Purchase DA & DIY Detail or Professional Detail ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 04-08-15 Thread Starter

County: Cork
Garage
Question Purchase DA & DIY Detail or Professional Detail ?

Just wondering what peoples opinion is on the choice between buying a DA & doing a paint correction themselves or getting a professional paint correction done ?
I'm not planning on either any time soon, I can see pros & cons for both. I think I can guess the result but I thought it'd be interesting to see what opinions others have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
I'm planning on getting a full detail/correction done, and then doing the maintenance on it myself..

For one, I don't like the idea of the cost of a nice DA buffer, the pads, and the compounds etc... For another, I'm a rank novice and am scared that I could do more damage than good if I'm let loose with abrasives...

Once it's decontaminated, sealed, waxed etc., it'll be nice and easy to keep in top condition! I'm happy enough to wash/glaze/seal/wax etc., and will have a go at claying when I get some..

But abrasives scare me... Would rather let a pro do that part!

AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage
I'm with _The_Editor_ although I guess it depends on how bad your paint is to start with and what sort of finish you want at the end.

In my experience if the paint work is not too bad to start with then you can make a really good job of it by hand although it is pretty time consuming. Earlier in the year I spent the best part of two days on the 156 wagon doing it all by hand but i was very pleased with the results and I already had most of the products I used so financially it did not cost that much.

If however the paint was extremely scratched or faded then I would be more inclined to get a professional job done and then look after it as well as I could.

Finally, _The_Editor_, you must try some clay out. Just do the bonnet as horizontal panels tend to have the most debris, it still amazes me what stuff is pulled from the paint surface with clay. Obviously once clayed the paint will as a minimum need some protection such as wax as the clay is likely to remove everything that is on the paint surface including waxes and sealants.
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
It's a deadly disease you know David?
AO Member

County: New South Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryN View Post
I'm with _The_Editor_ although I guess it depends on how bad your paint is to start with and what sort of finish you want at the end.

In my experience if the paint work is not too bad to start with then you can make a really good job of it by hand although it is pretty time consuming. Earlier in the year I spent the best part of two days on the 156 wagon doing it all by hand but i was very pleased with the results and I already had most of the products I used so financially it did not cost that much.
Agree !! I faced the same dilemma and went with the DIY as my cars where new at the time. I was initially daunted by the thought of using a DA and abrasives - but use decent quality gear and it is quite safe
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryN View Post
Finally, _The_Editor_, you must try some clay out. Just do the bonnet as horizontal panels tend to have the most debris, it still amazes me what stuff is pulled from the paint surface with clay. Obviously once clayed the paint will as a minimum need some protection such as wax as the clay is likely to remove everything that is on the paint surface including waxes and sealants.
Damnit man I just bought a bottle of Autobrite Cherry Glaze... Let me at least have a go with that before tempting me to buy more bits!!!
A6
AO Silver Member

County: Worcestershire
I bought the Meguiars DA and its superb. You'd have to be deliberately tying to ruin your car to damage it with a DA they are very user friendly, and loads of tips online.

I've more than got my money's worth out of it over the years.

If fact my brand new car just arrived with a minor scuff on rear bumper annoyingly. 10mins with DA all gone and avoids Neanderthal dealers getting near it with smart repairs.
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 07-08-15 Thread Starter

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post
It's a deadly disease you know David?
I get that impression alright
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
To do any damage with most DA's (Das6 or similar, which is what most people will be using) you'd have to physically beat the car with it or do about 20 passes with the most aggressive compounds and pads available. They're extremely safe to use on sound paintwork.
Roughly £150 should get you started with everything you need like pads, backing plate and compounds. I would buy a couple of extra cutting and polishing pads though.
The nice thing with Alfa paint is that its actually quite soft and corrects fairly easily without the need for aggressive compounds unless there's some serious damage to the clear coat.

www.facebook.com/tjr5150 For all your valeting and detailing needs.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GTV

In terms of getting into polishing. A good start is getting into cleaning a car properly first. Get all the products and gear u need to clean your car and keep it clean (the list is vast) And start the process by learning how to clean a car well first. Then clay. Then maybe move to polishing... If you already have the cleaning side sort then yer go for it. why not. It will pay for itself pretty quickly when you start correcting damage etc... One other thing. U need lots of free time if you gonna be into polishing.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
detail , diy , professional , purchase

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page