How to maintain rosso paintwork. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 28-07-14 Thread Starter

County: Greater London

Member car:

alfa 166

How to maintain rosso paintwork.

Just a quick bit of advice needed. As I have no garage and where I park gets the sun all day, whats the best way to stop my red paintwork going pink. My guess is just leaving it unwashed and polished is the worst, but are there any polishes or treatments that will inhibit colour fade of red. Any advice would be helpful,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

156 Sport 2005

wax i'd have thought

[email protected]
AO Member

County: New South Wales
so the red paint goes pink?
I have a small area on the top of the door frame.

Anything to turn pink to red?

County: Cork
Garage
Check out the Detailing Lounge https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-detailing/
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
1. Use loads of high quality wax.
2. Get a car cover
A6
AO Silver Member

County: Worcestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreenzebra View Post
1. Use loads of high quality wax.
2. Get a car cover

Spot on
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

i'd do your normal cleaning routine, then apply this Products - Serious Performance
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
i'd do your normal cleaning routine, then apply this Products - Serious Performance

+1 this stuff is brilliant, thin layers as possible, i usually do 3
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

A wax or sealant should offer good protection for the paint. If the main concern is for UV protection there are various products eg Zaino which contain UV filters. Another option is to consider a coating but there are very fussy about application although in return they will protect the paint better than a wax/sealant and will last considerable longer.

I use Optimum Car Wax which is a spray wax and contains UV A+B filters and requires very little effort to apply, buffing is optional. This spray wax also has the rather clever trick where over time the UV filters will penetrate the paint. The downside is the product is not highly durable eg a couple of months.

Whatever product you use will be better than no product
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
Just did a bit of searching and came across this thread as I was wondering the same thing.

More specifically tho, I've been told that AutoGlym's 'Lifeshine' system can help to retain the red colour and to stop it going pink over time. I know reds have a reputation of turning pink but my 156 has more dulled to a darker red over the years, rather than turning pink.

Turning my attention now to a newer red Alfa, I'm more curious to know whether this product in particular can actually help retain the original colour, or would I better off using a different product (as mentioned above) for that reason. I'm sure the Lifeshine will protect against dirt & bird s**t like any other wax but I don't want to go spending 200 on a paint / glass / upholstery protections system when my main concern I just to retain the original colour if there is a tendency to fade.

Any ideas?
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GTV

the rosso red paint they used on the GTV and 156's and 166 was really prone to color fade. There will be a technical reason why and I think the red paint on the newer alfas is less prone to fade.

The paint on the plastic portions of the car was for some reason a lot more vulnerable.

I dont really know if like using a UV wax would have made enough of a difference over time. My gut feeling was it might have helped a bit but I suspect if you had you rosso red 166 out in tthe baking sun a lot that even with a good Wax with UV protection on it, over time I suspect your gonna get fading.

My best advice would be try and park in the shade. As well as try a UV protector wax like the other chap suggested.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
"the rosso red paint "
Rosso is red .
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
I will refer you to my answer earlier

1. use lots of wax
2. Get a car cover

If the sun doesn't get on the car (2) then it won't fade / go pink or purple. If some sun gets to the car then make sure it has some protection (1) whilst exposed.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LISAJTD View Post
+1 this stuff is brilliant, thin layers as possible, i usually do 3
How often would you apply this, does it replace say waxing your car or can you wax it after it has been apllied? Not straight away but say a month or two down the line would you continue to wax your car as normal? I currently use Mer and find it very good,

Thanks for any advice
AO Member

County: Buskerud

Member car:

95 2.0TS GTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by duemila View Post
How often would you apply this, does it replace say waxing your car or can you wax it after it has been apllied? Not straight away but say a month or two down the line would you continue to wax your car as normal? I currently use Mer and find it very good,

Thanks for any advice
Any sort of paint protection will bead, when this stops and the water lays flat on the panel its about time to apply a new coat of wax/sealant etc.

Theres a ton of different waxes and sealants out there, most of them will contain solvents that will eat up previous layers, so unless the manufacturer specifies that the product can be layered theres usually no use in applying several layers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img17181280x853.jpg (109.0 KB, 8 views)
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Quote:
Originally Posted by duemila View Post

Thanks for any advice
If you like the look of the FK1000P then it is a really good paste wax. No need to add anything over it. Should last many months. Their QD is really nice and would help the durability and gloss although the Serious Performance QD is very good value for money.

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Alfa GT

A little tip a valeter told me,
1) get a really good shampoo and wash it twice.
2) leather dry.
3) towel dry.
4) use a fine cutting compound (t-cut etc etc) with plenty of water, very little pressure is needed.
5) leave to haze, then apply a good quality polish (auto glym or mer) to polish off the cutting compound.
6) only do a panel a time, don't be tempted to rush it, don't do in direct sunlight or if the body work is hot to touch.
7) once you've done the whole car, go round polishing off any left over residue polish.
8) always make sure you use a good quality wash/wax shampoo to wash the car, then I use devil shine spray polish (it'll only take 20mins to polish your whole car) after every other wash to keep your motor sparkling.
9) you'll only need to repeat this twice a year

Other tips,
Use stockingnette cloth to apply and remove polish.
Use micro fibre cloths for buffing
If you drop your sponge or cloths DO NOT USE THEM AGAIN, as no matter how well you think you've cleaned them, they'll still have some fine grit in them.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbmalfa View Post
A little tip a valeter told me,
1) get a really good shampoo and wash it twice.
2) leather dry.
3) towel dry.
4) use a fine cutting compound (t-cut etc etc) with plenty of water, very little pressure is needed.
5) leave to haze, then apply a good quality polish (auto glym or mer) to polish off the cutting compound.
6) only do a panel a time, don't be tempted to rush it, don't do in direct sunlight or if the body work is hot to touch.
7) once you've done the whole car, go round polishing off any left over residue polish.
8) always make sure you use a good quality wash/wax shampoo to wash the car, then I use devil shine spray polish (it'll only take 20mins to polish your whole car) after every other wash to keep your motor sparkling.
9) you'll only need to repeat this twice a year

Other tips,
Use stockingnette cloth to apply and remove polish.
Use micro fibre cloths for buffing
If you drop your sponge or cloths DO NOT USE THEM AGAIN, as no matter how well you think you've cleaned them, they'll still have some fine grit in them.
I'm gonna sound like a complete snob, but I really don't care.
If a valeter told me that I wouldn't hire him (or her). The only good advice is with regards to using microfibre cloths and not re-using your equipment if you drop it!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
maintain , paintwork , rosso

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page