Wax won't come off bonnet (just been resprayed) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 14-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Mito

Not Happy Wax won't come off bonnet (just been resprayed)

I had my bonnet resprayed on my Mito today after the encounter with the lovely kids who threw a stone at it. I took it home and a few hours after I sprayed some rapid detailer on it. Dried it. Then applied some Autoglym High Definition wax.

I left the wax on the car for an hour. I wiped it off and initially i thought it did a good job like that wax has in the past. But if you catch it in the light. You can see streaks which are IMPOSSIBLE to remove!

What I'm worried about (although they never told me this) is that I may have applied wax before the clear coat has had a good chance to properly cure. Although it would seem bizarre to give me the car back if it hadn't.

Ive tried going over the bonnet with the wax again hoping this would get rid of the streaks. tried polishing it/more rapid detailer. Im just going to leave it now i feel I'm wasting my time reading what other forums on the internet suggest i should do. Although, one hinted at a wax remover you can purchase from halfods.

Does anyone have a suggestion as what i could do/should do to remove the marks? And am i correct or wrong about the clearcoat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: West Lothian
Garage
They usually give the car back when the coating is drivable, i would have left it a couple of days atleast, i think you can do it earlier if its baked can you not?

i would get a wax stripping shampoo and take it all off and just apply a spray on wax or a easy liquid wax, just as to not put any strain on the bonnet clear coat, hope that helps some
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Try a product like Stripped-Ease. It should remove the wax. You could also use panel wipe too.
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 14-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Mito

Annoyingly enough guys. I think the streaks I'm seeing is damage to the clear coat. I'm pretty annoyed at myself for being so dumb. Would a buff get these out? I'm still yet to try stripping the wax

Garage
Depending on how deep these marks are will depend on if a buffer could deal with them efficiently, could require a wet sand, would give it a got with a buffer first though
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFM1 View Post
Annoyingly enough guys. I think the streaks I'm seeing is damage to the clear coat. I'm pretty annoyed at myself for being so dumb. Would a buff get these out? I'm still yet to try stripping the wax
Can you post a pic?
Waxing fresh paint shouldn't damage it as it should have been baked to cure it properly.
A buff with a DA may get it out but there could be a problem with how the bonnet has been painted.
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 14-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Mito

Well guys. Got it sorted. Spoke to the bodyshop that resprayed it and they said take it down and we will buff and wax it for free! even gave me some cake they got for children in need. They really do have fantastic customer service!

If anyone lives near or in Edinburgh i would strongly recommend Autosphere Car and Van Body Shop Repairs Edinburgh they really are fantastic! thanks for all your suggestions guys

Garage
That really is good service, not often you see that nowadays. Glad you got this fixed and got a little bit of cake in the process
AO Silver Member

Outstanding. Glad you got it sorted.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
autoglym , detailing , mito , resprayed , wax

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page