Hand Car washes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 13Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 76 Old 24-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hand Car washes

Does any one use / trust a hand car wash company?

I actually enjoy washing my cars but every so often I get tempted if I want a shiny car but dont have time to wash.

However - a few years ago my wife took her very shiny black Freelander Sport to a local one probably 4 times over a month or so - when I came to wash it, it was covered in fine scratches - that has put me off and would never trust one again.

My closest hand car wash actually has quite a few very expensive cars including Ferrari's, AMG's etc pulling in to use it and it terrifies me

Alfa in the Blood...

Last edited by spookone; 24-05-15 at 12:58.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: KwaZulu-Natal

Member car:

Giulietta MA.

The greatest mistake anyone can make is using a car wash. That's what causes swirls. They use one sponge for all cars transferring dirt from one car to another resulting in paint damage.

Use 2 separate wash mitts and not sponges. Mitts are not smooth so they don't drag dirt around as you wash. Use one mitt for the roof, bonnet and boot. Use another mitt for the dirtiest parts of the car I. E. The sides. Use a separate mitt for the wheels.
Use the two bucket method for washing.
using the above method will avoid swirls , scatches and damage to paint.

1985 Giulietta 2.0: Ex. - sapphire blue:
1985 Giulietta 2.0 Ex. - silver
2000 145 - silver

Alfa Romeo - engineered for excitement!
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire
exactly the same in our area - the are several hand washes and one of them is considered 'good', plenty of very expensive cars using it. But they are all the same generally and their sponges are not really clean... Plus they use stuff close to acid to clean the alloys.
Durty dog likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
I use 3 buckets (3rd one is for the wheels only). Most hand car washes also use badly mixed TFR which causes serious etching of your clearcoat and glass, it also ruins your exterior plastics. Not bad for a fiver!

For an extra tenner I treat my customers cars to a completely PH Neutral three stage wash and dry with no damage whatsoever.
Durty dog likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire
Don't let them near the interior either - they just cover everything in that disgusting silicone spray and it takes ages to get it off
Durty dog likes this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 76 Old 25-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

I do use the 2 bucket method - goes through me when I see an expensive car pull into a hand car wash!
AO Silver Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
no one touches my car
AO Member

County: -
I wouldn't use one! IV seem how they operate, use the same dirty mitts and water for each car!

They have no passion or care for it and are just doing it to get buy! Not all are like this as I have friends that do this for a living but they are detainers and not "cleaners".

Either pay quite a bit to get it done or do it yourself
AO Member

I got paid to go on a marketing research group not knowing what it was, turned out it was turtlewax launching a spray and a cloth saying you can clean your car without water, I got thrown out after explaining the 2 bucket method and dry cleaning a car with 1 cloth is crazy and stupid! Still got the £30!
AO Member

I have always thought brands like turtlewax and regular autoglym products are for people that jut want to wash there car and not for detailers.....

I do have to admit I had to wash my car this weekend with some turtle wax wash and wax because I didn't have anything else time to put an order in I think
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_john_ m View Post
I have always thought brands like turtlewax and regular autoglym products are for people that jut want to wash there car and not for detailers.....

I do have to admit I had to wash my car this weekend with some turtle wax wash and wax because I didn't have anything else time to put an order in I think
I wouldn't use Turtle Wax but Autoglym do some excellent products and I know a lot of other detailers that use their products.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommywho156 View Post
I wouldn't use Turtle Wax but Autoglym do some excellent products and I know a lot of other detailers that use their products.
Some autoglym stuff is alright, fast glass is good but I'd rather use other stuff. I don't think its as good as it's made out!

Has anyone used the HD wax? Everyone seems to love it because you can apply it when the car is wet? Don't see why you would do this though
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Tried turtle wax, it was naff tbh... Easy to apply, but that's about the end of the good points...

Had my first go with Autoglym HD Wax today and much much prefer the finish... It's a little harder to apply than a liquid/paste wax, but I found it actually easier to get the coating nice and thin and even (tended to get thick splotches with the liquid waxes, required lots of buffing to remove!).. The finish is much nicer too!
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookone View Post
.......I actually enjoy washing my cars but every so often I get tempted if I want a shiny car but dont have time to wash......
Genrally it is safer to DIY or just use a pressure washer at the local garage. I use a rinseless wash and can do a quick wash, wax and dry the car in under 20 minutes
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
I recently got the Autoglym Lifeshine 'redone' (if it was ever done in the first place) on my 159 and when i collected it, part of the 'detailing' they had done was to coat the tyres in some blackish shiny sh*t that, when i came to wash the car a couple of weeks later, just stuck to whatever i washed the tyre with (brush & sponge) and made them go black too.

Sounds petty i know but God it made me angry

I've used products like Son Of A Gun in the past which is fine at making the tyres look nice and new and doesn't transfer to whatever you later use to wash the tyres with, but never come across anything as nasty as that black shiny stuff that has probably has 'cheap valeters' sh*t' on the bottle

Rant over
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_john_ m View Post
Some autoglym stuff is alright, fast glass is good but I'd rather use other stuff. I don't think its as good as it's made out!

Has anyone used the HD wax? Everyone seems to love it because you can apply it when the car is wet? Don't see why you would do this though
You're confusing HD Wax with a different Autoglym product - Aqua Wax. HD Wax is actually a very good wax indeed, very easy to apply and remove and the results are fantastic and reasonably long lasting. Just don't buy it from Halfrauds as their prices are ridiculously overinflated.

As with any wax, the trick is the prep. If you've not prepared your car properly the results will never be at their best.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfadodge View Post
I recently got the Autoglym Lifeshine 'redone' (if it was ever done in the first place) on my 159 and when i collected it, part of the 'detailing' they had done was to coat the tyres in some blackish shiny sh*t that, when i came to wash the car a couple of weeks later, just stuck to whatever i washed the tyre with (brush & sponge) and made them go black too.

Sounds petty i know but God it made me angry

I've used products like Son Of A Gun in the past which is fine at making the tyres look nice and new and doesn't transfer to whatever you later use to wash the tyres with, but never come across anything as nasty as that black shiny stuff that has probably has 'cheap valeters' sh*t' on the bottle

Rant over
Lifeshine is only as good as the prep that's gone into it and it MUST be applied properly, something most dealers never do!

As for tyres. Clean then with a soft brush and a good APC, something like Autosmart G101 then use Meguiars Endurance tyre gel, it's excellent.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Use a local one regularly for my GT. Always looks better when they've done it than me.
I on occasion wash it by hand but to me (it being black metallic I think) still looks a bit ****. I did buy some Demon Shine which helps.

I managed to scratch it badly using a power washer at a garage as there must have been some grit on the rubber hose that I dragged across the roof.

I'm not much into cleaning cars I guess, it takes too much of my weekend up doing them.
We have three and my two favourites I wash by hand myself when my arm is twisted

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
Durty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARnovice View Post
exactly the same in our area - the are several hand washes and one of them is considered 'good', plenty of very expensive cars using it. But they are all the same generally and their sponges are not really clean... Plus they use stuff close to acid to clean the alloys.
Thats why brake calipers are looking faded or even rusty, the acid based wheel cleaner they use is strong and even attacks the centre caps.

AO Platinum Member

County: herts
A chuckle thread as you know it makes sense to DIY that machine with care?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durty dog View Post
Thats why brake calipers are looking faded or even rusty, the acid based wheel cleaner they use is strong and even attacks the centre caps.
Not to mention badly mixed TFR (if it's even diluted at all!). I've had some cars come to me with horrific etching in the lacquer and glass caused by these clowns. A £5 handwash seems great at the time but not so great when you've got to shell out £300+ to undo the damage.
AO Gold Member

but sometimes what is the alternative?

I am renting the place and no allowed to wash the car in a car park (probably to avoid all tenants to create pools of dirt and soap in the car park), plus there is no space capacity to keep the equipment even if I were allowed to do so...

Sometimes I think the only alternative is to find one of those mobile valeting services that do things right. But that would cost at least 30 quid a time and again can't be done near home, so again even if I do it at work, than the driving home is involved and by then you can't wax the car on arrival, there will be some dust and sand on the surface... vicious circle

One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star - it's a satanic drug thing, you wouldn't understand...
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARnovice View Post
but sometimes what is the alternative?

I am renting the place and no allowed to wash the car in a car park (probably to avoid all tenants to create pools of dirt and soap in the car park), plus there is no space capacity to keep the equipment even if I were allowed to do so...
Might be worth considering a waterless or rinseless wash
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejackson View Post
Might be worth considering a waterless or rinseless wash
I think I will do actually. Might be a good variant combined with a Jet Wash at the nearest BP station (which is not sufficient on it's own, but good for removing most of the dirt)
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommywho156 View Post
You're confusing HD Wax with a different Autoglym product - Aqua Wax. HD Wax is actually a very good wax indeed, very easy to apply and remove and the results are fantastic and reasonably long lasting. Just don't buy it from Halfrauds as their prices are ridiculously overinflated.

As with any wax, the trick is the prep. If you've not prepared your car properly the results will never be at their best.
ahhhh thats what im thinking of!

i use my friends cleaning stuff, hes got his own company called formulaclean!

been using it for year and half and i prefer it to autoglym etc.... i feel they are generally expensive because there big brands, pay for the name not the product!

I have used poorboys white diamond and black hole and i think they are very good glazes!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
car , hand , washes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page