leather care - seats with holes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 09-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Victoria
leather care - seats with holes

Hi All
Am I correct in saying best to use leather wipes or a spray to avoid the tiny pinholes in leather seats from getting clogged?
Used one of the Meguairs Gold Class Leather products and although the result was great found some areas of pinholes blocked with residual cream.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
AO Detailing Car Of The Year Winner 2015

County: West Midlands
Is your leather coated? I.e does it absorb water or does bead on the surface? If it's the latter, you do not need to apply leather creams...
(Post Link) post #4 of 10 Old 11-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the tip. Will check.
If it's coated and water beads how is it best cared for?
Warm soapy water? What about leather wipes like the Dr Leather Wipes recommended n this site?

I'd avoid using dish soap, unless have very heavily soiled leather that normal leather cleaners cant clean.

Can't comment on the wipes as I've never used them but I use Dr Leather cleaner with a brush and I find it's excellent. (It's designed for use on modern coated leathers.) It leaves a nice matte factory finish, unlike leather creams that make the leather shiny and just attracts more dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommywho156 View Post
This looks interesting!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazGJ View Post
This looks interesting!
It's excellent.
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 12-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazGJ View Post
Is your leather coated? I.e does it absorb water or does bead on the surface? If it's the latter, you do not need to apply leather creams...
Just checked leather seats. Water doesn't really bead or really absorb? Difficult to describe!
It does sit on the surface of the leather in parts however also show signs of absorbing in other areas.

I did note the comments below on another thread "cleaning leather seats - best method?" by alcooker...

"Aren't leather seats and steering wheels sealed? And I'm pretty sure the sides of my TI seats are actually plastic. I was at the Rolls Royce leather shop a couple of years back and was told nearly all seats are sealed rather than oiled like old Jags etc. there are some Rolls Royce leathers that would need balm, but apparently these leather cleaners and conditioners are a waste of money on modern interiors.
I've used Gliptone, Autoglym and others and I've always felt it was just my hand or cloth that was getting conditioned. Smelt nice though. I've just been using mild soapy water for a about 4 years, takes the grease sheen off the leather, dulls it back down. If everything is sealed, it's just surface muck/grease and fairy is good for grease. Keeps my steering wheel matt too."

So are modern seats coated? If this is the case then sounds like creams are pointless.
Guess this is why you asked me to check the beading!

Cheers
BB

Yes modern leathers are usually coated and *says cautiously* yes putting creams are pointless. Sound like yours is a coated leather that may have worn down in certain areas.

If you allow dirt to build up in the leather the dirt becomes trapped in the pores and when this dirt grinds together it expands and causes surface cracks on the leather. Putting creams on when not needed will just create a greasy surface attracting more dirt and therefore require more cleaning.

However creams, oils, waxes etc DO serve a purpose. If you already have cracks or heavily worn or even aniline leather (absorbent leather by design (unusual in cars)) you wont have as much protection from absorbing stains. Adding creams will provide a (temporary) protective barrier. But as I mentioned by adding creams etc you will need to clean the seats more often.

If you want to protect your leather you may wish to try modern nano coats available now such as offered by Gtechniq or Gyeon which are supposedly more durable and leave a better finish.

When companies advertise 'conditioning' creams to 'hydrate' or 'moisturize' leather this is just marketing talk. Leather will naturally absorb/release all the moisture it needs from water (Osmosis). The best way to keep leather in good condition is to keep it clean.
AO Silver Member

If your leather is coated don't use one of those magic eraser blocks that claim they can get them clean. They're actually abraisive and damage the coating.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
care , holes , leather , seats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page