Dragons breath wheel cleaner - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 17-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Dragons breath wheel cleaner

Does it clean up as good as it looks...

I like the changing colourness of it, make it look like its working really well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Dunno. But I just got some Dodo Juice Ferrous Dueller in the post which is much the same thing. I'll report back after this weekend when I get a chance to use it.
Lucy_Bergs

Used it on mine the other day, brought them up a treat. Smells a bit funky though.

AO Member

County: -
I use Nanlex iron out which does a similar job and i am very pleased with the results. Going to try their reactivating shampoo once my Megs Gold is used.
AO Silver Member

County: KwaZulu-Natal

Member car:

Giulietta MA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener123 View Post
Does it clean up as good as it looks...

I like the changing colourness of it, make it look like its working really well.
I know of a professional detailer who mainly uses Dragon's breath.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by italover View Post
I know of a professional detailer who mainly uses Dragon's breath.
Dragons Breath and other fallout removers aren't strictly wheel cleaners and shouldn't be used regularly to clean wheels. Manufacturers use wheels as an example of the products effectiveness and people get suckered into buying them. The correct use of fallout remover is they're used after cleaning the wheels with wheel cleaner and tar & glue remover, the fallout remover then removes bonded iron particles from the wheels or bodywork. Using it too often can damage lacquer and also the plastic centre caps.
Usually I'd clean the wheels in the manner I said above and then seal them and use ph-neutral wheel cleaner as part of the regular maintenance wash routine, only using fallout remover every 6 months or so.
The other thing to bear in mind is cost. Fallout removers aren't dilutable so a 1l bottle isn't going to last as long as something like Bilberry wheel cleaner which can be diluted at around 10:1. Also with Dragons Breath being a gel it's not great on bodywork.
My suggestion of an effective FR is Bilt Hamber Korrosol.

The link below is a video I made on some very dirty Alfa wheels that (shock horror, I'm being a little hypocritical) hadn't been cleaned in any way for several months...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M9tC00EIqU

That's not how I would usually use it and if I'd have cleaned the wheels first I'd have used a 10th of what I used in the video as only actual bonded iron fallout would have remained.

www.facebook.com/tjr5150 For all your valeting and detailing needs.
(Post Link) post #7 of 12 Old 26-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Ahh, so it's not a cleaner as such...

Is there anything like it that is a proper cleaner ?
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener123 View Post
Ahh, so it's not a cleaner as such...

Is there anything like it that is a proper cleaner ?
It's a DEEP cleaner for removing bonded iron contamination from wheels and bodywork and should be used infrequently.
For regular cleaning I use Valetpro Bilberry wheel cleaner on unsealed wheels.

What I would suggest is that once your wheels are clean is that you use a wheel sealant such as Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour. That way you only need to pressure wash or use a wash mitt to maintain your wheels.
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 26-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

I use the AG alloy wheel seal but I don't think it does a lot

County: Greece

Member car:

75 turbo

I use oven cleaner spray containing Potassium Hydroxide on very soiled wheels.
I buy it from a professional household cleaning supply shop in plastic spray bottles.
Spray on, leave for 2 minutes using brush to loosen dirt, jetwash rinse off.
It does a fantastic job on grease, brake residue, tar.
I have used it on aluminium, painted aluminium and steel wheels and if you take care not to leave it on for more than 6 minutes no damage to the wheel is done.
It even degreases the engine compartment. Dont leave it on plastic or rubber surfaces too long, just in case, not that I have seen any damage in the last 2 years I've been using it.
I recommend trying it on the inside of the wheels first.
It turned my yellowing Webers into bright silver aluminium and took all the brown petrol gunk off.

Use with care, it is a nasty chemical, ALWAYS use rubber gloves and eye protection especially when jet cleaning after application.
Use in an open area and conform with your local EP laws on chemical disposal.
AO Member

County: Brisbane, Australia-
Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
I use oven cleaner spray containing Potassium Hydroxide on very soiled wheels.
I buy it from a professional household cleaning supply shop in plastic spray bottles.
Spray on, leave for 2 minutes using brush to loosen dirt, jetwash rinse off.
It does a fantastic job on grease, brake residue, tar.
I have used it on aluminium, painted aluminium and steel wheels and if you take care not to leave it on for more than 6 minutes no damage to the wheel is done.
It even degreases the engine compartment. Dont leave it on plastic or rubber surfaces too long, just in case, not that I have seen any damage in the last 2 years I've been using it.
I recommend trying it on the inside of the wheels first.
It turned my yellowing Webers into bright silver aluminium and took all the brown petrol gunk off.

Use with care, it is a nasty chemical, ALWAYS use rubber gloves and eye protection especially when jet cleaning after application.
Use in an open area and conform with your local EP laws on chemical disposal.
Probably not the best idea in the long term! Do not use oven cleaner on your wheels for any length of time - you are gradually breaking down the clear coat and paint - you might as well be cleaning your wheels with paint stripper. Harsh wheels cleaners are for lazy people trying to take short cuts. You have to think about your brake calipers too, mine were ruined through over zealous use of wheel cleaner and are now a faded pink colour instead of shiny red - and the rims have permanent stains all over them. Just get a good wheel cleaning brush and some ph neutral wheel cleaner and apply some elbow grease!

._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

Alfa 147 GTA

County: -
Smile Dragons Breath

It does give off a strong odd smell but that wont bother you one bit, the results it gives are exceptional. I have used the valet pro range for a while now, it is responsibly priced and gives off a premium finish. The hype is real!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
breath , cleaner , dragons , wheel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page