Armor All wax - any experience? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 04-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Armor All wax - any experience?

Hey all, anyone any experience of Armor All Speed Wax Spray. Just bought some from my local car accessory shop, and thought I was getting a deal at £7.95. However, just found that the stufdf I've bought is not the same stuff that came top in the Auto Express 2014 test of polishes/waxes. That would be Armor All Shield? Confusing.

Also bought some Armor All Alloy Wheel spray - that apparently is wonder stuff and stops build up of brake dust. Snake oil?

Hoping the wax spray will make my Alfa Red colouring look deeper and more luscious than ever. Just wondered what others are using for good results.

Anyone used Super Guard by the way? My dealer wanted to flog it me for about £150 when I bought the car in October - but told them to stick it seen as they were being **** price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: West Lothian
Most dealer super guards are just very hard waxes. They still wear out in time, faster if you wash it more. They really aren't worth the cost. Most of that cost is labour anyway.
AO Member

County: Kent
I had the superguard on my Guilietta that I ordered new last June. I ordered mag grey. I have to say it looks pretty good, I don't even polish the car. I just clean it with no rinse and it comes up as new as the day I picked it up. My last car was a solid black mito with no protection guard and it would hairline scratch just by cleaning it with a cloth. Worse paint job I've had an a car. I'm impressed with the guard. If you have the patience and time you can apply it yourself for a fraction of the cost.

Garage
I always thought that the stuff the dealers gave was a ceramic coating type product which would explain the price but to be honest if you want the deepest possible looking red on your car, its all in the prep. a wax will help such as the amour all but just make sure that you don't use snow foam or anything that will strip the wax off.
(Post Link) post #5 of 17 Old 04-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cheshire
What is snow foam? I've just bought myself a Bosh jet wash - I hope you don't mean this does washes the wax off?

Garage
no your okay, don't worry, snow foam is just a pre wash, its just a foam that's produced using a snow foam lance, a power washer and the solution. Just another wash stage to get the most dirt off the car before you touch it with a wash mitt, looks like this:

IMG_20141005_174714.jpg

Some people swear by it some don't
AO Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjg View Post
I always thought that the stuff the dealers gave was a ceramic coating type product which would explain the price but to be honest if you want the deepest possible looking red on your car, its all in the prep. a wax will help such as the amour all but just make sure that you don't use snow foam or anything that will strip the wax off.
The stuff the dealers put on my car has a 3 year life and is guaranteed for that length of time. It won't just wash off with constant washing. On my car you can see the coating when its clean, a varning like coating and it does look flatter and beads off water. My old mito never looked mirror flat and had that orange peel finish. The superguards flattens this out as it fills in the grooves when applied. More info can be found on the superguard web site.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
The Armour All stuff is quick & easy to use and protects pretty well.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapalmer View Post
The stuff the dealers put on my car has a 3 year life and is guaranteed for that length of time. It won't just wash off with constant washing. On my car you can see the coating when its clean, a varning like coating and it does look flatter and beads off water. My old mito never looked mirror flat and had that orange peel finish. The superguards flattens this out as it fills in the grooves when applied. More info can be found on the superguard web site.
You've been brainwashed
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Snow foam stripping wax? What a load of tosh!!!

Some foams are mildly alkaline and may deteriorate a waxes performance over time, but frequent washing with a non PH neutral shampoo can do that too. When buying a snow foam buy one that is PH neutral, ValetPro PH Neutral and Bilt & Hamber Auto Foam are my two favourites (Mainz Equilibrium was also on the list but given the owners recent theft of charity money many detailers/valeters are boycotting Mainz products).

Other pre-washes such as citrus based pre washes will have a greater effect on a waxes durability but still won't "strip" a wax.
There are products designed to remove waxes quickly and safely, my favoured one is CarPro Eraser.

Ceramic or glass coatings are a different thing altogether...

www.facebook.com/tjr5150 For all your valeting and detailing needs.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
You've been brainwashed
If the surface of the car has been prepped properly and the correct cure times have been used it can last that long. Sadly most dealerships don't give their valeting staff enough time or the correct equipment to do the job properly.
I always tell people buying a new car to tell the dealers not to wash it (in most cases I tell them not to even remove the transport film!).
You wouldn't believe the amount of contamination that comes out of the paint of a brand new car!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommywho156 View Post
Snow foam stripping wax? What a load of tosh!!!

Some foams are mildly alkaline and may deteriorate a waxes performance over time, but frequent washing with a non PH neutral shampoo can do that too. When buying a snow foam buy one that is PH neutral, ValetPro PH Neutral and Bilt & Hamber Auto Foam are my two favourites (Mainz Equilibrium was also on the list but given the owners recent theft of charity money many detailers/valeters are boycotting Mainz products).

Other pre-washes such as citrus based pre washes will have a greater effect on a waxes durability but still won't "strip" a wax.
There are products designed to remove waxes quickly and safely, my favoured one is CarPro Eraser.

Ceramic or glass coatings are a different thing altogether...
There is a snow foam that will strip a wax. Iron x for one and theres also shampoo that will strip wax so its not 'tosh' as you say. the term strip was loosely used in the context i was using it. But by your theory there is no need for the use of ph neutral snow foam or shampoo as even a ph will graduually work away at the wax.

I know the difference between the glass and ceramic coating, just havent ever experienced supagaurd so dknt know what ut is fully, weither that be a ceramic coating ot a film like ventra shield
AO Silver Member

Quote:
There is a snow foam that will strip a wax. Iron x for one and theres also shampoo that will strip wax so its not 'tosh' as you say. the term strip was loosely used in the context i was using it. But by your theory there is no need for the use of ph neutral snow foam or shampoo as even a ph will graduually work away at the wax.

I know the difference between the glass and ceramic coating, just havent ever experienced supagaurd so dknt know what ut is fully, weither that be a ceramic coating ot a film like ventra shield
Iron-X foam is a fallout/contamination removing foam and according to the manufacturers its LSP safe, however, I wouldn't trust it not to degrade wax. I know theres shampoos that will strip wax, I even named one (CarPro Eraser) they're designed specifically for that task.
My "theory" about general washing degrading wax is a sound one, wax is not a perminent coating frequent washing will wear the layer down over time, using a non-PH neutral shampoo or snow foam will speed that process up. Hence why you use a PH neutral foam and shampoo to maintain the layer of protection for as long as possible.

Garage
On a different subject all together, tommy what do you use, a rotary or a da?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
On a different subject all together, tommy what do you use, a rotary or a da?
Both, depending on the task at hand. Most of the time I favour a Rupes Bigfoot, it pretty much covers most bases and is safer than my Makita rotary.

Garage
Just asking as i am thinking of getting rid of the rotary and going to a da, got a new car and dont do as much machining as i used to
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Just asking as i am thinking of getting rid of the rotary and going to a da, got a new car and dont do as much machining as i used to
Rotaries are great but I find myself using them less and less now unless it's a big job or something with really hard paint (new Beamers for instance). I can really recommend the Rupes, it's a fantastic machine...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
armor , experience , wax

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page