Polishing out scratches - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 03-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Alfa 156

Polishing out scratches

Keep looking at the paintwork and it keeps getting me wound up!!! I know my car is 10 years old, but she can look better than she does I'm sure, but what's my options? I've never used t cut in my life, does it really work? Someone also mentioned to me g3 whatever that is?

I've only got one little scuff on the bumper, and perhaps a couple of proper scratches, other than that it's just age related surface marks, she looks ok but I was wondering what can be done to bring the best out of what I have without obviously re spraying the car!!

Suggestions very welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
There is so much choice out there it's trial and error.. The most important think is finding something your happy using and happy with results..

What i will recommend is FK1000P paint sealant for after you have polished.. If you keep on top of things its much easier to keep clean.

Get over to detailing world and check out some reviews, if you haven't already. Oh and keep an eye on your wallet!!
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 03-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Alfa 156

Mmm I might try and find someone to do it for me? Someone that knows what there doing?
AO Platinum Member

If you can afford it. then it's worth getting the beast professionally polished. They'll use a pukka paint polishing machine and make sure they don't overdo it, to get as many swirls and scratches out as is possible. It'll be easier then for you to stay on top of it.

On the other hand.. for the same money you could invest in a Meguiars G220 dual-action polishing machine, a polishing pad and some polish (e.g. Poorboys SSR2) and have a go at it yourself. It's quite fun (takes *hours* ) and it's pretty difficult to balls it up completely.

You can usually find second-hand kit on eBay and videos how to use a G220 on Youtube.

Before you polish, make sure you thoroughly wash and then clay the car (try Meguiars clay bar kit from Halfords) to remove all the surface contaminants.

After polishing, you need to wax it. Any wax is better than no wax.. but I like Poorboys Natty Blue wax if you want a starter recommendation (everyone has a different preference).

I wouldn't use T-Cut except to remove individual scratches. It's very abrasive (If SSR2 is "2" then T-Cut is about "3") You want to use the mildest polish that will do the job... there's even an SSR1 for a very mild polish.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Several options

Firstly, hand polishing. Can be quite effective and is cheap. Bloody hard work and will never match the finish of a machine polish.

Get a pro. A skilled professional should be able to get the paint back into really good shape. A full polish will not be that cheap but you are paying for a lot of time.

DIY machine polishing. For somewhere around £150 - £200 you should be able to buy all the equipment required to do the work yourself. Results can be really impressive and it is not as difficult as some think. This option is not for everyone although if you are tempted there are many resources out there

Another option is to use a glaze to hide some of the minor swirls. Cheap option which can increase the gloss of the paint. Glazes tend not to be durable so will require application every few months or so. Glaze can be used after hand polishing to give a good finish. Again, will not equal machine polish so it really comes down to which route you fancy

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
polishing , scratches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page