Preperation For Applying More Wax - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By A l f a
  • 1 Post By A6
  • 2 Post By Tommywho156

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 25-08-15 Thread Starter

County: Cork
Garage
Question Preperation For Applying More Wax

Blueee had a de-tar, fallout remover, clay, glaze & wax back in May, now it needs another coat of wax. Poorboy's Wheel Sealant was also applied & that's still doing it's job so I don't want to remove that & I don't really want to do a full de-tar, fallout remover & clay again (it shouldn't really need it) So taking all that into consideration what would you do before applying a new coat of wax ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 13 Old 28-08-15 Thread Starter

Garage
In the absence of any advice I think I'll give it a wash with -fairy liquid - an APC mix & cover the wheels so the wheel sealant doesn't get removed
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Part-Ex for a non-facelifted one?

(Post Link) post #4 of 13 Old 28-08-15 Thread Starter

Garage
Never

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
That 'orrible front will never polish out, you know.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GTV

hi there, the wax or sealant on is to protect against the environment. Pollen, dust contaminate in the air etc, sap, and sunlight etc So if you clayed and it and sealed it in may you should not really need to clay it again.. but you should do the bag test on the clearcoat after a good wash and dry(use an ultra thin cheap plastic bag stick it on your hand and go around and feel the clearcoat for abrasiveness. If it feels glass like smooth and silky then you are all good. check different panels etc)

The one thing you didnt say you did before was polish it. So maybe clean the car down and give it a good polish and then seal it up again.

best tips for maintaining wax or sealant life that I can think of are:

a) garage your car
b) make sure you use a good quality shampoo thats ph neutral and says on the label it doesnt remove wax or sealant. (sour power is a gr8 one)
c) use a finishing spray at the end of your normal wash routine
d) use a good wax or sealant. And apply 2 coats of it.

(fully research any activity if its something you have not done before)
David P likes this.
A6
AO Silver Member

County: Worcestershire
Poorboys wheel sealant doesn't last that long I find so you'll need to keep topping that up.

If you're happy that the car is without bonded contaminants then a quick wipe with panel wipe / ipa will give a good base for your wax to bond too.

Assuming you're not applying any glazes etc beforehand
David P likes this.
(Post Link) post #8 of 13 Old 31-08-15 Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A l f a View Post
hi there, the wax or sealant on is to protect against the environment. Pollen, dust contaminate in the air etc, sap, and sunlight etc So if you clayed and it and sealed it in may you should not really need to clay it again.. but you should do the bag test on the clearcoat after a good wash and dry(use an ultra thin cheap plastic bag stick it on your hand and go around and feel the clearcoat for abrasiveness. If it feels glass like smooth and silky then you are all good. check different panels etc)

The one thing you didnt say you did before was polish it. So maybe clean the car down and give it a good polish and then seal it up again.

best tips for maintaining wax or sealant life that I can think of are:

a) garage your car
b) make sure you use a good quality shampoo thats ph neutral and says on the label it doesnt remove wax or sealant. (sour power is a gr8 one)
c) use a finishing spray at the end of your normal wash routine
d) use a good wax or sealant. And apply 2 coats of it.

(fully research any activity if its something you have not done before)

I'll do that.

I didn't polish the car & I won't either, I might get it machine polished next year though.

a) The car isn't garaged unfortunately
b) I use a ph neutral shampoo & snow foam
c) You mean a detailing spray ? I used Meguiar's Last Touch previously but I've read that using a detailing spray affects the beading ability of waxes
d) I think I'll be applying 50cal Penta wax, then Collinite 845 the next time.
(Post Link) post #9 of 13 Old 31-08-15 Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A6 View Post
Poorboys wheel sealant doesn't last that long I find so you'll need to keep topping that up.

If you're happy that the car is without bonded contaminants then a quick wipe with panel wipe / ipa will give a good base for your wax to bond too.

Assuming you're not applying any glazes etc beforehand

I do see differing reports on their wheel sealant but I've got 3 months out of it so far & it's still working well, I expect it to last for at least a few more months.

I'll see how good it is after a wash, maybe it's almost as easy to give it a de-tar again & a quick clay again before a wax other than having to buy a drum of panel wipe or ipa.

I don't think I'll be applying a glaze this time.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GTV

sounds like you are doing the right thing. Like the chap said above. If you have waxed up or sealed the car and you want to do it again. I find personally its best to strip off the wax thats on there already. So IPA (you can by big 5 litres of it on amazon for say 10 pounds) mixed down with water about 60% water 40% IPA will strip the wax off your car. Spray the panels down with IPA and use a nice plush cloth to work the ipa around the panel. Make sure you rinse the car down completly at the end so now IPA is left kicking around before you wax.

Ive not had problems with the finish sprays effecting the beading of the wax or sealant. I find the finishing sprays sort of top up the protection and maintain the beading (we all use beading as the kind of way to measure that your sealant and wax is still there). I noticed for sure that if you use a finishing spray you get much more shelf life from your wax or sealant. The sealant you mention colenite 845 (I think thats collenites sythetic wax aka sealant) is really good. I plan to go back to it as my main sealant but peeps keep buying me AGP for xmas birthdays etc.. cant use it quicker than I get it! but its ok.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by A l f a View Post
sounds like you are doing the right thing. Like the chap said above. If you have waxed up or sealed the car and you want to do it again. I find personally its best to strip off the wax thats on there already. So IPA (you can by big 5 litres of it on amazon for say 10 pounds) mixed down with water about 60% water 40% IPA will strip the wax off your car. Spray the panels down with IPA and use a nice plush cloth to work the ipa around the panel. Make sure you rinse the car down completly at the end so now IPA is left kicking around before you wax.

Ive not had problems with the finish sprays effecting the beading of the wax or sealant. I find the finishing sprays sort of top up the protection and maintain the beading (we all use beading as the kind of way to measure that your sealant and wax is still there). I noticed for sure that if you use a finishing spray you get much more shelf life from your wax or sealant. The sealant you mention colenite 845 (I think thats collenites sythetic wax aka sealant) is really good. I plan to go back to it as my main sealant but peeps keep buying me AGP for xmas birthdays etc.. cant use it quicker than I get it! but its ok.
I personally would strip all the old wax from the car before applying new protection.
The reason's are obvious if you think about it, why put fresh wax over wax that's partially degraded? It will affect the new wax's ability to bond and seriously shorten its longevity.
Use a proper product for removing your current protection, Fairy Liquid doesn't remove wax, the salts it contains just mask the wax's effects for a brief period, a product like CarPro Eraser is what you need to use. I would them carry out a full decontamination, it's always worth doing and doen't take long. When that's done wipe down with IPA (10% should be enough if you're not polishing the car) then apply the Collinite first as it has greater longevity than the .50 Cal, leave the Collinite to gas out for 8-24hrs the apply the Penta Wax.
As for quick detail sprays affecting wax?! They are actually beneficial as they add protection, so in effect top-up your wax. I highly recommend Bouncers Done & Dusted.

A quick note about your wheel sealant. Strip it and use the Collinite, it'll last longer than the Poorboys, or invest in some Finish Kare FK100P High Temp Paste Wax (you can use it on the whole car too), it was designed for aircraft originally and can withstand temps above 250c. It makes a brilliant wheel sealant.
David P and Wobbley like this.

www.facebook.com/tjr5150 For all your valeting and detailing needs.
(Post Link) post #12 of 13 Old 11-09-15 Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks all for the advice

I did think what I read about the detailing spray was a bit odd alright, that's the thing about the internet (or any info) though I suppose, you need to decide what's fact & what's FACT
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Thanks all for the advice

I did think what I read about the detailing spray was a bit odd alright, that's the thing about the internet (or any info) though I suppose, you need to decide what's fact & what's FACT
There's a lot of urban myths surrounding all aspects of detailing cars. The Fairy Liquid one never seems to disappear no matter how many times it's debunked.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
applying , preperation , wax

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page