Autokit Waterless Car Wash. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 27-09-14 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Autokit Waterless Car Wash.

Been speaking to a friend about waterless car cleaning stuff. He's been using the Greased Lightening stuff and I have to say the results are impressive and, being naturally lazy, the idea appeals to me !

A quick search on eBay etc has thrown up the Autokit version and it's currently about half the price of the Greased Lightening stuff so is there a catch ? Anybody used the Autokit one, or indeed any of them ? What do you think ?

All opinions welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Loads of visit-at-work car wash services use it.

I've used quick detailer after garage jetwash before
when I've been feeling lazy.

I'm sure most on here would baulk at using it though.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
I don't understand it
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

I have used a couple of waterless washes and my main cleaning is done with a rinseless wash. Not sure waterless is quick but if the car has some light dirt then it is an alternative. The trick seems to be to use lots of cloths. I would say rinseless washing is generally quicker and safer but if you fancy giving a waterless a try then buy some
(Post Link) post #5 of 27 Old 28-09-14 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Thanks for the opinions.

A car I have just bought has been kept cleaned and polished by this sort of stuff and I have to say it looks very good indeed. Maybe I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Here's a pic of the car although to my certain knowledge it's done over 700 miles since it was last cleaned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aj1.jpg (261.3 KB, 36 views)
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
How does it avoid scratches?
(Post Link) post #7 of 27 Old 28-09-14 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
How does it avoid scratches?
I dunno Steve, but I'm told that it does.

Must admit that it's a bit of a mystery to me but I'm assured that they do work as advertised.
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside
Garage
When I lived on a terraced street I used to use the Greased Lightning Showroom Shine and haven't had any scratching issues. Mind you I've never used it on a properly dirty car and I have used loads of microfibre cloths when using it. The Showroom Shine is also a good lube for claying. Their Crystal Clear glass cleaner is excellent as well. I've never used the Autokit one but thoroughly recommend Greased Lightning -just don't use it on the windscreen or their microfibres as they are rubbish. I believe it works by placing a layer of carnuba wax around the dirt particles and the surface so that they can be removed easily but don't quote me on that!

County: Lancashire

Member car:

Audi A3

Hi all, I came across your thread on our waterless and thought I would give you some info on how it protects against scratching your paint.
There are a few things to consider when using Waterless Car Washes. The quality of the cloth is very important when using waterless washes. We recommend using a 300gsm microfiber cloth as a minimum and we provide 350gsm cloths with our products. Most products don’t specify their cloth GSM because they’re sending out thin 260-300gsm cloths.
The weather is another factor as most washes do evaporate quickly if sprayed on to a hot car panel or in hot weather. This can lead to the product drying and causing streaks if you do not remove them quickly.
Waterless car washes have various ingredients in them that do different jobs. The main ingredients are surfactants (soaps) and lubricants which soften and lift dirt away from the surface so they can be easily removed from the surface by the microfibre cloths. This is how they protect the paint from scratches.
Another important ingredient is the wax, some washes don’t contain a wax and are just a wash product but our wash contains a Carnauba Wax emulsion to shine and protection to the surface.
Some washes contain solvents like Kerosene which gives some washes (and your paintwork, cloths, hands etc) their ‘fuel like’ smell but ours doesn’t contain one.
Waterless car washes are ideal for light to medium soiling but if your vehicle hasn't been cleaned for months or is very dirty then a quick rinse off first is recommended as these types of products do have their limitations.

County: West Lothian
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autokit View Post
Hi all, I came across your thread on our waterless and thought I would give you some info on how it protects against scratching your paint.
There are a few things to consider when using Waterless Car Washes. The quality of the cloth is very important when using waterless washes. We recommend using a 300gsm microfiber cloth as a minimum and we provide 350gsm cloths with our products. Most products don’t specify their cloth GSM because they’re sending out thin 260-300gsm cloths.
The weather is another factor as most washes do evaporate quickly if sprayed on to a hot car panel or in hot weather. This can lead to the product drying and causing streaks if you do not remove them quickly.
Waterless car washes have various ingredients in them that do different jobs. The main ingredients are surfactants (soaps) and lubricants which soften and lift dirt away from the surface so they can be easily removed from the surface by the microfibre cloths. This is how they protect the paint from scratches.
Another important ingredient is the wax, some washes don’t contain a wax and are just a wash product but our wash contains a Carnauba Wax emulsion to shine and protection to the surface.
Some washes contain solvents like Kerosene which gives some washes (and your paintwork, cloths, hands etc) their ‘fuel like’ smell but ours doesn’t contain one.
Waterless car washes are ideal for light to medium soiling but if your vehicle hasn't been cleaned for months or is very dirty then a quick rinse off first is recommended as these types of products do have their limitations.
Thats a really good explanation,

is there any point in which the dirt is to hard to remove safely when it is only a light dusting but it is say rock dust from a quarry? Would your waterless wash still fully protect while wiping down?

Mud and road grime will obviously be softer than rock dust

If that makes any sence,
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
What about very small bits of metal or churches?

I'm going to try one of these.

County: Lancashire

Member car:

Audi A3

Autokit Waterless Car Wash

Hi rock dust and small particles of metal obviously they aren't broken down in the same way but are still lifted from the surface by the lubricants and soaps, the best way to think of it is like how slick 50 works in an engine, coating the particles in a lubricant reducing friction to enable them to be removed without dragging on the surface. Rock dust believe it or not will be easier to remove than softer dirt as it doesn't attach itself to the surface as mud and road salts do.
As we say and we can't stress this enough the cloths are a major part of the cleaning process which is often overlooked, they work hand in hand with Waterless washes to take the dirt away from the surface. If you were to use an old shirt the dirt would just be dragged across the surface as it has nowhere to go other than across the paint surface. when using microfibre cloths they do load with the dirt and require cleaning regularly how often depends on the level of dirt, I usually give them a quick rinse and wring out once or twice when cleaning my car.
Another tip with Microfibre cloths is when washing them use liquid detergent and don't use fabric softener as this clogs the cloths fibres and reduces its effectiveness.

Most metal particles which are mainly brake/rail dust and exhaust particles is usually sintered into the paint surface as it is very hot when it comes into contact with the paint this can only be removed by claying or a fallout remover like our Decon-X product.

Churches? not sure our Waterless wash would remove those

Last edited by Autokit; 04-10-14 at 18:41.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Well, bit of a convert here. I bought a waterless kit a few days ago. The car wasn't filthy, but it wasn't clean - and I was a bit disappointed that the recent wash, polish and wax seemed to have not lasted.

The spray was Aldi's own brand and cost me a fiver. I had a number of nice quality microfibre cloths available in the mancave.

I reckon it took 20 mins from start to finish, and I don't suppose I was being 100% careful - but I was very pleased indeed. A few days later and it's holding up well, with pretty impressive beading in the rain.

No pics, sorry. I'll do it again soon, and try and get some.

It was very easy to use. On my 2004 slightly baggy 156 there was no evidence of scratching - just a deep shine.

Pleased and impressed.
(Post Link) post #14 of 27 Old 17-10-14 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Well, bit of a convert here. I bought a waterless kit a few days ago. The car wasn't filthy, but it wasn't clean - and I was a bit disappointed that the recent wash, polish and wax seemed to have not lasted.

The spray was Aldi's own brand and cost me a fiver. I had a number of nice quality microfibre cloths available in the mancave.

I reckon it took 20 mins from start to finish, and I don't suppose I was being 100% careful - but I was very pleased indeed. A few days later and it's holding up well, with pretty impressive beading in the rain.

No pics, sorry. I'll do it again soon, and try and get some.

It was very easy to use. On my 2004 slightly baggy 156 there was no evidence of scratching - just a deep shine.

Pleased and impressed.

Hoping to try mine out today, so long as the weather holds out.

Very encouraging report Steve.
(Post Link) post #15 of 27 Old 18-10-14 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Well here are some pics of the results of the Autokit Wash, one " Before " and two " After ", one of which shows the " beading " after the overnight rain. Pretty impressed as the car was pretty dirty having collected half a farmers field from our wonderful Lincolnshire roads......

The one concern I have is about the quantity I used, about half a bottle, 250 mls or so. I half expected that the Spray trigger would produce a mist rather than the squirt that came out and so was unsure about how much I should put on and how to actually apply it.

Other than than that I'm pretty pleased with the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wcw1.jpg (254.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg wcw2.jpg (301.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg wcw3.jpg (242.6 KB, 16 views)

Have you seen the Lincolnshire Lounge ? Don't stay off the radar, come on in and have a look !

Next Event - TBA

Look Here ! - TBA

email: [email protected]

Old radar men never die - their echoes just fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law.
AO Member

County: -
Looking good there Nige, nice beading too. Always been a bit scyptical about 'waterless system' regarding scratches / swirls have you noticed any?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I didn't really see anything with mine. Done it twice now.

Mind, like I say, mine is 10 yrs old and full o scratches, so maybe not a great test.

Still shiny though.
(Post Link) post #18 of 27 Old 21-10-14 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCeeV6 View Post
Looking good there Nige, nice beading too. Always been a bit scyptical about 'waterless system' regarding scratches / swirls have you noticed any?
I was worried about creating scratches but seems fine on that score, no problems.

Looks like it will need a second go very soon, the roads here are covered in mud and after a 2 mile drive this morning the poor old thing is coated in crud - again.
AO Member

County: -
The joy of rural Lincolnshire Nige.
(Post Link) post #20 of 27 Old 23-10-14 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCeeV6 View Post
The joy of rural Lincolnshire Nige.
Very true, during the Winter I cringe in my seat when I hear the mud - and other, er, substances - splashing up the side of the car !
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Personally I wouldn't touch a waterless wash....
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Horses for courses.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommywho156 View Post
Personally I wouldn't touch a waterless wash....
I'm the same but it all depends on what you would call a clean car.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Precisely. mine is a ten year old hack.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Precisely. mine is a ten year old hack.
Mine's 7yrs old. At the start of the summer she had plenty of minor scratches and swirls due to the previous owner but I spent a whole weekend giving her a full 3-stage polish and the paint is now better than when she came from the factory.
She's also washed every week without fail. A waterless kit can claim all it wants but they're just not as safe as a proper foam followed by a two bucket wash.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
autokit , car , wash , waterless

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page