Best protection against birds muck? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By A l f a
  • 1 Post By Lyngaas

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 22-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Best protection against birds muck?

I'm growing increasingly frustrated and annoyed at the damage that is occurring to my paintwork. My car is Rosso Red. I clean it regularly, and use Autoglym SRP followed by EGP.
However on several occasions lately a bird has left it's calling card on my paint and by the time I get to it the damage is done and I'm left with a mark in the lacquer that resembles the surface of the moon. Then it's out with the heavy compound, then T cut, then polish etc. Is there a better protection for my paint against birds muck??....a wax as opposed to a sealent for example?

Unimpressed by cars with less than 4 cylinders or below 1600cc.....and don't get me started on hybrids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Kent-

Member car:

MiTo QV

Hi would you consider putting a layer or two of wax after the srp and before the gloss protector?
Essential the srp is only a polish and the EGP is an enhancer.
Bird lime is highly corrosive and i've always on hand a bottle of detailer and a clean cloth.
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 23-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve30300 View Post
Hi would you consider putting a layer or two of wax after the srp and before the gloss protector?
Essential the srp is only a polish and the EGP is an enhancer.
Bird lime is highly corrosive and i've always on hand a bottle of detailer and a clean cloth.
That's useful information regarding the EGP. I was under the impression it gave at least a little protection, but if it doesn't then I'll switch to using a wax after I've polished the car and see how the results go. I'm a big advocate of keeping a clean car but I'm not very quizzed up the different attributes of the array of polishes, waxes, sealents etc on the market, which is why I've always stuck to the same routine.....wash, rinse, dry weekly....polish/seal the paint every couple of months.
Which reasonably priced wax would you recommend for use on a flat paint finish?

Thanks for the reply
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Meguire's Quikdetailer and some soft disposable cloths in the boot...
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage

Member car:

GT Clover

I use Autoglym paint sealant on mine, bird muck (and all other types of muck) just wipes off without a fuss
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
A gun
(Post Link) post #7 of 16 Old 23-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex87 View Post
I use Autoglym paint sealant on mine, bird muck (and all other types of muck) just wipes off without a fuss
I think the issue I have is that a bird messes on the car in the morning, the mess sits on the car in the sun all day and thus 'bakes' on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
A gun
My method of choice too....if only it were legal.

They really are hammering the GTA at the moment. I'm going to have another go at the damaged area after work this evening. More compound followed by t cut and polish. Currently it looks like the rear quarter has been badly painted with a 'fish eye' effect left behind.
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage

Member car:

GT Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mymatemarmite View Post
I think the issue I have is that a bird messes on the car in the morning, the mess sits on the car in the sun all day and thus 'bakes' on.
Yes, but in my case its only baking onto the Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, and is thus still a piece of cake to remove. No paint defects, never touches the lacquer. Happy day
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Autoglym High Definition wax is quite expensive at about 40:00 GBP a tub but there's not much that sticks to it. I use it quite regularly and it has great results. I've used about 3/4 of the tub in about two years but that is on 4 separate cars.
(Post Link) post #10 of 16 Old 23-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex87 View Post
Yes, but in my case its only baking onto the Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, and is thus still a piece of cake to remove. No paint defects, never touches the lacquer. Happy day
This is the part that I'm getting a little confused about....if on my car the mess was only baking into the layers of EGP then surely I wouldn't have to use G3 compound to cut back the affected area....surely EGP wouldn't put up such a fight as I try to cut it back??....which is what is making me think that the mess is somehow getting through the EGP and settling on the lacquer??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohn View Post
Autoglym High Definition wax is quite expensive at about 40:00 GBP a tub but there's not much that sticks to it. I use it quite regularly and it has great results. I've used about 3/4 of the tub in about two years but that is on 4 separate cars.
I'll have a look at that, cheers.
A6
AO Silver Member

County: Worcestershire
The most resilient protection would be a decent ceramic sealant, I personally rate Wolfs Bodyguard.

However even that won't last that long to the nasty chemicals in the bird ****.

I carry the auto glym bird dropping wipes in the glovebox for emergencies. And got a bottle of Poorboys Bird Sh#t Remover which is pretty useful too.

Coincidently I've just come in from clearing what must have been a flock of albatrosses mess in the wife's car !!
(Post Link) post #12 of 16 Old 23-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6 View Post
The most resilient protection would be a decent ceramic sealant, I personally rate Wolfs Bodyguard.

However even that won't last that long to the nasty chemicals in the bird ****.

I carry the auto glym bird dropping wipes in the glovebox for emergencies. And got a bottle of Poorboys Bird Sh#t Remover which is pretty useful too.

Coincidently I've just come in from clearing what must have been a flock of albatrosses mess in the wife's car !!
I might get some of these wipes too.
I gave the affected area another treatment of G3, t cut and polish earlier. If you look really closely, and know what you're looking for you can still see some damage, but I don't want to take too much of the clear coat away. Bloody filthy birds
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

I have some Autoglym bird poo wipes... get it off as quickly as possible and it will be fine
AO Member

County: Buskerud

Member car:

95 2.0TS GTV

I tend to not use Autoglym as there products are catered more towards the general public not us detailers/car care nuts therefore i cant really say if the autoglym products are any good, what i do know is that i used AG SRP once, and i was extremely disappointed as it hardly gives any protection and if ur using it as a pure filler it hardly lasted long enough that it would be worth the effort.

I stick to Swissvax or PolishAngel when it comes to paint protection, i rarely experience a bird poo/insect that was removed within a reasonable amount of time that managed to etch the paint(I usually remove within 24 hours to be safe), as long as the paint has sufficient protection. I have had previously treated cars that come in with bird poo that has been on the paint for several days and the owner has attempted to wash the car to remove it and its still there, and most times the bird poo/insect has etched into the protection and not the paint itself.

This got kinda long but long story short, if your plagued with bird poo and such etching into the clear coat, invest in a proper sealant/wax(SV Shield, PA Master Sealant etc) and make sure to remove the contaminant as quickly as possible, if its baking in the sun i would rather remove it with an APC and a Microfiber(dab the area, not rub) than wait hours or days before i can wash the car properly, as its way easier to remove "love marks" than having to wetsand, compound and polish.

Last edited by Lyngaas; 25-07-15 at 19:22.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GTV

Quote:
I tend to not use Autoglym as there products are catered more towards the general public not us detailers/car care nuts therefore i cant really say if the autoglym products are any good, what i do know is that i used AG SRP once, and i was extremely disappointed as it hardly gives any protection....... I stick to Swissvax or PolishAngel when it comes to paint protection

polishes dont protect your car. True polishes are for shaving clearcoat nothing else.

Having a sealant on your car will help a bit with the age old problem of crap. But If a bird does a nasty one on your car and you dont clean it off it will in my experience still damage the clearcoat (sometimes within hours). I would not recomend using the autoglym bird dropping removeral towels. Basically dont rub the bird poo off. Soak it in detailer (a cheap one). Come back 5 minutes later and soak it again and run a low pressure hose over it. and just slowly wash it away without touching it. If its a real concrete gutbuster one that doesnt seem to shift then its prolly dried out and been on their for more than 12 hours. It will just need more soaking.

With regards to SRP. bin it, it doesnt do anything. EGP is cool but you only should go to the effort of sealing a car once you have a clearcoat thats been shaved back close to a showroom finish. Or you are just putting a seal ontop of damage etc...

The only solution to the bird poo dilema is to learn how to machine polish, because I keep a clean car but it can still get shat on in a car park and sit their baking for 4 hours. But buffing out a small area of marring is painless. But before you learn that you have to research rinsing etc, wash methods, claying etc... generally

Its all great fun though and theres some great guides online. But there is a degree of foundation knowledge and principles that you need to understand first. And you need shed loads of time on your hands too polishing is a SLOOOOOW process.
Lyngaas likes this.
AO Member

County: Buskerud

Member car:

95 2.0TS GTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by A l f a View Post
polishes dont protect your car. True polishes are for shaving clearcoat nothing else.
Yeah, im aware of that but im pretty sure the general consumer is in the dark about that.
The thing that bothers me is the fact that here in Norway Autoglym markets it as a protectant, saying it will last 5 months until having to re-apply it
As your saying, its good for absolutely nothing. If u need a filler/glaze go for meguiars(still cheating though).
A l f a likes this.

Last edited by Lyngaas; 29-07-15 at 16:39.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
birds , muck , protection

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page