Wheel cleaning brushes - recommendations? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By _The_Editor_
  • 1 Post By _The_Editor_
  • 1 Post By keithyboy
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 15-06-15 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
alfadodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 194
Garage
Wheel cleaning brushes - recommendations?

I've been on the look out for a brush, or two, to use on my 159's alloys but all I can find so far (haven't looked that hard yet, tbh!) are brushes that have a plastic-coated wire core (like a large pipe-cleaner) that I'm sure could easily damage your wheels once the bristles get worn or earlier if you're not careful.

Must admit I've only looked in Halfords and on Amazon while in & on there, but before I start looking at the specialist sites, anyone found anything safe and easy to use? I have the 19" spoked wheels so the brush would need to be quite narrow to get between the spokes.

Or should I just use a mitt?

Thanks in advance
alfadodge is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
kevmarks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: South Yorkshire
Posts: 124
Plastic toilet brush from the pound shop Wear down after a while but they are cheap enough to replace :-)
kevmarks is offline  
Status: Daddy bear
Global Mod Team
 
bazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Congleton - The centre of
Posts: 44,260

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Sonic Scrubber if you're feeling lazy.
bazza is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
petep312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tidworth
County: Wiltshire
Posts: 337
Washing up brush works a treat to with a little degreaser.
petep312 is offline  
Status: New 2.4Ti has arrived
AO Member
 
Evoxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Worcestershire
Posts: 112
Garage
Depends how much you car about your wheels.

I can higly recomend one of these: Valet Pro - Inch Round Wheel Brush - Clean Your Car with some of this: ValetPro - Bilberry Wheel Cleaner - Clean Your Car dilution ratio means it lasts ages!

No "scrubbing" required and non acidic unlike some cleaners. Brush is soft so wont mark alloys.
Evoxer is offline  
Status: TJR Valeting
AO Silver Member
 
Tommywho156's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoxer View Post
Depends how much you car about your wheels.

I can higly recomend one of these: Valet Pro - Inch Round Wheel Brush - Clean Your Car with some of this: ValetPro - Bilberry Wheel Cleaner - Clean Your Car dilution ratio means it lasts ages!

No "scrubbing" required and non acidic unlike some cleaners. Brush is soft so wont mark alloys.
Bilberry wheel cleaner is great but either Bilt Hamber Auto-Wheel or Bilt Hamber Korrosol are better by miles. I made this video on a customes extremely filthy wheels (not been cleaned in about 6 months so Korrosol was the better option). No pre washing and the inside of the rims were spotless too. No brushes, no agitation and spotless wheels in under two minutes...
It's also water based and PH neutral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M9tC00EIqU

Here is the Auto-Wheel in action on my Blackline wheels, I use this on moderately mucky wheels..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_4OwFy9M7g

www.facebook.com/tjr5150 For all your valeting and detailing needs.

Last edited by Tommywho156; 17-06-15 at 17:15.
Tommywho156 is offline  
Status: Flaps? What flaps?
AO Silver Member
 
_The_Editor_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 2,937
Jeez.... That stuff is incredible!!

Right, Bilt Hamber here I come
_The_Editor_ is offline  
Status: TJR Valeting
AO Silver Member
 
Tommywho156's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 2,263
The Korrosol can be used all over the car to remove bonded iron contamination, even on glass and plastics. If you use it before claying it means you use less clay.
Tommywho156 is offline  
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 30,876
I had a brush as you describe ,with the metal wire in the spine , and it rusted snapping into a pointy handle which damaged a spoke of the wheel I was cleaning. Better off with a plastic brush!
cue2 is offline  
Status: Flaps? What flaps?
AO Silver Member
 
_The_Editor_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommywho156 View Post
The Korrosol can be used all over the car to remove bonded iron contamination, even on glass and plastics. If you use it before claying it means you use less clay.
Tommy, can I just steal all your stuff?

The list of goodies I want is growing faster than it's shrinking, and YOU'RE THE BLOODY PROBLEM

1. Bilt Hamber Clay
2. Korrosol
3. Cherry Glaze
4. Organic contaminant remover (I'm sure you'll have a suggestion for me )
5. Detailing lance and BH Autofoam

But I do now have a nice red fluffy towel by your recommendation
DaveAlfa147 and Tommywho156 like this.
_The_Editor_ is offline  
Status: TJR Valeting
AO Silver Member
 
Tommywho156's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 2,263
Organic contaminant remover - you want a good tar & glue remover. I personally like AutoBrite Direct Just The Tonic or Autoglym Tar & Glue.
Tommywho156 is offline  
Status: Flaps? What flaps?
AO Silver Member
 
_The_Editor_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommywho156 View Post
Organic contaminant remover - you want a good tar & glue remover. I personally like AutoBrite Direct Just The Tonic or Autoglym Tar & Glue.
Good lad
Tommywho156 likes this.
_The_Editor_ is offline  
Status: TJR Valeting
AO Silver Member
 
Tommywho156's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Good lad
You're welcome.
Just so you know, nearly all tar & glue removers also remove organic contamination.
Tommywho156 is offline  
Status: Flaps? What flaps?
AO Silver Member
 
_The_Editor_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 2,937
Good to know

From the look of the datasheets, the glue/tar/organic removers are also going to strip wax pretty effectively too? Are these generally a once/twice a year job when you do a deep clean?
_The_Editor_ is offline  
Status: TJR Valeting
AO Silver Member
 
Tommywho156's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Good to know

From the look of the datasheets, the glue/tar/organic removers are also going to strip wax pretty effectively too? Are these generally a once/twice a year job when you do a deep clean?
Yes, they will strip most waxes. I use it on the bodywork when I'm doing a full decontamination (tar & glue, fallout remover then clay), so probably twice a year at most.
I use it on wheels more frequently though as they require decontaminating more frequently.
Tommywho156 is offline  
A6
Status: What's that noise now!
AO Silver Member
 
A6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Worcestershire
Posts: 1,914
Wheel cleaning brushes - recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfadodge View Post
I've been on the look out for a brush, or two, to use on my 159's alloys but all I can find so far (haven't looked that hard yet, tbh!) are brushes that have a plastic-coated wire core (like a large pipe-cleaner) that I'm sure could easily damage your wheels once the bristles get worn or earlier if you're not careful.



Must admit I've only looked in Halfords and on Amazon while in & on there, but before I start looking at the specialist sites, anyone found anything safe and easy to use? I have the 19" spoked wheels so the brush would need to be quite narrow to get between the spokes.



Or should I just use a mitt?



Thanks in advance

Check out wheel woollies they are highly regarded on Detailing World

http://www.wheelwoolies.com/wheel-woolies-kit
A6 is offline  
(Post Link) post #17 of 21 Old 24-06-15 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
alfadodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 194
Garage
Thanks A6, they look just the job
alfadodge is offline  
Status: Back to chilling out
AO Member
 
TI-ger boz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 294

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6 View Post
Check out wheel woollies they are highly regarded on Detailing World

Wheel Woolies Kit


I've been using these for a couple of years. Best wheel cleaning brushes I've found. Even got the angled one for cleaning behind the spokes for Christmas.
TI-ger boz is offline  
Status: Make Covfefe great again!!
AO Platinum Member
 
Greener123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southampton
County: Hampshire
Posts: 41,384
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

I use the brushes that came with the AG wheel cleaning kit, they are a little small for the 19" wheels but they have been good so far,

I bought a big soft noodle cleaner from halfrauds last time I was in to make it a bit quicker and that also seems good
Greener123 is offline  
Status: strongstablestrongst able
AO Platinum Member
 
keithyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cambodia
County: Phnom Penh
Posts: 13,924

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommywho156 View Post
Bilberry wheel cleaner is great but either Bilt Hamber Auto-Wheel or Bilt Hamber Korrosol are better by miles. I made this video on a customes extremely filthy wheels (not been cleaned in about 6 months so Korrosol was the better option). No pre washing and the inside of the rims were spotless too. No brushes, no agitation and spotless wheels in under two minutes...
It's also water based and PH neutral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M9tC00EIqU

Here is the Auto-Wheel in action on my Blackline wheels, I use this on moderately mucky wheels..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_4OwFy9M7g
Bloody hell that's impressive stuff. Wheel cleaning is my least favourite bit of the process so I think I'll be having some of that.

Thanks for sharing.
Tommywho156 likes this.
keithyboy is online now  
Status: TJR Valeting
AO Silver Member
 
Tommywho156's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
Bloody hell that's impressive stuff. Wheel cleaning is my least favourite bit of the process so I think I'll be having some of that.

Thanks for sharing.
Just be aware that it isn't technically a wheel cleaner. It's an iron fallout contamination remover. It only use it (normally) on seriously grimy wheels and usually after I've cleaned them with a non-acid wheel cleaner first. I made that video to show what Korrosol could do. I wouldn't use it to clean my wheels every week, it could have a negative effect on the centre caps.
For weekly cleaning I use AutoBrite Very Cherry non-acid wheel cleaner. I also seal my wheels with Gtechniq C5.
Tommywho156 is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
brushes , cleaning , recommendations , wheel

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome