Snow Foaming Help for a Beginner - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 16-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV Cup No. 74

Snow Foaming Help for a Beginner

So having bought a well priced foam lance from

Snow Foam Lance – Directhoses

and some Bilt Hamber Foam from

Bilt-Hamber Auto-Foam | Buy Auto-Foam Pre-Wash Cleaner Online | BH-AF

I set about trying this out for the first time last night attached to an old basic K series Karcher (probably the smallest one available).

The lance instructions said to put about 1 inch of solution into the lance container. This produced a watery foam and was 'used up' quite quickly (albeit enough to cover my GTV all over).

This worked to clean the majority of the dusty residue off of the car quite well but the foam did not cling as I have seen in most youtube clips.

Are there any tips for calculating how much solution should be used and where to set the dial on the top of the lance? I suspect these variables need to be tweaked to give me clingy foam.

I have assumed that the dial screwed all the way down allows no solution to be mixed and that the more you unscrew the more solution it allows to be mixed?

If there is anyone out there that has trodden the path of trial and error who could help me out I would appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

1 inch of solution then top up to 3/4 full with warm water. I turn the dial on top all the way clockwise then a half-turn back.

I think all the way anti-clockwise gives the weakest solution.

Not used BH foam, only Chemical Guys stuff which foams really well and clings for about 15-20 mins. Also try not to do it on a warm car or the foam will disappear quite quickly.
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 16-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV Cup No. 74

Bezste - cheers - will try with warm water and those dial settings and see what happens. With two other cars in the house the trial and error won't go to waste!
A6
AO Silver Member

County: Worcestershire
I was finding my old Karcher was struggling to produce a thick lather with my Autobrite lance where snow foam would not cling and was very watery. Turned out jetwash was on last legs. Replaced with brand new K5 and it's better than ever.
(Post Link) post #5 of 15 Old 18-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV Cup No. 74

Cheers A6 - this is old and bottom of the range so it may well be that. Want to hold off buying a new one if I can though as this one is just perfect in terms of size for storage.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
I've got the exact same lance attachment as you connected to my Karcher which also the smallest one they do ( about 80 from B&Q ) I use Auto Finesse Avalanche snow foam but put a good 2" in the bottle with a squirt of Chemical Guys Maxi Suds shampoo with warm water. I get a good clingy foam but I've found it helps to shake the wand/lance while applying.
The YouTube clips I think are a bit misleading because they use high power professional pressure lances with different filters in them to create the ultimate snow, Not quite what you and I have at home for washing the flags occasional and the cars on a weekend lol
A6
AO Silver Member

As I said my Autobrite lance and Karcher K5 jetwash using Magifoam Snowfoam produces and really thick lather that lasts for ages.

Not much relevance I know but this was using my old Karcher and after 30mins dwell time

AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by A6 View Post
As I said my Autobrite lance and Karcher K5 jetwash using Magifoam Snowfoam produces and really thick lather that lasts for ages.

Not much relevance I know but this was using my old Karcher and after 30mins dwell time

Wow that's a good grab especially off its been on for half an hour, I think I'll give that product a try
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Brera 3.2 OEM+

What does the foam look like? This is my foam lance in action:

Instagram

Instagram

Instagram
A6
AO Silver Member

Looks right, how long does it cling for on the paintwork?
(Post Link) post #11 of 15 Old 22-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV Cup No. 74

A6 - where did you get your K5 from and how much was it (if that's not being too brash)? Karcheroutlet have refurbs for pre-order at less than 200 which seemed quite a good price if you don't need all the various attachments the kits come with.

Pressure WashersK5 Pressure WashersKarcher K5 Refurbished Pressure Washer :: Karcher Outlet

Morris26039 - I'll give shaking the lance up as I work a try too. Going to try it on my slowmotion tonight (which is far dirtier) so assume it will cling better to the dirt anyway!
A6
AO Silver Member

I got mine off Amazon and it was just over 300, I think it was in offer or cheap for some reason.
(Post Link) post #13 of 15 Old 22-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV Cup No. 74

A6 - groovy, may treat myself to a refurb or a K4. I didn't have the beans to try it out tonight after footy so will tease myself with the prospect of buying a new one in the meantime.
(Post Link) post #14 of 15 Old 27-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV Cup No. 74

I tried this again at the weekend and used about 2" of Bilt Hamber and topped up with warm water. Half a turn back on the knob from being full wound in clockwise and it gave pretty good results - certainly enough foam to cover two cars (twice). Didn't cling for long but long enough - 7-8 minutes or so. Having said that I think that is because of the G-techniq sealant that may have been used by the previous owner when he had it detailed last year.

Thanks to all for the tips.
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 28-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV Cup No. 74

The Karcher K5 kit is on lightning deal at amazon right now (expires at 3pm I think or until fully subscribed) at 259.99 - expensive but over 100 saving compared to most places

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
beginner , bilt , foaming , karcher , snow , snowfoam or lance

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page