Dirty again, what now? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

LukeyC

Dirty again, what now?

Hey everyone,

So a few weeks ago I tried my hand at "detailing" my Alfa - nothing crazy, I just washed it (two bucket method), dried, clay bar'd, polished it and then waxed it.

I didn't want to spend a load of money so I used the following products (all from Halfords
Cheapo alloy wheel cleaner spray
Farcela G3 Body prep shampoo (with wash mit not sponge)
Chamiox dried being careful not to scratch paintwork.
Turtle Wax Clay bar kit (clay bar + turtle wax spray)
T-cut "red" polish
Farcela G3 Resin Superwax

I was really happy with the results, but alas its now come time to clean it again.

Given that it's had all the above applied, do I just need to do a basic wash with the G3 shampoo and then dry it? or something else?

Apologies if this has been covered - have tried search tool.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Just wash it with the shampoo. You could use a QD if you wish but I would suggest using a drying towel or some MF cloths to help dry the car rather than a chamois leather
AO Member

County: Rutland

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

I used a drying towel for the first time this weekend and it's brilliant, takes about 2 mins to dry the whole car.

Hot wheels wheel cleaner £5 from wilkos is safe and works well. Simoniz do a wet apply wax which is really good too, I pick some up from Tescos when it was on offer. Demon Shine is a good drying aid/ quick detailer.

The supermarkets and wilkos are a lot cheaper than halfords if you can catch the offers...
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
I would probably reapply the wax monthly during the winter months depending on how hard lasting it is.
Other than that wash using a decent shampoo and towel dry, I use demon shine spray on stuff if I want to get a quick shine every now and then, find it gives a duller shine than a decent polish and wax though.
LukeyC

Excellent, thanks for the advice chaps that's just what I needed.

AO Member

County: Kent
"Dirty again, what now".
Sell it and buy a clean one
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Don't use the T-cut it's too abrasive unless the paintwork is ****e. It shouldn't be necessary to polish more than a couple of times per year provided you wax every time you wash. Autoglym Aqua wax (or AG Express Wax in bulk) is good for this and not dear.
AO Silver Member

Always make sure your shampoo is ph friendly or it'll strip off your lovely wax protection
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Demon Shine is brilliant.
LukeyC

Thanks everyone for the input. Will get some different shampoo as reading the bottle it is designed to strip away all the wax etc ready for a full clean / polish etc.

Obviously I don't want to be doing that everytime!

AO Detailing Car Of The Year Winner 2015

County: West Midlands
Have you thought about pre-soaking using a snow foam before you wash? This will loosen up the dirt, meaning you can be more gentle with your wash mitt therefore taking off less wax.
chas379

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewrot View Post
"Dirty again, what now".
Sell it and buy a clean one

chas379

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazGJ View Post
Have you thought about pre-soaking using a snow foam before you wash? This will loosen up the dirt, meaning you can be more gentle with your wash mitt therefore taking off less wax.

Are there any do's and don'ts using snow foam. I have found at times after using foamthe end result shows a lot of water marks on the paintwork which were very hard to ged rid of

AO Detailing Car Of The Year Winner 2015

County: West Midlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas379 View Post
Are there any do's and don'ts using snow foam. I have found at times after using foamthe end result shows a lot of water marks on the paintwork which were very hard to ged rid of
It's only a pre-wash step. You should leave it to soak for 5 mins (no longer) and then completely rinse off, followed by a normal hand wash. Provided you properly dry you shouldn't get water marks.

For any watermarks that do remain use a clay bar.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
If your intending keeping your car clean with regular maintenance then you don't really need to snow foam, the good quality waxes will ensure nothing is sticking to your paint work. If your just going to wash monthly then snow foam could be for you, but again make sure it's ph friendly.
LukeyC

Thanks everyone. In the end I bought some auto gym shampoo that is pH neutral, and says it is designed to be used after a car jus been waxed. I then used a drying towel (great advice lowejackson) and then reapplied the G3 resin superwax. Finally, cleaned up the glass and added some rainX to all but the windscreen. Very happy with the results, thanks everyone for your input.

I'm planning on washing it once a fortnight, and will probably clay bar / polish twice a year.

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeyC View Post
Thanks everyone. In the end I bought some auto gym shampoo that is pH neutral, and says it is designed to be used after a car jus been waxed. I then used a drying towel (great advice lowejackson) and then reapplied the G3 resin superwax. Finally, cleaned up the glass and added some rainX to all but the windscreen. Very happy with the results, thanks everyone for your input.

I'm planning on washing it once a fortnight, and will probably clay bar / polish twice a year.
That's a good routine to have and you probably won't need too snow foam with the products you've used the grime should just run off
chas379

Quote:
It's only a pre-wash step. You should leave it to soak for 5 mins (no longer) and then completely rinse off, followed by a normal hand wash. Provided you properly dry you shouldn't get water marks.

For any watermarks that do remain use a clay bar.
Thanks, I'm now using a waffle weave towel to dry off so hopefully it'll be ok.

AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Autoglym Aqua Wax for the coming months.

It's an all in one solution.. Paint, trim, glass and repels water into a nice bead for run off.

For waxing brilliance... Collinite #845 lasts 3+ months.
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

GT JTS

Collinite 476S lasts well too.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ3074 View Post

It's an all in one solution.. Paint, trim, glass and repels water into a nice bead for run off.

Not AG Aqua Wax get AG Express Wax in bulk. Exactly the same stuff but a quarter of the price. It's brilliant stuff (as is Aqua Wax)
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ3074 View Post

I bought some Collinite when I had a Fiat Coupe, still had it and used it today on my spider - its great stuff
AO Member

County: -
Based on reports and many positive comments have just ordered some Collinite 845 for use on the car family and the new G when she gets here in October. Gone with getting some Nanolex wheel and iron x cleaner too, hope it's as good as the videos and recommendations say.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
For a deep clean on mine I do the following (roughly every 3-6 months depending on the time of year)

Rinse.
Snow foam using AD Magifoam through a foam lance.
Clean the wheels using AD Purple Rain iron fallout remover.
Rinse
Wash using Autoglym conditioner shampoo. Two bucket method with grit guards and either a lambs wool or microfiber mit.
Rinse.
Clay using Bilt & Hamber medium clay.
Rinse.
Dry using AD Reaper towel (seriously awesome drying towel).
Coat of Autoglym SRP.
Coat of Poor Boys Black Hole.
Coat of Autoglym HSG.
Coat of Soft99 Fusso wax.
Dress the tyres and trim using AD Berry Blast Endurance.

For a weekly wash I..

Rinse.
Snow foam.
Clean wheels.
Rinse.
Wash.
Rinse.
Dry.
Give the car a once over with either Dodo Juice QD or AD Cherry Glaze.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCeeV6 View Post
Based on reports and many positive comments have just ordered some Collinite 845 for use on the car family and the new G when she gets here in October. Gone with getting some Nanolex wheel and iron x cleaner too, hope it's as good as the videos and recommendations say.
Collinite is great, I've used it a lot over the years but I've recently discovered Soft99 Fusso wax beats it hands down for shine and endurance. It's relatively new to the UK, from Japan, but once the word gets out I'm sure it'll be very popular.

Have a look on Nippon Shine, ,

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
dirty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page