random orbiral sander - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 24-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Fife

Member car:

Brera sv 2.4

random orbiral sander

Hi all
I'm currently doing a bit of diy around the house and bought a random orbital sander from screwfix for £22,ive used the usual type(rectangular sheets)but this spins like my polisher except its got the random action and variable speed,the sanding pads attach by velcro and that got me thinking,if i buy the hook and loop polishing heads then it is in effect a DA polisher and for £22 got to be a bargain.
Going to wait till i've finished the diy then going to give it a try,on the wifes punto first of course.
Cheers
shug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Is it something like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-en...30-240v/49158#

If it is then there are a couple of things to be aware of. Firstly the speed, 6000 opm is roughly the maximum speed of a (car) DA and is the minimum speed of this machine. The orbit of this machine is 2mm whereas a DA is about 8 or 9 mm.
(Post Link) post #3 of 27 Old 24-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brera sv 2.4

Yea thats the one
Thought it was to good to be true,still worth a test on the wife's old punto though
Cheers
Shug
AO Platinum Member

6000rpm...

Use a veeery mild polish. Something like Autoglym SRP...

Move the sander/polisher about non-stop, as well as letting it randomly orbit... Don't dwell on any one section for too long.

Dampen the pad with water first, so it's got additional cooling..

Should/might be okay. I don't see why not..

Ralf S.
AO Member

County: hampshire
I just bought a dodo DA for £80 odd quid from ebay, feels well made and has a long heavy duty lead (quality bit of kit), pad size is 5" approx. £12 for 2x, bargain.
Just waiting for swirl remover and finishing pads to arrive then I will have a go at getting a deep swirl free finish.
I wouldn't bother with a orbital sander as it isn't designed for tackling delicate clear coat.
Im going to do the boot this weekend, to get a feel for it before tackling the whole car, black metallic.
im hoping for better results than hand finishing.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
If you're gonna try it (and I recommend you don't) then I suggest you head to a scrap yard and get your hands on a scrap panel and practice on that before you ruin your wife's car.
If you want a half decent polisher then I'd say you want a Das6 (any brand as they're all made by Kestrel and rebranded anyway). Get yourself some cutting and finishing pads and some Megs 105 and 205 and do the job properly.
(Post Link) post #7 of 27 Old 20-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brera sv 2.4

i already have a silverline orbital polisher ,it does a great job but it's heavy it's like a 9" grinder size.The sander can be stopped easily with my hand while the orbital can't it seems to have a kind of clutch mechanism.i've tried it in the wife's punto and it works perfect,wouldn't like to try it on it's highest speed setting but up to half way it's fine,like i say if you push it stops just let it spin under it's own weight and it does a good job.
Maybe as i'm a welder i'm more used to using power tools like grinders etc.and understand the do's and dont's,i wouldn't let my 17 yr old son loose with it as he's never used any type of power tool.
Cheers
Shug

County: West Lothian
Garage
Biggest thing i would recommend is you get a paint depth guage before you have a bash, once you go through thats it and no cheap way to going back, and then like tommy said get a spare pannel to have a bash at
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I have a similar sander and have been meaning to have a go for ages, just never get around to it. I saw a thread on detailing world where someone used something similar (after claying with blu-tac) and it came up great.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
I have a similar sander and have been meaning to have a go for ages, just never get around to it. I saw a thread on detailing world where someone used something similar (after claying with blu-tac) and it came up great.
He did what?!....
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommywho156 View Post
He did what?!....
don't knock it until you've tried it.

It's not absolutely as effective as the proper stuff but on cars that aren't heavily soiled it does the job. Plus I can nick it from work buck shee.
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside
Garage
My father-in-law use blu-tac for claying but takes it a step further with Windowleen as the lube!! He has a perfectly good DA but is so tight he won't buy new pads, compound or polish. His Yaris and Almera (tells you all you need to know really) are absolute sheds. I've told him that if I see him near any of my cars with blue-tac in his hand he'll end up choking on it.
AO Silver Member

Think I'll stick with Bilt & Hamber!
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Did I just read Blu Tac? Ahh yes I did........hahaha
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
don't knock it until you've tried it.

It's not absolutely as effective as the proper stuff but on cars that aren't heavily soiled it does the job. Plus I can nick it from work buck shee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris260309 View Post
Did I just read Blu Tac? Ahh yes I did........hahaha
and I wash all my cars with one bucket and a wash mit (up until a few years ago a common sponge). Never clayed yet in my life, never 'refinished' either. I do now swear by microfibre towels for drying as both synthetic and real leather's are sheite.
I like the car/s to be clean but spending a full day doing one has never appealed at all. We're all different of course and for some it is I understand therapeutic at the same time
AO Member

County: hampshire
Having a black car for the first time I decided to research how to look after it properly.
Bought a dodo juice DA for £80 and some anti swirl foam pads and some buffing pads etc.
Bought Meguiars swirl remover compound and megs ultimate wax paste.
Washed with megs ultimate wash & wax and that alone brought out a shine.
Clay clothed the body gently.
Did drivers side last Sat afternoon and with the DA all scratches and swirls gone, car is darker black and after waxing very shiny.
Did the other half this Sunday and spent less than 2 hrs and its like a showroom finish.
Just need to top up the wax every few weeks, easy and enjoyable compared to hand polishing.
Also removes swirls and minor scratches, by hand youd be there all day or longer.
Kit is worth the money, stuck all mine in a dewalt tough box to keep grit away.
Now looks darker than neighbours brand new bm estate, swop? not a chance.
* forgot, I used 2x buckets and a wash mitt not a sponge to wash.

Last edited by Bruce100; 09-12-14 at 19:57. Reason: Missed out some details
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce100 View Post
Having a black car for the first time I decided to research how to look after it properly.
Bought a dodo juice DA for £80 and some anti swirl foam pads and some buffing pads etc.
Bought Meguiars swirl remover compound and megs ultimate wax paste.
Washed with megs ultimate wash & wax and that alone brought out a shine.
Clay clothed the body gently.
Did drivers side last Sat afternoon and with the DA all scratches and swirls gone, car is darker black and after waxing very shiny.
Did the other half this Sunday and spent less than 2 hrs and its like a showroom finish.
Just need to top up the wax every few weeks, easy and enjoyable compared to hand polishing.
Also removes swirls and minor scratches, by hand youd be there all day or longer.
Kit is worth the money, stuck all mine in a dewalt tough box to keep grit away.
Now looks darker than neighbours brand new bm estate, swop? not a chance.
* forgot, I used 2x buckets and a wash mitt not a sponge to wash.
Depending on what wax you used you shouldn't really need to apply more every few weeks.
I'd highly recommend using a product like Autobrite Direct Project 32 as a quick detailer after each wash. It's a gloss enhancer with sealant properties and is ideal for giving your chosen wax a top up.
Unless you used a liquid wax, in which case throw it away and buy a hard wax such as Autoglym HD Wax or Soft99 Fusso (my current favourite).

Have a look on www.ioclean.co.uk or www.nipponshine.com
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
and I wash all my cars with one bucket and a wash mit (up until a few years ago a common sponge). Never clayed yet in my life, never 'refinished' either. I do now swear by microfibre towels for drying as both synthetic and real leather's are sheite.
I like the car/s to be clean but spending a full day doing one has never appealed at all. We're all different of course and for some it is I understand therapeutic at the same time
I'm with you Malc. Microfibres cloths are excellent. Clean it and get on with life.

You spend all that time detailing a car and it either rains or a bird sheits on it.

Each to their own.
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post

Pretty much the same Malc except I still use a leather and use demon shine after , makes it looks the dogz.

I've parked next to a mates after he's spent all day spoodling with DA polishers,waxing and sealing and mine looked just as good .
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEL View Post
Pretty much the same Malc except I still use a leather and use demon shine after , makes it looks the dogz.

I've parked next to a mates after he's spent all day spoodling with DA polishers,waxing and sealing and mine looked just as good .
Demon shine
AO Gold Member

Member car:

alph a ramayo

I love it , beads up really good too .
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
I'm with you Malc. Microfibres cloths are excellent. Clean it and get on with life.

You spend all that time detailing a car and it either rains or a bird sheits on it.

Each to their own.

Quote:

Must try this Demon shine.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

alph a ramayo

I just spray it on whilst the cars still a bit wet then use a drying towel as if drying then buff with a dry cloth. All done within an hour
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
I just spray it on whilst the cars still a bit wet then use a drying towel as if drying then buff with a dry cloth. All done within an hour
Oh I like the sound of that
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

I've used Demon Shine for a number of years, bought a five litre jug, you water it down so it will last years. A 50p squirt bottle from poundland and your away.

I found that after about half a dozen applications the beading/shine is there even if you miss using it a couple of times. I.e. Just giving the car a quick rinse.

Lazy mans polish, love it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
orbiral , random , sander

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page