Kia Stinger - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Cool Wall This lounge has been dedicated to Mark Cullen who tragically passed away on 07-04-08. The Cool Wall was Marks idea so it's only right it has his name attached.

View Poll Results: Well stung?
Sub zero 3 7.50%
Cool 21 52.50%
Uncool 9 22.50%
Seriously uncool 1 2.50%
Meh 6 15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

12Likes

AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

GQV

Our last 2 family cars have been Kia’s and they’re faultless. I was in our local dealership last month and they don’t expect to sell a single one of these, it’s purely as exercise to showcase the technology Kia are using, and to emphasise that the same / similar technology goes into the Rio, Ce’ed, Sportage etc - brilliant intuition and a great way to grow the brand
Elvis Presley likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Like the opposite of the Giulia which showcases with the model at the higher but does not sell lower price cars to benefit from the effect. Brilliant ,eh?
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Like the opposite of the Giulia which showcases with the model at the higher but does not sell lower price cars to benefit from the effect. Brilliant ,eh?
Alfa's business model has never seemed to focus on selling cars. I've always found it a refreshing concept.

I drove past the Kia place near the Macron earlier whilst dropping Tom off to witness Bolton losing. They had a bright yellow one outside. I liked it a lot.
TheGrimJeeper likes this.
AO Platinum Member

If the Giulia had looked as proportionally good as the Stinger I think we'd see a few more around. It's not so three-box looking. Saw a grey one recently ,which camouflages the fussy bits, and it looked impressive. FCA is working with Kia Hyundai on some projects so it'll be interesting to see if Alfa benefits!
Elvis Presley likes this.
AO Member

County: Warwickshire
Not too sure about this tbh. It's supposed to be a cruiser with a bit of punch on the right foot. I haven't seen too many in person so it's hard to make a decision, meh until I do
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Giulia QV

its ****.

inside, outside, and to drive. and a visual mess and offensive to the eye at most angles. Pictures do it a favour.

well average to drive to be fair. people just wet themselves as its an kia. no better than anything comparably price and way overpriced for what it is in badge snob britain.

stupid route for kia to go down as they do what they do well and are right on point on most other cars, not the sportage though...a car for people who want a lot of metal for the money and have no idea how to drive, competently, safely or even well enough to pass a test from what ive seen. hyundai equivalent sportage is nicer and not driven by ******s who dont know what enough space is when overtaking cyclists.
duemila likes this.
AO Platinum Member

It's a halo car in the UK. They don't expect to sell many to actual people, just have them in the ads and parked outside the dealership when people come to look for Sportages.
AO Silver Member

County: Argyll and Bute
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpmmpt View Post
its ****.

inside, outside, and to drive. and a visual mess and offensive to the eye at most angles. Pictures do it a favour.

well average to drive to be fair. people just wet themselves as its an kia. no better than anything comparably price and way overpriced for what it is in badge snob britain.

stupid route for kia to go down as they do what they do well and are right on point on most other cars, not the sportage though...a car for people who want a lot of metal for the money and have no idea how to drive, competently, safely or even well enough to pass a test from what ive seen. hyundai equivalent sportage is nicer and not driven by ******s who dont know what enough space is when overtaking cyclists.
Predictable jealousy from a Guila owner - "its not a Guila so must be carp".
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

It's not a bad looking car, to be fair, but I'm not overly keen on the fast-back rear.
AO Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

GT 3.2

I'm sure its a good car, but its not cool.
AO Member

County: Surrey
Kia Stinger

Are we looking at the same car? Well proportioned?

From this angle it looks like parts of three completely different cars have been stuck together.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldie View Post
Predictable jealousy from a Guila owner - "its not a Guila so must be carp".
did you actually read what i wrote? clealry not as i said this was crap but plenty of other fine models.

typical alfista with grudge against giulia and stelvio and conquest buyers they bring.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieldvblue View Post
Are we looking at the same car? Well proportioned?

From this angle it looks like parts of three completely different cars have been stuck together.

its a mess ripped off audi and riced up and full of cheap plastics.

ive been to 3 local dealers in Essex as been browsing optimas (which is very decent for what it is) for my old man, of the 2 that are allowed to sell the ring stinger they have sold a grand total of 1 of the boggo spec between them and very little interest in it as the customer base has 0 interest in this sort of car and they are not getting any conquests to shift it or even test it. my test in the top of the range one was off the cuff. i would have thought i would have to let them no some time in advance, but such is the lack of interest.
AO Platinum Member

I find it difficult to believe he was serious, especially about an owner of the Quadrifolio version...
AO Member

County: New Zealand
Having worked on kia's and hyundai's over 10 years, i would steer well clear.

looks great on the exterior etc., but underneath it is cheap and nasty.

koreans are obsessed with copying, they hire european car designers to make their tin boxes look like audi's with the reliability of 2 dollar shop kids toy. that's why they offer a 7 year warranty on cars here and in australia.

Hyundai and kia sponsor everything, they have an aggressive marketing campaign to push a crap product. All the sheeple and millennial idiots buy them thinking they are great. they've got popular not through the quality of their product but through marketing.

they are we locally call in the industry a "5 year throwaway car" , they are mutton dressed up as lamb.

have you seen a 5 year old hyundai or kia? how did it look and run? most end up in wreckers or sold for scrap metal.
duemila likes this.

Last edited by letholdus; 31-05-18 at 09:33.
AO Platinum Member

Ive heard exactly the same from an after-sales guy who's an aquaintance. He said after a couple of drinks that you buy it run it until the warranty is out and throw it away because they're junk. (Less polite words used) Peter Schreyer is like royalty in Korea for what he's done for Kia. Not bad for a company that started out by buying up the old Cortina tooling and getting Giugiaro to restyle it!
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
@letholdus

No different to VAG then.
AO Platinum Member

VAG was saved by Giugiaro too doing them the Golf . And then they bought it to stop them working for the Chinese. He can't use his own name now on car projects.
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I've now upgraded my opinion to sub zero.
MalcQV likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
I find it difficult to believe he was serious, especially about an owner of the Quadrifolio version...
maybe, there was something 'fishy' about his comments...
AO Member

Member car:

4C

This review mentions rattles and criticizes ride quality:

https://www.caradvice.com.au/641107/...r-330s-review/

I've seen rattles mentioned in other reviews as well.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Ive heard exactly the same from an after-sales guy who's an aquaintance. He said after a couple of drinks that you buy it run it until the warranty is out and throw it away because they're junk. (Less polite words used) Peter Schreyer is like royalty in Korea for what he's done for Kia. Not bad for a company that started out by buying up the old Cortina tooling and getting Giugiaro to restyle it!
they are commodities. truly white goods. that said it fills an important hole for lots of buyers in the uk, and kudos for that, there's nothing wrong with that.

my beef is this particular model. We are led to believe that its something amazing when its not, simply because its so different to what they have done before, yet people throw the 'haters' or 'badge snob' line at you for pointing it out, or say if XXX maker had done it you wouldn't be saying that.

It takes away from the Hyundai i30N somewhat which is a really cracking car, way overpriced imo (and imo to ever take many buyers from the other hot hatch makers) but very well done on all levels and shows what can be done. The stinger is a meme, pure and simple. the name itself is a dead giveaway for that...
AO Platinum Member

The Stinger is a Charger/Mustang competitor in the US but a car Kia customers here can see in tv ads and on the forecourt to feel they associate with..
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
The Stinger is a Charger/Mustang competitor in the US but a car Kia customers here can see in tv ads and on the forecourt to feel they associate with..
is it i dont think it is. its a german gc competior
AO Platinum Member

Who knows ?
The showcar was designed in Frankfurt but the production car gained some [email protected] like an early seventies Celica

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Cool Wall

Tags
kia , stinger

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page