what next??? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By italover
  • 1 Post By Tommywho156
  • 1 Post By Ber Tony GT

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 09-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

Alfa Giulietta

what next???

Since buying my G a month ago I have gone from someone who owned a car for nearly 10 years and washed/polished it maybe 5 or 6 times in it's life to now having washed, polished and waxed my car at least 5 times! (only polished and waxed once)

So as you can see I'm not what you would call an expert.

Having read things on this very forum regarding best practice etc, I went and splashed out on some Meguiars Ultimate wash & Wax, Deep Crystal polish and Ultimate Wax which is fantastic compared to the Merr I have used before on other vehicles. But I now have read about using Collinite to help protect the paintwork from bird poo etc. Can I use this straight on top of what I have already done or do I have to some how strip this back so that the Ultimate wax is taken off, If so how??

If I don't use this Collinite stuff, when is the right time to re do the whole wash,polish and wax routine as surely if you still have any wax on the car then when it comes to polishing again you wont be applying it the paintwork but to the surface of the old wax, if that makes sense! Doing it this way must make up layers of polish and wax and eventually effect the shine of the car?

Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid but as you can tell I'm very new to all this addictive cleaning. The only problem I have noticed so far is that I get very stressed every time I see a big rain cloud looming or a vehicle that is throwing a load of crap out all over the place. In fact, I may in the near future be starting a job were I have to drive right passed a refuse tip entrance that's always scruffy, I don't know how I'll cope

Thanks in advance

S00TY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

When I got mine 2 months ago I gave her a clay, then polish and 2 layers of wax. I now wash and just spray with 'wet wax' and dry her off.

There's no need to keep polishing as like you say your just stripping off the protective wax. Don't know about a bird poo protection though, I suggest dating a better standard of err bird will help..
AO Silver Member

County: KwaZulu-Natal

Member car:

Giulietta MA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S00TY View Post
Since buying my G a month ago I have gone from someone who owned a car for nearly 10 years and washed/polished it maybe 5 or 6 times in it's life to now having washed, polished and waxed my car at least 5 times! (only polished and waxed once)

So as you can see I'm not what you would call an expert.

Having read things on this very forum regarding best practice etc, I went and splashed out on some Meguiars Ultimate wash & Wax, Deep Crystal polish and Ultimate Wax which is fantastic compared to the Merr I have used before on other vehicles. But I now have read about using Collinite to help protect the paintwork from bird poo etc. Can I use this straight on top of what I have already done or do I have to some how strip this back so that the Ultimate wax is taken off, If so how??

If I don't use this Collinite stuff, when is the right time to re do the whole wash,polish and wax routine as surely if you still have any wax on the car then when it comes to polishing again you wont be applying it the paintwork but to the surface of the old wax, if that makes sense! Doing it this way must make up layers of polish and wax and eventually effect the shine of the car?

Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid but as you can tell I'm very new to all this addictive cleaning. The only problem I have noticed so far is that I get very stressed every time I see a big rain cloud looming or a vehicle that is throwing a load of crap out all over the place. In fact, I may in the near future be starting a job were I have to drive right passed a refuse tip entrance that's always scruffy, I don't know how I'll cope

Thanks in advance

S00TY
Sooty,you should at least wash your car once a week. I have mine washed twice weekly.

Polish should be applied approx once a year. It is abrasive and is used to remover minor marks etc.

Depending on quality of the wax, a good quality wax should be able to offer at least 2-3 months protection.
Since you've used a good quality wax, Meguiars, I suggest in about 3 months apply Collinit.
Just wash and wax with CollinitE. Do not polish.
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 10-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

Alfa Giulietta

Cheers fellas, that's just the answers I was looking for, thanks very much. You mentioned about applying Collinite in about 3 months time, is that generally the rule of thumb that you would use to reapply any form of wax? I know the wash i use for the car has wax in it so I'm hoping that this will keep it nice and shiny for as long as possible.
AO Silver Member

County: KwaZulu-Natal

Member car:

Giulietta MA.

Some top quality waxes or sealants can offer up to 6 months protection.
Generally, you would wax at least every 2-3 months. A visual inspection, the kind of gloss you desire, and running your hands through her body (your car's!), should be an indicator whether she needs a wax or not.

The general steps to auto detailing are:
1. Wash
2. Clay (if body is not smooth enough)
3. Polish
4. Glaze (filling in and removal of swirls)
5. Sealant
6. Wax
in that order

One doesn't necessarily have to complete all 6 steps. It depends on the state of the paint.

Just remember, polishing should be done rarely as it can remove a layer of paint.
Wax often, whenever required - and you'll have a beautiful gloss and protection from the elements.
S00TY likes this.

1985 Giulietta 2.0: Ex. - sapphire blue:
1985 Giulietta 2.0 Ex. - silver
2000 145 - silver

Alfa Romeo - engineered for excitement!
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

Mito QV,156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by warniegt View Post
I suggest dating a better standard of err bird will help..
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Right, I'm going to say something you've all missed.

No amount of wax or sealant is going to offer much protection against bird poo, it is ridiculously corrosive and will start to damage your cars clearcoat the moment it lands there. Waxes and sealants can only offer very short term defence.
My advice is to treat any bird poo as soon as you see it. Firstly soak it with water, DO NOT be tempted to just wipe it off, especially if its hard. once its soaked for a few minutes try lightly dabbing it off with a clean cloth, don't wipe or scrub. If it doesn't dab away apply more water and keep dabbing it away each time.
Then apply a little quick detail spray to the affected area and very gently buff.
I'd also recommend washing the car as soon as is convenient ( the sooner the better)

A customer bought a Renault Scenic to me a couple of weeks ago that a bird had pooped on. It had been left for nearly a week and when they removed it (I'm not sure what they used or how they did it) there were patches of bare metal, the poop had literally eaten through the clearcoat, paint and then the primer.

The Collinite you've chosen is a great product though and will offer a little more protection than just leaving it and personally I'd get it on the car sooner rather than later, you can always wax over it too as its a sealant but you cant apply a sealant over a wax.
S00TY likes this.

www.facebook.com/tjr5150 For all your valeting and detailing needs.
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Tommy is correct on this one, any bird poo needs removing asap, I usually dab with soaking wet kitchen towel, very effective.
I've seen it burn into the paint on new cars, leaves a shadowy stain behind but there is a trick to get rid of this, if its this bad, wave a hair dryer over the area, not too close to the paint mind, and it should disappear with the heat.
Note, this is only effective if you haven't tried to polish the mark out beforehand, as this seems to merge it with the clearcoat.
S00TY likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page