Three questions 1. Chipex 2. Local detailer 3. Stone chips - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jamezm

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 08-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 S

Three questions 1. Chipex 2. Local detailer 3. Stone chips

Hi there!

Long time lurker in this Detailing forum and long time poster in the Brera forum.

I have a fair number of stone chips on the bonnet and front bumper/wings of my red Brera.

Has anybody had any success with using Chipex? Is it straightforward? Is there still an AO discount code?

Any detailers on here that are local to me? (Whiteley, near Fareham, in Hampshire)

I'm looking to get machine polishing, paint correction and sealant before autumn. Is it a good idea to try to paint in and polish the stone chips first, rather than after the correction stage? I hear that stone chips become much more noticeable after machine polishing and paint correction - is that right?

TIA!

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
I've got a Chipex kit waiting for me at home, so will make sure to update you once I've used it!

County: Cork
Garage
1. Users seem to be happy with Chipex results https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motor...ts-thread.html
They stopped offering a AO discount but they reduced the price & added a bigger range of kits IIRC.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Chipex is brilliant if you've just got two or three chips in relatively new paint but if you've got extensive road rash then it needs a spray shop. Once the paint is back to A1 condition then Chipex is ideal to keep it that way. I got a Chipex kit for my Cup and the colour match is better than official AR touch up. I thought it would be the answer to my woes, but in the end, a full bonnet respray was the only thing to do. Now I attend to any chip after every journey and it's great for that.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Chippex kits are brilliant, I frequently use them on customers cars a few weeks in advance of full details/corrections. the repairs are usually unnoticeable providing the original paint hasn't faded badly.

I'd recommend you use the Chippex a few weeks prior to having any machine polishing done to allow it to cure properly. This isn't because machining will remove or damage the repair its more about what effect the wax can sometimes have on fresh paint. If it hasn't fully gassed out when a wax is applied it can turn cloudy. A good detailer will ask if there's been any paint repairs and should make you aware of any risks involved.

www.facebook.com/tjr5150 For all your valeting and detailing needs.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Have used the chipex kit as well, found it very good and the colour match was excellent,and it was pretty easy to get the hang of.

But as said above if you have a lot of chips I would try and get a bodyshop to repair then keep on top of new chips as they inevitably appear.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 09-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 S

Thanks all.
Tommywho156 likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
chipex , chips , detailer , local , questions , stone

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page