Super Glue Nightmare - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 30-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dorset/Hampshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 159

Super Glue Nightmare

Hi all,

Thought I would share my experience.

I own a 58' plate 1.9JTDm 159.

Yesterday, as the weather was nice I fancied giving the Alfa a wash and hand wax. Whilst doing so, I inadvertently took off my 1.9 JTDm badge.

'********', I thought. I quickly went inside and fetched a tube of super glue, thinking it would be a quick fix, but this is where things started to go south.

Applying a small dab to the back of the badge, I reapplied it to the rear bumper. Stepping away, I realised they were askew and decided to take the badge off and reapply.

This is where things really went wrong. Stupidly, I was under the impression that superglue would come off car paint as it would any other surface; difficult, but possible. On my carbonio black however, it stuck (some might say like glue). I got the pressure washer out, nothing. I got boiling water, still not budging. Google threw up the suggestion of nail polish remover, still nothing.

So what did I do? I scrubbed from about 3:00pm to 10:30pm and the most part was not even off. Constantly applying boiling water and car shampoo did do something, but progress was mind numbingly slow.

Looking in the shed for different products, I came across a scratch remover. Though this may seem counterintuitive, because the scratch remover uses micro diminishing abrasives, it did get the superglue off! I only started using this from about 10:00pm onwards and for around an hour the next day, but the scratch remover worked better than any other product I had used.

Therefore, if you are ever unfortunate enough to find superglue on your car paint, use scratch remover! Works an absolute charm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire
Lucky escape and well done!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
glue , nightmare , super

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page