Scratches in paint - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 13-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Mazowieckie

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Scratches in paint

or could someone give me a name of wax , or something similar to remove minor scratches on the paint ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Brera 3.2 OEM+

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLX_88 View Post
or could someone give me a name of wax , or something similar to remove minor scratches on the paint ?
Wax wont remove anything. A wax is essentially a lense, its a layer on the car to which the paint is observed through.

The first question is... can you feel the scratch with your finger nail? If so, then you wont be able to remove the scratch by hand, its a machine polisher job, or worst a respray.

If you cant feel the scratch then you need to polish it out. Again, the misconception here is that polishes remove scratches etc. If you are doing any work on the paint by hand then you probably are not removing the scratch, as to remove the scratch you need to remove some of the lacquer which can only be done by a machine polisher.

Most if not all polishes contain 'fillers' and abrasive particles, they do not only fill the scratch to make it less visible but also smooth the edges to make it refract the light less, again making it less visible.

So to answer your question, a good starter polish is Auto Glym Super Resin Polish. It routinely wins best all rounder polish and is known within the detailing world as being a great polish to start on. Can be bought at Halfords:

Halfords | Autoglym Super Resin Polish 500ml

This polish will fill scratches making them less visble, it has tiny particles that fill marks and leaves the paint looking glossy and shiney. Now, the issue here is that over time the polish will wash out with rain etc, so you need to 'seal' in the work you do. This is when a wax comes in, a wax over a polished car will keep it looking cleaner for longer. Auto Glym also do a beginners wax:

Halfords | Autoglym High Definition Wax

Another great product to being with.

Hope this helps, this is beginner 'detailing' stuff and gets a lot more in depth depending on how much effort you want to put in.

Dan
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
On my black GTV I have found Poor boys 'Black Hole' followed by Poor boys wax for dark colours works very well.

For 'real' scratches try Meguiars 'Scratch-X'. Then the above. There are similar products for lighter colours too.
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 16-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Danman ....
I don't feel the scratch on my finger, this scratches is only visible... like... used hard material to polish
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
A glaze such as Poor Boys Black Hole, Super Resin Polish or Cherry glaze will hide swirl marks and minor scratches for a short time. To remove them properly you need a machine polish, either a one or two stage depending on how bad the scratches/swirl marks are.

Before using any of the above products the car should be properly decontaminated with a clay bar and fallout remover to get the very best results and then sealed with a good quality hard wax.
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 16-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

ok, thanks guys for info
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Brera 3.2 OEM+

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommywho156 View Post
a glaze such as poor boys black hole, super resin polish or cherry glaze will hide swirl marks and minor scratches for a short time. To remove them properly you need a machine polish, either a one or two stage depending on how bad the scratches/swirl marks are.

Before using any of the above products the car should be properly decontaminated with a clay bar and fallout remover to get the very best results and then sealed with a good quality hard wax.
+1
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GTV

Super Resin Polish is a waste of time. sorry not trying to be arguementative thats just my view. And anyone trying to kind of get rid of swirls will be wasting their time trying to do so with SRP. It doesnt even disguise or fill them well. It just makes mess and does very little. dont believe me. Go and use it on your car.

If you want to learn how to polish with a machine buy the DAS6 pro DA polisher bundle from cleanyoucar.com with megs mirror glaze 105 and 205 and hex logic orange and white pads included. (140 quid I think)

then go and watch the junkmans videos on you tube on how to do a safe 2 stage polish with the above equipement (save for the fact he uses a porter cable DA polisher which is available in the USA)

thats a good way to start. And the most important thing is to make sure your car is clean using the steps he talks about before you start. thats critical. If you dont know how to clean your car (pre rinse-2bucket-dry-clay-wipedown) then you cant start to polish it. otherwise you will do damage by buffing grit around.

there are quicker methods and different options in terms of machinery, and pads and product. But the junkmans tutorials are good for starting out. They will give you a low risk, slow carefull method for correcting swirls etc.. be aware the process will take over a day to correct the paint on your car. You need a good garage as well. Once you get into it, its kind of cool. in an OCD kind of way.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
paint , scratches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page