Matt Magnesio Grey - Confused? You Bet! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cue2

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 01-11-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Matt Magnesio Grey - Confused? You Bet!

So, brand new MMG GQV picked up Thursday. Had Gen-3 Glasscoat applied.

I must admit, even the application of the Gen-3 puzzled me a bit; how can you apply a ceramic chemical finish to matt paint without changing its appearance? I'm sure it is my mind playing tricks but it seems a little bit more 'shiny' than other MMG Alfas I've seen.

Next, I get given a very posh looking briefcase full of special treatments for the car, associated with the Gen-3 finish. One of these is a bottle of ceramic shampoo (https://www.gen-3glasscoat.com/pse-g...eramic-shampoo). I used it this morning, following the instructions given to me by the dealership, and half way through I suddenly had a massive wave of panic; it clearly isn't PH neutral by the markings on the bottle, and matt paint has to be washed using PH neutral substances apparently.

Surely Gen-3 and the associated chemicals must be 100% compatible for Alfa dealerships to offer it?

Member car history: 1986 GTV6, 2003 156 2.0 JTS, 2006 159 2.2 JTS, 2011 Giulietta 2.0 JTDM (170), 2015 Giulietta QV..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Argyll and Bute
Quote:
Originally Posted by aureol40012 View Post
So, brand new MMG GQV picked up Thursday. Had Gen-3 Glasscoat applied.

I must admit, even the application of the Gen-3 puzzled me a bit; how can you apply a ceramic chemical finish to matt paint without changing its appearance? I'm sure it is my mind playing tricks but it seems a little bit more 'shiny' than other MMG Alfas I've seen.

Next, I get given a very posh looking briefcase full of special treatments for the car, associated with the Gen-3 finish. One of these is a bottle of ceramic shampoo (https://www.gen-3glasscoat.com/pse-g...eramic-shampoo). I used it this morning, following the instructions given to me by the dealership, and half way through I suddenly had a massive wave of panic; it clearly isn't PH neutral by the markings on the bottle, and matt paint has to be washed using PH neutral substances apparently.

Surely Gen-3 and the associated chemicals must be 100% compatible for Alfa dealerships to offer it?
You've fallen for the sales spiel! The salesman tried very hard to convince me that £259 for Supaguard would be a good investment.

I've fallen for it once before many years ago and yes, for a few weeks water did bead off but the then ridiculous claims about making the paint resistant to chips, dirt sticking, birds s**te etc were nonsense. I notice the manufacturers are very careful about what they claim these days.

In reality its a commission booster for the salesman & profit booster for the dealership. Most customers will go for it as the cost adds little to the finance and the motor trade don't miss a trick when it comes to making a fast buck out of customers!

I'd forget about the stuff they gave you and just stick to what Alfa recommend. Have you not invalidated the paintwork warranty anyway?
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 01-11-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

No sales spiel, I had to ask about it. To be fair to Beechdales they didn't try to sell me a single add on, not even the service package. I guess it might be because I got such a massive amount off the price in the first place (through drivethedeal) that they knew not to even try......!

No, I went for it after doing a lot of research and comparisons, and talking to my mate who is a senior bod in paint technology for a leading chemical multinational.

Why do you say I've invalidated the paint warranty?
AO Silver Member

County: Argyll and Bute
Quote:
Originally Posted by aureol40012 View Post
No sales spiel, I had to ask about it. To be fair to Beechdales they didn't try to sell me a single add on, not even the service package. I guess it might be because I got such a massive amount off the price in the first place (through drivethedeal) that they knew not to even try......!

No, I went for it after doing a lot of research and comparisons, and talking to my mate who is a senior bod in paint technology for a leading chemical multinational.

Why do you say I've invalidated the paint warranty?
I'm not saying you have invalidated the paint warranty, but does Alfa (not the dealer) endorse it? It seems not if the supplied cleaners are not conforming to their requirements re the pH.
You know what manufacturers are like when it comes to warranty claims - they use any excuse to reject them.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
The Matt finish is a product of its roughness or texture anything that is applied will fill in these light catching recesses and gloss it up. Similarly , abrasion will take the high points down to make it more glossy.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
AO Silver Member

There's a MASSIVE difference between a glass coating and Suppaguard and the two can't really be compared. That being said, Suppaguard is pretty effective if applied correctly, which it never is by dealers. They just want your money and never spend the time to correctly apply it. I've known some dealers request that you use the amount required for one car on two or more cars and curing times are never adhered to.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Swissvax are excellent. I currently have their Shield sealant on my GT.
They are, however, pretty expensive and most people wouldn't pay a couple of hundred quid for a pot of wax...

Nanolex do a really good range of matte products, from pre-cleaners to sealants and quick detail sprays all at a more 'reasonable' cost to the average motorist/hobbyist detailer.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
bet , confused , grey , magnesio , matt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page