Best Polish/Wax for blu chiaia di luna met - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 10-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Flintshire
Best Polish/Wax for blu chiaia di luna met

Since the sun has come out I have noticed that the last owner of my GT must of washed and polished the car with a scouring pad, can anyone recommend a quality polish or wax that will help restore the paintwork.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: KwaZulu-Natal

Member car:

Giulietta MA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchiesemple View Post
Since the sun has come out I have noticed that the last owner of my GT must of washed and polished the car with a scouring pad, can anyone recommend a quality polish or wax that will help restore the paintwork.
If the paints really bad, you need to wash, clay, polish, glaze and then wax, preferably with an orbital polisher.
AO Member

County: hampshire
Megiuars Ulitmate wax and separate Swirl remover with DA machine does a pretty good job especially on back car, I wash and clay with a clay mitt very light pressure and then dry and DA swirl remove 1x panel at a time, weekend to do both sides and bonnet etc.
Effort for end result worth the time, just wash and top up wax with quick wax spray when needed.
Noodle mitt and rinse bucket a good ideal on dark colours.
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 11-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Flintshire
From more than 2 metres away the car looks stunning, especially when the sun is on it, the swirls are only visible from close up but I know they are there now so that annoying.

I am sure with one professional polish the paintwork will be restored, I do not shy away from manual labour but do you not think this is a job for a body shop who have the proper gear.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta MA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchiesemple View Post
From more than 2 metres away the car looks stunning, especially when the sun is on it, the swirls are only visible from close up but I know they are there now so that annoying.

I am sure with one professional polish the paintwork will be restored, I do not shy away from manual labour but do you not think this is a job for a body shop who have the proper gear.
It would be best to hand your car to a professional auto detailer who would analyse the paint and then do the appropriate paint correction. Every car calls for an individual approach, if one wants the best results.
Major or minor swirls, paint thickness, soft or hard paint, paint colour - some factors which would determine what corrective action is required.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
removing swirls is really tough by hand...REALLY tough.

Ideally you'll need a two stage correction to remove them and restore your paintwork. Stage 1 cuts the clearcoat/lacquer back to remove/reduce the swirls, stage 2 refines and polishes the clearcoat/lacquer to a high shine. This is all achieved using either a dual action or rotary polisher and appropriate pads and compounds and possibly wet sanding if some scratches require it. Most detailing companies will do this work without a problem but be warned, done properly this is not a quick or simple process and involves multiple stages.

1) the car is pre-washed/snow foamed then rinsed
2) The car is two bucket washed then rinsed.
3) Tar & glue remover is applied and rinsed
4) Iron fallout remover is applied and rinsed
5) The car is clay barred.
6) The car is again two bucket washed, rinsed and dried.
7) The cars paint is inspected using sun lamps and paint depth measurements are taken from all over the car.
8) The cars trim, lights, badges, window seals etc are taped off to avoid getting polish on them
9) two or more passes are made with a polisher using a course cutting compound, this can take several hours depending on multiple factors.
10) Two or more passes are made with a polisher using a polishing compound.
11) If necessary a glaze may be applied to cover any swirls/scratches that were too deep to be polished out (not always required)
12) The car is wiped down with IPA to remove oil residues from the polishes/compounds.
13) A sealant or wax is applied (sometimes both).

(obviously I've not mentioned cleaning the wheels)

The above will usually take 2-3 days and the price varies around the country and from detailer to detailer. As a guide when I did my GT last it took two full days and I'd have charged around £350.

www.facebook.com/tjr5150 For all your valeting and detailing needs.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta MA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommywho156 View Post
removing swirls is really tough by hand...REALLY tough.

Ideally you'll need a two stage correction to remove them and restore your paintwork. Stage 1 cuts the clearcoat/lacquer back to remove/reduce the swirls, stage 2 refines and polishes the clearcoat/lacquer to a high shine. This is all achieved using either a dual action or rotary polisher and appropriate pads and compounds and possibly wet sanding if some scratches require it. Most detailing companies will do this work without a problem but be warned, done properly this is not a quick or simple process and involves multiple stages.

1) the car is pre-washed/snow foamed then rinsed
2) The car is two bucket washed then rinsed.
3) Tar & glue remover is applied and rinsed
4) Iron fallout remover is applied and rinsed
5) The car is clay barred.
6) The car is again two bucket washed, rinsed and dried.
7) The cars paint is inspected using sun lamps and paint depth measurements are taken from all over the car.
8) The cars trim, lights, badges, window seals etc are taped off to avoid getting polish on them
9) two or more passes are made with a polisher using a course cutting compound, this can take several hours depending on multiple factors.
10) Two or more passes are made with a polisher using a polishing compound.
11) If necessary a glaze may be applied to cover any swirls/scratches that were too deep to be polished out (not always required)
12) The car is wiped down with IPA to remove oil residues from the polishes/compounds.
13) A sealant or wax is applied (sometimes both).

(obviously I've not mentioned cleaning the wheels)

The above will usually take 2-3 days and the price varies around the country and from detailer to detailer. As a guide when I did my GT last it took two full days and I'd have charged around £350.
You're a pro detailer, Tommy!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
blu , chiaia , luna , met , polish or wax

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page