Smeary windscreen getting me down :( - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 40 Old 07-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Smeary windscreen getting me down :(

Anyone got any advice for a deep clean of a windscreen?

I've tried:

1. Washing with my regular shampoo (Autobrite Purple Velvet)
2. Angelwax Vision
3. Claying
4. Simoniz Bug/Tar remover

Tried deep cleaning and applying double coat of Angelwax H2Go, but always get pretty terrible results from the H2Go.. Lasts maybe a week, and I end up with a smeary crappy mess which I try and apply screen wash to clear but it ain't going....

Using Bosch Aerotwin wipers less than a year old.. Still nice and quiet and in good nick as far as I can see.....

I tried RainX about a year ago now and didn't really like it... I'm wondering if I've got some of that still bonded to the glass and I'm getting rubbish results since that....

So, any deep decontamination/stripping back to bare glass tips?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
I use RainX and it works. Use RainX as a clay lubricant for a proper clean up. It is generally so good that at speed I simply don't need the wipers.
(Post Link) post #3 of 40 Old 07-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
I use RainX and it works. Use RainX as a clay lubricant for a proper clean up. It is generally so good that at speed I simply don't need the wipers.
Yea I found RainX worked well enough for a day or two as well.... But again that finish diminished pretty quickly for me as well...
(Post Link) post #4 of 40 Old 09-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

What about products like this: Clear Vue Glass Polish (Low Dust) - By Autobrite Direct - Glass Cleaners & Sealants - Exterior Cleaning

Anyone used some? Fancy something aggressive/deep-cleany that I can get my polisher working on....
AO Member

County: Hampshire
I never did have a smeary screen, but the 159 has auto intermittent wipers that go absolutely crazy with a greasy windscreen. My first few months with the car I tried a variety of cleaners before finding what works. No doubt there are other solutions, but what worked for me was:
Just the once: a heavy-duty de-grease with white spirit. Then a polish with Turtle Wax Intensive Cream Glass Polish, which left the glass noticeably smoother to the touch. The next couple of car washes I followed with Tesco Glass Cleaner to remove any wax or detergent residue left on the screen, and the auto wipers gradually became more sensible.
About 6 weeks later I gave it one more go with the Glass Polish, and a squirt with the Glass Cleaner whenever the wipers became erratic, as well as after every wash.
Three months down the road the auto wipers are reliably well behaved, suggesting that the screen is now clean enough.

That works for me. If Turtle Wax and Tesco are not your style, no doubt your preferred brands could do as well if not better.

Last edited by ChrisH77; 09-12-15 at 19:46.
AO Silver Member

For clearing away an 'unseen' residue on the screen I've used washing up liquid. In general I don't use screen polishes as in my view (pardon the pun) the benefit isn't there over and above general screen wash. Often it's residue left on the wiper blades which re contaminates the glass. I give the blades a good clean each time I wash the car.

It can be easy to get unwanted polish/wax onto the glass though. I had this issue recently when using AG Aquawax...some got on the screen and I didn't notice it....until it rained!

Unimpressed by cars with less than 4 cylinders or below 1600cc.....and don't get me started on hybrids
(Post Link) post #7 of 40 Old 10-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mymatemarmite View Post
For clearing away an 'unseen' residue on the screen I've used washing up liquid. In general I don't use screen polishes as in my view (pardon the pun) the benefit isn't there over and above general screen wash. Often it's residue left on the wiper blades which re contaminates the glass. I give the blades a good clean each time I wash the car.

It can be easy to get unwanted polish/wax onto the glass though. I had this issue recently when using AG Aquawax...some got on the screen and I didn't notice it....until it rained!
Screen wash ain't touching this stuff, just makes it look crappy and smeary!

I've made a point of cleaning the wiper blades the last few times I washed the car too.. Shampoo'd them down with the Purple Velvet, wiped clean with a microfibre, then used a microfibre damp with a spritz of Angelwax Vision too...

I've not used any liquid/spray waxes in a long time, only Fusso99, Autoglym HD, and some Cherry Glaze in the last 6 months.. 99% sure none of that went on the windscreen!
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

05 156v6 veloce

Ive always used vinegar on my car windscreens and windows,also cleans windscreen wipers well too...

Just put some vinegar onto a cloth and pinch the windscreen wiper pulling the cloth along its length..
steveisfrowning likes this.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Hi. Have you thought about cerium oxide? It's easily available and very effective as a glass polish. . It'll take around 90 minutes to do the job as you need to mask off the surrounding area. You use a polish pad on an electric drill with the cerium oxide paste. It worked wonders for me getting rid of an arc of small scratches caused by previous owner. It may sound a bit scary - going at your windscreen with an electric drill- but there are a few videos on YouTube that show how to do it.
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Neat washing up liquid in abundance does the trick, keep scrubbing away and removes all traces of grease road film etc. .
AO Silver Member

County: Papamoa Beach

Member car:

FIAT 500C Abarth

Am I allowed to suggest methylated spirits and a scrunched-up ball of newspaper...? That's what I use on the inside, and I'm sure it works on the outside too.

I do occasionally use a glass cream polish on the outside to remove water spots. It works best in conjunction with white scouring pads supplied with the cream and intended for this application; DO NOT use any other type of scouring pad, as the usual green 3M type WILL scratch glass!

I've never been a fan of Rain-X on screens with wipers (eventually results in an annoying film of water being left behind by the wipers - disappears quickly but can be enough to confuse a rain sensor). Rain-X is great on side windows and mirrors, and rear windows that don't have a wiper, and helps to prevent the buildup of water spots in the future.

-Alex

'15 Giulietta 1.4 TCT QV-line, '08 FIAT 500, '08 G Spyder, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
AO Member

County: suffolk
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexGS View Post
Am I allowed to suggest methylated spirits and a scrunched-up ball of newspaper...? That's what I use on the inside, and I'm sure it works on the outside too.
-Alex
newspaper no need for anything else and then clean wipers should work ok
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

I would suggest stripping everything off the glass with some cerium oxide (as previously suggested) which would then allow you to see if it is the glass or something else i.e. wipers

CarPro sell a product called Ceriglass which also comes with a hand polishing rayon pad. This would be no good for correcting glass scratches but will remove almost anything from the windscreen
(Post Link) post #14 of 40 Old 18-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Well I picked up a bottle of Autoglym Car Glass Polish from Halfrauds this evening.. Expecting a 5" Rayon glass pad in the post today/tomorrow too, so will go for a deeeeeeep clean of the screen tomorrow if the weather holds out!
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Well I picked up a bottle of Autoglym Car Glass Polish from Halfrauds this evening.. Expecting a 5" Rayon glass pad in the post today/tomorrow too, so will go for a deeeeeeep clean of the screen tomorrow if the weather holds out!
What machine are you using?
You need a rotary to effectively polish glass as DA's don't generate enough heat.
(Post Link) post #16 of 40 Old 21-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommywho156 View Post
What machine are you using?
You need a rotary to effectively polish glass as DA's don't generate enough heat.
Poorboys 900w DAS6 Pro, at your recommendation

The Autoglym polish recommends hand-application, I figured getting the machine polisher on it would only help the situation!

Pad didn't turn up in the end, so I hand jobbed it instead!
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
It's a good machine but I've never used it to polish glass, I usually use my Makita rotary for that job. I'll give it a blast on the next available dry day to see if the extra 50w the PoorBoys machine has over most other Das6 Pro type machines makes a difference...
(Post Link) post #18 of 40 Old 21-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommywho156 View Post
It's a good machine but I've never used it to polish glass, I usually use my Makita rotary for that job. I'll give it a blast on the next available dry day to see if the extra 50w the PoorBoys machine has over most other Das6 Pro type machines makes a difference...
Given the application instructions for the AG glass polish, I'd be surprised if there's any real abrasives in there... Pretty much just apply to a clean screen with a microfibre or applicator in small overlapping circles, press harder on stubborn spots, allow to haze over, and buff off.... Can't for one second imagine that's actually polishing anything...

What's your glass polish/cleaner of choice?
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Instructions for Turtle Wax polish are exactly the same as quoted above for the Autoglym. I don't suppose it 'polishes' the glass in the abrasive sense, but it does seem to strip away most of the contamination. I say 'most of' because mine did need a second go before the auto-wipers worked ok, that is the smearing completely disappeared.
rxe
AO Silver Member

Seriously, I am not getting this problem. Machine polishing with cerium oxide? Really? I got in the 155 today, screen hasn't been wiped for 3 weeks, the wipers cleared the glass perfectly. When I say RainX, I mean the combined cleaner and water disperser (trigger pack), not the thicker stuff in the squeeze bottle.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Not tried using the AG Glass Polish with a rayon pad so would be interesting to hear how this works out. I have used the AG with foam polishing pads and it works well. I find working the polish until it starts to disappear works best for me. You should then just be able to clear any residue with a quick wipe of a MF cloth. Others prefer to apply and let it haze.

Using the AG by machine, keep the speeds nice and low.
(Post Link) post #22 of 40 Old 22-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
Seriously, I am not getting this problem. Machine polishing with cerium oxide? Really? I got in the 155 today, screen hasn't been wiped for 3 weeks, the wipers cleared the glass perfectly. When I say RainX, I mean the combined cleaner and water disperser (trigger pack), not the thicker stuff in the squeeze bottle.
Lucky you, I seriously am

I used the the bottle that you apply with a microfiber, but have had the same problems with H2Go (spray pump bottle)...

My pad came in the post yesterday, so will be giving it a go to see what difference it makes!
tejay

I've noticed my rear screen gets pretty mucky and considering I've a GT there is no wiper on that end of the car. How do you keep the rear view clear without the added benefit of a wiper.

AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejay View Post
I've noticed my rear screen gets pretty mucky and considering I've a GT there is no wiper on that end of the car. How do you keep the rear view clear without the added benefit of a wiper.
I just bought some AB ghost rider which I use on the rear screen, front screen of my 159 saloon, the water just slides off now in the mornings and I can see out the back window. :-)
tejay likes this.
rxe
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Lucky you, I seriously am

I used the the bottle that you apply with a microfiber, but have had the same problems with H2Go (spray pump bottle)...

My pad came in the post yesterday, so will be giving it a go to see what difference it makes!
Ok, humour me. Get thee to Halfords on the 26th. Pick up a trigger pack of rainX combined cleaner and water dispersant. Get a new pair if wiper blades if yours are over 6 months old. Proper Bosch ones, not Halfords generic.

Fit the blades and clean the screen with paper tissue not microfibres or anything fancy. No grease, no smears, no water .... for about 3 weeks....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
smeary , windscreen

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page