auto glym? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 52 Old 06-01-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
auto glym?

i have been using auto glym for many years now to detail my alfa,s, generally the products are very good, i often wonder should i stray to another brand and get even better results , has any one gone and left the glym products to another brand and are happy with the results
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Autoglym were great and I still have bottles of SRP and EGP because customers know the brand and trust it. I will also say that they're not what they used to be and there's far better out there. For example, SRP is no longer really a polish, the recent change in formula saw the abraisives removed and it's now full of fillers, so it's more like a glaze. The results don't last anywhere near as long.
If you're serious about trying other products then I'd suggest looking at:
Mainz.
Angel Wax.
AutoBrite Direct.
Soft99.
Juicy Details.
Dodo Juice.
Poor Boys.

All are priced similarly to AG and all outperform anything AG currently has to offer.

www.facebook.com/tjr5150 For all your valeting and detailing needs.
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Good question to ask, in fact I've been asking myself the same for a while now. Is it best to buy all products from one brand or mix and match.
AO Silver Member

Honestly I won't use Autoglym on my own car and always try to talk customers out of it. They're nowhere near as good as other stuff out there (although the shampoo is very good).
Since machine polishing mine and several customers cars I've only ever needed wax to protect the paint.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

There is a staggering of alternatives to the AG range. However, there is nothing wrong with their products and if someone forced me to stay with SRP & EGP I would not loose much sleep.

No one brand can offer a range in which each product is really good which is why many will pick and choose different products for different tasks. If you wish to try other brands then just buy whatever you fancy, if you want to stay with AG then my view is you should still be able to get a great shine from their products.

I have not tried the AG (machine) polishes so cannot comment but with the exception of their Fast Glass I have liked all their consumer stuff

These days I tend to use other brands but technique and correct application will tend to be more important than who made it
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
I have a good selection of AG products on my shelf to use.
And I'm happy to continue to use what I've got.
I'll keep on using AG until I have to restock.
Then I'll make a decision as to change or stay!

As for which is best I do not know as I have not compared so can't help!
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire
AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

Nothing wrong with AG products at all. Not sure that the Super Resin Polish no longer contains abraisives. Only heard that the new formula is even better than the old because it doesn't "dust" as much. I've used it and it's brilliant.

Also use AGs HD Wax which is superb. Very easy to use too (if you use it sparingly, as you should).

Have tried stuff from Meguires, Poorboys, Autobrite and Angelwax - which were all very good. But not that much noticeable from the AG stuff. If at all.

Plus, the AG stuff is easy to get (as is Meguires) from your local Halfords - who often have a "Buy 2 get 1 free" offer on. So I wouldn't write-off AutoGlym just yet . . .

Oh, and AutoGlym's Aqua Wax is an absolute must-have in my humble opinion.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Our local Alfa section were invited to a local detailers for a demonstration day and at the end they invited us to purchase from the Zymol range that they use. Even though it was hugely expensive I thought that I would give a couple of the products a go.
I must say that I was hugely disappointed, their polish created dust like you would not believe so I have since reverted to my trusty Autoglym collection.
AO Silver Member

B&H clay bars and Auto Wheel wheel cleaner are the best money can buy in my opinion.
AO Detailing Car Of The Year Winner 2015

County: West Midlands
Auto Finesse
(Post Link) post #12 of 52 Old 07-01-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

thanks guys i have to say i am happy with ag but sometimes i wonder if i am missing out on a product that could be better tha ag
AO Platinum Member

I still think it's fantastic. New SRP is brilliant, HD Wax punches massively above its weight.

They also have what I consider to be the single best product in detailing- Aqua Wax.

Lots of snobbery in detailing yet in tests, AG is always top of the pile.
(Post Link) post #14 of 52 Old 07-01-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

yes i agree aqua wax is an awesome product
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
I still think it's fantastic. New SRP is brilliant, HD Wax punches massively above its weight.

They also have what I consider to be the single best product in detailing- Aqua Wax.

Lots of snobbery in detailing yet in tests, AG is always top of the pile.
No it isn't.
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside
Garage
I've been really impressed by Aqua Wax.
AO Member

County: -
Have used AG for ages but have tried others like Nanolex wheel cleaner (awesome stuff) and recently Collinite wax which I thimk is very easy to apply and polish off and so far seems to have lasted well in the recent winter weather. Still use AG glass polish and rubber trim though but might give the Megs tyre stuff a go.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
I love the aqua wax too, but I bought 5 litres as Autoglym Express Wax, cost about £30, rather than £12 for 500ml. I do use it most weeks...
All being well this weekend I am going to do a snowfoam with dodo Apple iFoam, followed by AG shampooing, G3 claymitting (with G3 detailer as lube) and my first AG HD waxing experience!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf M. View Post
I love the aqua wax too, but I bought 5 litres as Autoglym Express Wax, cost about £30, rather than £12 for 500ml. I do use it most weeks...
All being well this weekend I am going to do a snowfoam with dodo Apple iFoam, followed by AG shampooing, G3 claymitting (with G3 detailer as lube) and my first AG HD waxing experience!
After you've clayed wash the car again, dry it and then use panel wipe to remove any residues. That'll give the wax the best bond and increase the length of protection.
There's no need to use a detailer as lube a strong shampoo/water mix is sufficient.
iFoam is a great foam too.
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
I used autoglym for 10 years plus as I could usually get it cheap or even free being in the motor trade.
last few years ive switched to meguiars and can only give the highest recommendation, excellent products, very easy to use, reasonably priced.
Usually found autoglym SRP would create excessive dust on buffing, same with the cream glass cleaner.
In a nutshell meguiars completely outperforms it, also heard Collinite is an excellent product but yet to try it
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCeeV6 View Post
Have used AG for ages but have tried others like Nanolex wheel cleaner (awesome stuff) and recently Collinite wax which I thimk is very easy to apply and polish off and so far seems to have lasted well in the recent winter weather. Still use AG glass polish and rubber trim though but might give the Megs tyre stuff a go.
Do give the tyre gel a try, like the rest of meguiars its impressive stuff and quite long lasting
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber Tony GT View Post
I used autoglym for 10 years plus as I could usually get it cheap or even free being in the motor trade.
last few years ive switched to meguiars and can only give the highest recommendation, excellent products, very easy to use, reasonably priced.
Usually found autoglym SRP would create excessive dust on buffing, same with the cream glass cleaner.
In a nutshell meguiars completely outperforms it, also heard Collinite is an excellent product but yet to try it
Collinite is excellent, top tip is to put the bottle in a bowl of hot water to keep it a workable liquid.
Have you heard of Soft99 Fusso wax?
Roughly the same price as Collinite but easier to work with and the results are incredible for a wax that costs as little as £20.
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
I always go AG for the spray bottles, i.e. Glass, Plastics, Interior etc. Showroom Shine is awesome!!

But when using the DA, it's Megs, PBW and Collinite #845.

For Alloys, use PBW wheel wax sealant, nothing beats it's coating properties to stop brake dust in-grain. I applied x5 coats to my PH3 wheels, and I've maintained a showroom finish. Inner casings have no muck build up... As per my Avatar pic
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9jtd

i found if you clay bar the car first , it doesnt really matter which polish you use
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommywho156 View Post
After you've clayed wash the car again, dry it and then use panel wipe to remove any residues. That'll give the wax the best bond and increase the length of protection.
There's no need to use a detailer as lube a strong shampoo/water mix is sufficient.
iFoam is a great foam too.
Thanks for the advice. I am quite new to 'serious' cleaning. I didn't see your post till I'd finished but did do the second wash.

3 hours total and the car has never looked better since I got it.
Clay mitt is astounding. HD wax easy and a glorious finish. Wonder if a second coat is worth doing tomorrow?

Also used my usual AG instant tyre dressing, AG bumper care for rubber trim and PIAA glass cleaner.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
auto , glym

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page