GTA Engine clean - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By warniegt
  • 1 Post By maxiboy wales

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 29-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
GTA Engine clean

My engine bay is in massive need of some attention.
some parts are rusting others oxidizing and some just dirty.
as you will be aware its all tight and compact in there so what exactly can easily be removed to aide in the clean without ultimately f*****g up my baby?

please help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Plenum, Coil Cover, chrome pipes and fuel rail should reveal most of it. Doing mine next weekend just need to order the gaskets.
petep312 likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

yeah depends if you cleaning or repainting the items..

if the intake pipes are so rusty they will need rechroming..

the manifold coil pack cover and rocker covers are usually repainted.

fuel rails depends of what they need doing.

easy enough to do if you handy with spanners..
petep312 likes this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 22 Old 31-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warniegt View Post
Plenum, Coil Cover, chrome pipes and fuel rail should reveal most of it. Doing mine next weekend just need to order the gaskets.
Rocker gaskets?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
If you take off the chrome pipes there are gaskets underneath them which need replacing. The fuel injector mounting plates that the chrome pipes bolt down to can also be removed for cleaning, and have gaskets underneath them.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GTV

you cant do this job by half. If your gonna do it go for the full engine bay refurb.

Disconnect the battery before you start.

remove the front coil pack cover. then undo the clips on the throttle body elbow and take off the intake air pipe and arm and maf and the pipe down to the airbox. Take the throttle body off. Then take off the clips for the downpipe rubber seals. Then take the fuel lines off the first fuel rail and have lots of rag ready to soak up and fuel that flies off. Take off the fuel rail and carefull pop out the red plastic fuel injectors. Make sure each time you pop out the injector you dont damage the little black rubber seals. replace any that look damaged. Take the injections out from the top of the engine block as well. Plug the holes into the top of the engine with something other than tissue paper (big lumps of blue tack I use, anything that cant fall in) Then unbolt the chrome pipe and pull them off. make sure you block the holes where the pipes were. And block them well. I actually used sheets of foil to do this because you can press it down and mold it round. Then take the other fuel rail out and the plenum cover. I took all the little black wiring cases out around the plenum as well.

Main thing make sure all holes are blocked. And be carefull when taking the red fuel plug things off the fuel rails. Use something like a screw driver to slowly prize them off it you use to much force and they go firing off you can damage the wiring.

Then basically clean up everything. I dont take the cam covers off because you dont see much of those and I dont want to disturb the coil packs. I just give all that a really good clean with degreaser. the coil cover and plenum cover I sand back with a sort of rust removal drill bit and I degrease and then use panel wipe. I then primer these parts with VHT primer and spray the fins VHT aluminum. I then cover the fins and decals and spray it whatever color (gloss red or wrinkle black are my favorites). People say use grease to cover the fins but I find that a bit messy and doesnt give nice lines. I actually would say use masking tape fold in a upside down V. And spray down on the fins so the paint doesnt soak up the tape and give bad lines. I think that gives a better line. (cut the tape in half legthways first)

On the chrome pipes go at them with a craft drill to take off the pitting and the rust then a polsihing bit with metal polish.

I then degrease clean all the rad pipes and intake elbows and dress them with anything really. (AG vinyl care/ back to black/wd etc whatever). Fuel rails I paint in VHT aluminum (dont spray the bits where the pipes connect on because you can cause fitment issues, fuel leaks etc). I usually take off the resoivoir coolant filler tank and either replace or try and black out all the crap inside with a karcher. Ill take the battery out and clean all around the battery housing. Everything. Any speckled alumium bits I fine sand off. anything dirty I clean (like the brake fluid resoivoir etc) Every pipe. I'll also try and sand off and cure any small bits of rust I see on brakets etc... If really bad I remove them and sand, cure, primer and paint.

Then I throw everything back in making sure to replace the throttle body gasket and the downpipe gaskets (eb spares). Might be worth doing the thermostat while the airbox pips are off. Once finished run the engine up and take it for a blast to cure the paint in the engine bay.

Also I find worth while to remove the heat shield vacuum this down and really clean it with a damp cloth + APC.

If you have left over alumium spray do the brake disc hubs as well.

Its not difficult to do the above. Be really orangised with where you place each part after removing it and put the bolts for that part with that part. Im not very mechanical (I can do simple things) and I follow a guide by someone on here on how to do this and I really enjoyed it and when finished the engine bay was transformed. you also need a special tool for removing the clips on the intake and downpipe. it costs about a tener on ebay. Allow 2 days to do the above. And also be carefull with cleaning the engine bay (cover alternator etc) dont use loads of water. spray on degreaser. lots of rags, wire wool. good luck!
(Post Link) post #7 of 22 Old 31-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Many thanks thats exactly what I needed. Not to sure on all the paints and things though, just really worried about messing it all up.
I've removed tank engines before but when it's my own I'm bricking it lol.
(Post Link) post #8 of 22 Old 01-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Found this link that might interest some people
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=144338
AO Member

Member car:

GTV

VHT aerosol theres 2 UK suppliers and both are on ebay. If it all goes wrong you can just take them to your local bead blasting place and take all the paint off and go again.

I think autolusso also will paint them for you if you send them in for like 150 quid. Thats not a bad price because it can take like a lot of time to prep and then the various stages and paint layers.

Buts its not that "hard" to do as a DIY. Just follow the instructions on the can and make sure the prep is good has to be grease free and rubbed down all over. Dont put to much spray on either thats prolly the easiest trap to fall into. Good distance away and move the can over the areas you paint at a good constant speed.
AO Member

Member car:

GTV

that link is cool. I never thought about wet sanding to get the logo finish, but of course thats gonna be the best way. Must be the best way for the fins on the cover too. Its got to be cured though so that means prolly sticking it in the over (I wasnt too keen about doing that). Suppose you could still run the car to cure it. and then take it off.

maybe best is to do what he has done. And just wet sand the plenum cover lettering as well. leave the strips maybe.
(Post Link) post #11 of 22 Old 04-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

So this weekend is the weekend I'm gonna attempt painting and dressing up my engine. I'll be sure to post pics if anyone is interested.
AO Member

Yes, please do!
A6
AO Silver Member

County: Worcestershire
I used the red vht wrinkle paint and it looks great. Only thing I'd did different was a. Used a heat gun to avoid stinking the brand new oven out. And b. I used vht lacquer over the top to protect the textured wrinkle finish to make sure it doesn't get dirty.

Anyway here's mine as reference

(Post Link) post #14 of 22 Old 05-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

This looks great. I'm going to go for something a little different but we'll see how it turns out.
what's the worst that can happen.
AO Silver Member

County: Inverclyde

Member car:

'04 156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep312 View Post
Found this link that might interest some people
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=144338
Thanks. For what its worth it needs doing again. To be fair though the car was doing 9k a year until 2012 and now does <3k so when I redo it, hopefully it lasts longer. Post pics of what you do. Cheers
Alan
(Post Link) post #16 of 22 Old 18-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

It didn't go perfectly as you can see but it wasn't a bad attempt as my first spray can experience. Some of the tape peeled up whilst I was spraying. It looks better then it did tho. I would like to polish up the Alfa Romeo writing to in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0322_1434655928331.jpg (60.0 KB, 65 views)
AO Member

Member car:

GTV

I dont think its quite worked. Sorry to be negative this is what I think.

I really reckon its all or nothing when it comes to the engine bay.. Just go with wrinkle red or wrinkle black on the coil and plenum covers and wet sand off the lettering. Dont go with combos of color or anything too different. When you see pixs of the peeps that have done it well then have never tried to do anything too clever.

you didnt do the fuel rails or the downpipes or the plenum cover. also the timing belt housing needs refurbing. Just sand it down, rust cure and primer and paint gloss black.

I think you need to dust down and go again. Bead blast the covers down maybe this time. as you have paint on one. Put that paint on nice and thick to get the wrinkle to really come up. (but build it up thick, not one thick coat because you will get runs)

great first effort though, if your like me doing this sort of stuff is kind of fun.
AO Member

County: Northumberland

Member car:

156 V6 SW

I think there's a difference between clean and tidy and show quality.

That just looks clean and tidy, but not show quality. I know when i did mine i didn't want to start painting things, just got rid of all the surface dirt/oxidation and reassembled. I cleaned all the pipes with Autosol. There were still a few rust patches, but looked 99% better for the work. Also an idea as pud says to change the gaskets.

I rubbed the fuel rails down with wire wood and applied a think layer of oil to protect. Yup - they're not red and shiny but look neat.

The guy that bought the GTA was impressed with my handwork anyway!

Current Alfa: 2003 156 2.5 V6 SW
Previous Alfas: SudSprint 1.7, 156 2.0ts , GT 1.9 JTD, 156 GTA, 156 2.0JTS Sele

Last edited by valinco; 23-06-15 at 10:59.
(Post Link) post #19 of 22 Old 23-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

I can take constructive criticism. So thank you. I enjoyed doing it. It was my first attempt and I will try again. I also think I tried something a little to complicated. Keep it simple stupid sprung to mind when I did it. It's done now though.
AO Silver Member

I used Simonize "Aluminum" Engine Enamel for all alloy parts including the plenum and coil pack covers; I baked 'em in the oven while the missus was out!! As an undercoat I used U-POL #8 Etch primer, oh and replaced all bolts with stainless. Touched up GTA / Alfa with red smooth hammerite. The throttle body was polished and the fuel rails were sprayed with gold hammerite.

I photographed everything before I pulled it apart and used labelled paper drink cups to hold the bolts.

Last edited by TOX1C; 28-03-16 at 22:06.
(Post Link) post #21 of 22 Old 24-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

^ absolutely epic. That is all.
AO Member

Member car:

GTV

the level of finish toxic got and A6 got it are superb. If you can close to that then thats good enough.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
clean , engine , gta

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page