven't made more than three good looking cars since the 308?
Dave Brand and Elvis Presley like this.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
Am I alone in thinking that they haven't made more than three good looking cars since the 308?
I quite like the 288 GTO, F40, 328, theres got to be a couple more surely
(Post Link) post #9 of 34 Old 20-11-18 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I'm with Paddy. I think it's a (non)creative loop. Obviously makes cash.
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by duemila View Post
I quite like the 288 GTO, F40, 328, theres got to be a couple more surely
I certainly wouldn't consider the F40 good looking and I'd have to Google the others. For me there are a couple of Californias I like but I'm struggling after that.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

What about the 456 GT, billed as the 'modern Daytona'. I seem to remember that as being quite pretty. Of course, it wasn't mid engined.

But generally speaking, Ferrari's don't do a lot for me. I'm Aston through and through.
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
What about the 456 GT, billed as the 'modern Daytona'. I seem to remember that as being quite pretty. Of course, it wasn't mid engined.

But generally speaking, Ferrari's don't do a lot for me. I'm Aston through and through.
The 456GT hasn't aged well at all. It looks a bit like those Ford based things Ginetta were punting in the late 80s.

The 355 is a pretty car and probably the last one that really got my attention in the looks department. The 288GTO was also quite quite stunning but then that was largely a pumped up 308 in the looks department.

The F40 certainly wasn't pretty but it was purposeful. It looked mean.

Last edited by keithyboy; 22-11-18 at 07:42.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Yeah, I have to agree actually. I looked up some pictures after I posted, and it looks rather awkward now. Strange, because I definitely remember it as pretty when it came out.
AO Platinum Member

I think the 456GT was a bit wonky looking from day one The 550 Maranello looked better to my eyes.

I too agree that there hasn't been many a pretty or beautiful looking Ferrari since the 308. But aesthetics and appreciation of aesthetics changes over time/with generations, so maybe we are blind to the looks of some of the later cars.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Uncool.
It's an expensive in your face Ferrari. Would love to drive one but would prefer the normally aspirated 458 which to me is equally as pretty but will out sound this muted turbo.

This is about being cool which is nothing to do with how they look or drive. Personally I don't even rate the 308 (Magnum car) as cool mainly down to price. Today in the UK they are approximately 3 x what you would have paid for one when new.
Last cool Fezza is 308GT4 or Mondial (though today you won't get one for less than about £30k unless it is need of restoration).

Whilst I'm on the exotic sports car thing, in the past I have said all Lamborghinis are cool.
They're not, in fact as much as I love the Miura I don't think they're cool either any more. Why? Because they're silly money now £1m+.

Uracco, that's a cool Lamborghini, though probably still relatively expensive I guess :-(

Aston Martin on the other hand. They're all cool That statement just breaks all the cool car rules though!

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Malc has hit it on the head with the 308GT4 and the Uracco. Many years ago my mate and I visited a tiny local garage in Baschurch. In there he had...

A Triumph Stag he had just fixed the roof on
A 308GT4
An Espada

It was the coolest garage I had ever visited and he even let my mate drive the Espada. All the above cars will always be cool to me just because of that day. My mate went on to buy a Uracco.

I got a 306 diseasel.

AO Platinum Member

there is something a bit... kebab shop... about modern Ferraris.
Elvis Presley likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
There's hope of a bit of purity in the Monza SP1 and 2 in comparison. I went to a talk at the Design Museum last year where a guy spoke about his job of defining a brand identity DNA for Ferrari and he said it wasn't possible because more than one new model is developed at the same time etc..
It's more like they are trapped in the need to build in obsolescence every two to three years so customers keep replacing their cars with "new and better" versions. It's obvious how the 488 has cone about in a need to get people to trade in their existing Ferraris.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
...a guy spoke about his job of defining a brand identity DNA for Ferrari and he said it wasn't possible because more than one new model is developed at the same time etc.
No offense to your profession Cue2, but as a member of the great unwashed and a casual observer, bull5hit is spouted by those who design cars.

Year after year after year, we hear these cliches:

"The next generation of VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda will have a more 'emotional design'; I'm not sure what 'emotion' they had in mind (boredom?), as they unveil another dull as ditch-water potato.

"We have design studios in Paris, Rome and Vienna, so we can capture the european light in our designs." Oh. And look. Here comes the latest slab of ugly shi5mobile from Kia. So much for the benefits of 'European light'.

"Design-wise, we want our customers to draw the link from the 3er and their later desires to own a 5er." Eh? Who the chuff are you kidding? No one buys a 5er because of 'generational visual links to a 3er'; their company plonks it on the company car list simply because the PCP payments were a bit lower than those of an E-Class.

Obviously, there is credibility in car design and there are some excellent designs out there. But if I have to hear about 'emotional' design or 'family links' no one gives a stuff about ever again, I think I'll scream.
Starkers likes this.

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
AO Platinum Member

I agree. For Ferrari to be described as a "brand" is very sad. The cars should be imbued with Ferrari-ness by virtue of the location and process that can only be a Ferrari. Once it has to be analysed , then they've lost it and I feel the Monza has returned to form. "We have put some emotion into the cars" is not authentic and I agree it's kind of creepy when said about Mercedes or VW. If it needs to be said....
Scudetto likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Ferrari - and I would argue Alfa, too - are not plebby, trashy 'brands'. When they're not busy undermining themselves, they need to acknowledge they are leagues ahead of 'brands'; they're automotive icons. I think - Ferrari for sure - plays too fast and loose with this treasured status.
AO Platinum Member

You could argue that insisting on certain ingredients for the Giulia and Stelvio such as Rwd by Marchionne were "brand" and stopping the Giulia based on a Chrysler fwd platform was right? It's ironic that the 3yr cycle of obsolescence would be good to copy from Ferrari as this lack of product refresh is one of Alfas weaknesses.
AO Platinum Member

I think... let's just start with a good and competitive product that raises the bar a bit. Not dross dressed in flim-flam 'emotional design' nonsense, or 'down the road graphics', or 'aggressive styling' and other toe curling codswallop about something that anyone with half an eye can tell looks like a crock of old shi5.
Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
Iím struggling to think of more than 3 but the F355 and F12 immediately spring to mind. Looks are subjective as well, I think the FF is also a great looker, others probably wonít. I like the 550 too, didnít look anything special compared to what Ferrari offered before it but itís subtly gorgeous

This is minging though. I like the standard 488 but this looks very silly indeed
(Post Link) post #25 of 34 Old 15-01-19 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I saw a Fezza the other day, the bread van one - for a moment I thought it was ok.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Cool Wall

Tags
488 , pista

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page