T cut damage to 147 paintwork - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 11-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Unhappy T cut damage to 147 paintwork

Hi

I posted this on the 147 section and got adviced to ask you guys.

I appear to have done something terrible to my Alfa...damaged her paint!!

Id scratched the paint last year going past some bushes so decided to give the whole car a T-cut treatment. I applied it then polished it all off as instructed, the scratches looked a lot better.

However a month or so later the paint has started to fade in patches. It looks to be where I dabbed the t-cut on before rubbing in. If i wet the areas the damage seems to disappear momentarily. This suggests its just the top shiny layer that is damaged and not the paint underneath.

I've attached a couple of pictures (not the best), one of which has a wet line down it.

Does anyone know how i might fix this??

Thanks

Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paint1.jpg (34.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Paint2.jpg (49.7 KB, 22 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
If I'm correct I thinking the t cut has probably stained the lacquer leaving the patches. See if you can use a strong cutting polish or if your brave enough use a compound an buff back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

The paint may look like that due to being too aggressive with the polishing or it could indicate you have removed too much paint. The first option is to use a milder polish and pad, the second option would probably mean a trip to a bodyshop
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Sadly T-Cut is the wrong product to use on modern clearcoated paints. The abrasives are very harsh and non-diminishing, meaning they continue to grind into your paint no matter how long you work it. Ideally you want a cutting compound with the correct abrasives and then follow it (refine) with a polishing compound. A good combo that's readily available is the Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish.
Also good prep work is vital, so the car should be clean and at the very least clay barred before you start or you're going to be grinding bonded environmental contamination into you lacquer, meaning you won't get the best results.
Once you've compounded and polished you should wipe the area down with isopropyl alcohol to remove any oils the compounds contained and then apply a layer of sealant or wax to protect the finish.

www.facebook.com/tjr5150 For all your valeting and detailing needs.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
147 , cut , damage , paintwork

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page