Tips for rotary - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mpjg
  • 1 Post By lowejackson

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 07-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Midlothian
Tips for rotary

So tried my hand with a rotary. Thought I'd done a good job until the sun came out yesterday and it's all machine marks as though I'd not buffed it up. Any tips? Faster, slower different pad prior to wax?
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Really need some further information on what products, pads and speeds you were using. Could be something as simple as holograms which are quite easy to remove.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 08-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Was using meguiers UC then tech wax 2.0.
The rotary is a silver line and used at speed 2-3 with blue foam pad for UC.

County: West Lothian
Garage
I will look out a dw rotary guide tonight and send you it, sure i have the pdf file on my laptop

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
purplebug likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

The DaveKG guide to using a rotary http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ypolishing.pdf This was written many years ago and so any of the polishes have changed but it still provides a great insight into using a rotary

No idea about the blue pad as there is no standard colour systems. Any idea who made the pad? As for the Megs UC, this can be quite aggressive and so is probably not the best starting product. I would start with something like Megs 205 or any equivalent. Always do a test spot starting with the least aggressive combination (pads and polish) to see if this does the job before considering moving up anything stronger.

From my ageing memory, speed 1 is about 1000rpm, 2 is about 1500rpm and 3 is 2000rpm. If not experienced with a rotary I would stay at speed 1 to 1.5. Keeping the speeds down will make it easier to work with and will still do the job. I use Megs 101 and find this works perfectly at about 1500-1800rpm and I finish at the minimum speed

Keep cleaning the pad, a dirty pad can work wonders at introducing more swirls.

It could be all you need now is a finishing pad and polish eg 205. Do a test section to see if this removes all the marks
purplebug likes this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 08-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

The pads are just silver line ones. Some one mentioned UC was the same as 205 but for general sale i.e. Halfords.
I tried it on boot but it look great like I said until the sun came oot.
There was a softer pad do maybe should try that with a polish prior to wax?
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Meguiars Ultimate Compound is the consumer version of 105 and so is can be quite aggressive, although this is also down to the type of pad, speed, pressure.

Using a softer pad with a milder polish (eg Megs 205) is worth trying.

As it is always easy to spend someone else's money I would suggest buying some 3M pads and a decent backing plate as these do make polishing easier, the 3M backing plate is very good but so are the Gloss It and Flexipads versions. I have kept talking about Megs 205 but there are lots of good alternatives from Optimum, Scholl, Menzerna etc etc.

Are you using something to wipe away the polishing oils eg IPA, CarPro Eraser or similar. These things allow you to check your progress as the oils can hide minor marks. I use Optimum polishes as one of the nice things is a wipe with a damp cloth will remove the polishing oils but just buy whatever brand you fancy. I would suggest getting small bottles as one litre bottles will last most people many many years
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 08-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

I was just buffing UC residual off with a cloth. Need more products then lol need to wait til payday haha

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
rotary , tips

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page