Good Machine polisher around £100? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 17-03-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire
Good Machine polisher around £100?

Hi guys, someone has scratched the wife's car, it's like a box has been placed on the bonnet and then pulled off leaving two long scratch. I have clay bar it but still white line so must have go through to the primer although not a deep scratch as I can't get my nail in it etc.

I thought I would take this opportunity to gain some brownie points and treat myself to a machine polisher as my v6 project has a load of minor bush/plant scratches across the side where last owner drove it in and out of his driveway.

I have watched a load of videos and see loads of different machine polishers on ebay to the point I'm a little confused so I thought I would ask you guys.

So can I get a good machine polisher for around £100, if so any good recommendations??

Many thanks Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
Buy a rotary Jon and don't bother with a DA, i have a Makita Rotary that ive never used. .....Its the thought that counts, i keep telling myself.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

A branded DA is probably going to be around your budget level but these would not include pads or polishes. There are quite a few threads on Detailing World where people have bought cheaper units on ebay which also include pads. The feedback generally seems to be positive although the pads and polishes are probably not the best. However, the view seems to be for the price, they are good value.

If it was my money, I would probably save up and buy something like a DAS6-Pro for £99 and buy a set of pads with the extra money, but if your budget is tight then maybe ebay is the place to buy from.

These days I use a rotary but these are a different beast than a DA
(Post Link) post #4 of 21 Old 19-03-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks for the advise I will check out the detailing world website :-)

See this rotary one?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/281630790612?nav=SEARCH
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonalfaspider View Post
Thanks for the advise I will check out the detailing world website :-)

See this rotary one?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/281630790612?nav=SEARCH
Looks expensive to me, I think a new polisher is about £100. A rotary really is a different beast compared to a DA. A DA is almost plug and play whereas a rotary takes a while to be effective. There is nothing wrong with a rotary but you really can get into trouble much faster than a DA. A rotary is generally much quicker especially on harder paint. If the paint is soft or very soft then a rotary can be very 'challenging'.

If you fancy a rotary then a Silverline can be bought for about £50-60, it is heavy and rather basic although it is very cheap. Decent backing plate would be another £20, couple of small bottle of polish for another £20 and then pads would be £20-30.

I use a rotary not because there is any problems with a DA but rather it seems I am very sensitive to the vibrations and my hands would go numb very quickly. Most people do not seem to have this problem so don't let this put you off
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GTV

if the scratch on your bonnet is down to the primer or base coat then you cant cut/buff/polish it out...

If you have never done machine polishing before do not start with a rotary polisher... they are agressive. Sometimes that agression is a good thing if you are specifically taking out an area of damage than needs agressive heavy buffing. Or you are doing a car that needs a lot of correction.

But if you dont know what your doing, then using the rotary could cause you to marr the paintwork or blast your way through the clearcoat. Honestly dont do it..

Get a DAS6 pro DA polisher would be my advice, you have to be really reckless to damage your car with one of these. That can get you good results and even when you maybe get a rotary later on, the DAS6 will be a tool you will still use and go back to for certain jobs.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Quote:
Originally Posted by A l f a View Post
if the scratch on your bonnet is down to the primer or base coat then you cant cut/buff/polish it out....
Good point, I was sure I had mentioned this in my reply but had clearly only thought about it and not actually typed it.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
DON'T buy a rotary machine if you've never used one before and know what you're doing. You'll just end up burning through the lacquer and causing more issues. A DA like a DAS6 Pro will do the job just as well, it just takes a little longer. The upside is that you're far less likely to damage the lacquer.
I do a lot of paint corrections and minor scratch removals and I barely use a rotary anymore, I favour the Rupes Bigfoot. I will also add that Alfa lacquer is soft - really soft and its very easy to go too far if you don't know what you're doing.

If you want, John, bring the car over to mine and I'll sort it. We're due a beer anyway...

www.facebook.com/tjr5150 For all your valeting and detailing needs.
AO Member

County: Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejackson View Post
If it was my money, I would probably save up and buy something like a DAS6-Pro for £99 and buy a set of pads with the extra money
Where are you buying a DAS6-Pro from for only £99? I'd like one but everywhere I look, they're much more expensive.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliealfamike View Post
Where are you buying a DAS6-Pro from for only £99? I'd like one but everywhere I look, they're much more expensive.
£99 is either a standard Das6 or possibly a group buy price for the Pro.
AO Member

County: Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommywho156 View Post
£99 is either a standard Das6 or possibly a group buy price for the Pro.
Thanks
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

(Post Link) post #13 of 21 Old 31-03-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks guys, that looks like a good price, tom I will order one of these and drop you a text when it arrives for a beer n user guide lol!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks guys, that looks like a good price, tom I will order one of these and drop you a text when it arrives for a beer n user guide lol!
No worries mate.
I've not looked at the link so don't know the details of the deal. Just make sure that if it doesn't come with pads and compounds that you budget for those too and maybe a different sized backing plate (and pads).
AO Member

County: hampshire
Bought dodo juice DA last year less than a ton with couple of pads, added a few different types of pads and meguiars swirl remover, autoglym polish an megs ultimate wax, clay mitt soon adds up but worth it for the results.
I do one panel at a time 20 mins approx. total from wash, clay, compound, polish and wax.
Tips on da use on youtube meguiars lots of videos.
removes swirls but doesn't remove scratch just hides it well.
good luck
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire
Not sure if this has come too late etc . but a very good tool for polishing is an electric silverline MOP which you can use a few types of heads on . they are about £40+ depending on the heads you have with it , the normal price for these items which are used in the paint shop are about £150. i use one myself and they are very very good.

ive not read all the replies so sorry if i repeat anyone .
It all depends on how far down the scratches have gone , as if too deep you will be wasting your time just buffing.

but if you can give a photo i can give you a idea on what to do at the least amount of cost and arm ache

link for one with all the heads your ever need

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverline...item35dccf3f0e

All spares parts for 156 and 147 being sold that i will not be using (cheap) nothing too small ask what you want , willing to post world wide Phone 07922123242 Ask for Neil and say Mark said to phone .

Download link for Alfa 156's http://www.filedropper.com/alfaelearn
(Post Link) post #17 of 21 Old 27-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

thanks for all the info guys, i haven't got round to purchasing one yet as i have had to save every penny to save my spider as it through a conrod

she looks good lol

will get one in the next few months as the scratches are really starting to annoy me lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (9).jpg (86.0 KB, 13 views)
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GTV

clean your car . com is a good place to get stuff from both in terms of price and service. they do a bundle on there where you can the DAS6 pro. mirror glaze 105 and 205 and a orange and white hex logic buffer pads (orange for the 105 and white for the 205). ontop of that you need clay and lube. Id also recomend buying some IPA solution to mix up with water I use this when Ive done a polishing pass and I want to remove the residue to have a look at the cleacoat to see if I need to do more passes (its also very usefull for removing wax). You will also want good waffle weave drying towels used to dry your car of loose liquids. and a good polishing towel for removing sealant/wax or other products (other than loose liquid).

when your car is cleaned and clayed and dry, you want to do the polishing in good light. I bought a powerfull trippod halogen light stand for 25 quid on the bay. Research well on doing a 2 stage polish on u tube (junkman2000's vids). Go slow the 1 polishing stage does leave the clearcoat feeling rough. If it doesnt need major correction then 4 slow crosshatch passes each section (2foot by 2foot at a time) with just enough pressure so the pad starts to compress and bite but not so the pad is flat (not much pressure). Prime your pads. Use lub on first stage polish work the polish slowly till its loose enough to flash and leave nice little circle trails of polish. Dont use too much polish. Once the first stage is done make sure all the polish is off the car and the panels are clean. The 2nd 205 stage is what really makes the paint feel like flat smooth glass. no lube required just take your time. your not gonna be doing much cutting with the 2nd pass so its really important to go slow and do the whole car (maybe 4 passes again).

when polished seal it all up and enjoy.

Set aside at least 12 hours to do the above. dont rush or it defeats the effort of doing the polish. if you get it right and protect the car you wont be doing this again anytime soon.
AO Silver Member

You can always drop it round mine and I'll sort it for you mate.
(Post Link) post #20 of 21 Old 29-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Cheers bud, I would like to take you up on your kind offer :-) the v6 is have some final pre mot work and then she goes in for her first mot since 2011 so if all goes well I would like to pop round with the beast and polisher and learn how to use it lol! I have visions of me taking the paint off!

Here are a few pics of the scratches
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Cheers bud, I would like to take you up on your kind offer :-) the v6 is have some final pre mot work and then she goes in for her first mot since 2011 so if all goes well I would like to pop round with the beast and polisher and learn how to use it lol! I have visions of me taking the paint off!

Here are a few pics of the scratches
Feel free to give me a buzz mate and we'll sort a day (or two) and get it done....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
good , machine , polisher , £100

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page