Problem with the paint finish on my Mito - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 03-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Vale of Glamorgan
Hmmm Problem with the paint finish on my Mito

Hi there, good morning.

I've recently bought a 2010 1.4 Mito for my partner, just a week ago, and yesterday I noticed something that I didn't before when I actually bought the car.
The paint looks fine, but a couple of areas on the car feel a bit rough to the touch while the rest are quite smooth. I've hand washed the car myself but this didn't help a bit, so I'd assume it's not road dirt or dust and instead the car got repaired/repainted some time in the past and they didn't do too good of a job...

I can always go back to the place I bought it and ask them to get it sorted, but in the case that they say the car was sold as is, is there anything I can do to fix this issue myself? I've read here about something people call "claying", no idea how to do that and I will prefer paying someone professional to do it on the car if that's going to help at all...

Many thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Recent Alfa's have been notorious for 'soft' paint. It may well be as you suggest that perhaps a poor repair has been done. A cheap fix may not have had a clear coat put on top the paint which might make it seem rough to the touch. I would try to gently polish the rough surface with polish such as Autoglym and see if that improves it. If you get any paint colour on the cloth then you will know that there is no clear coat.
Good luck.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Claying is very easy especially with the new clay mitts eg Halfords | Farecla G3 Body Prep Clay Mitt although there are more expensive options. Here is a quick video showing just how easy it is Farecla G3 Clay Mitt Further Use - YouTube

The roughness of the paint could be from any number of things from a repair to it has not been properly cleaned in a long time.
(Post Link) post #4 of 10 Old 03-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Many thanks for the prompt answers.

I don't mind spending time cleaning the car myself, I actually enjoy doing it, but anything more complicated that involves the possibility of damaging the paint or leaving a bad result I rather have it done by someone else who knows what he's doing.
I think I have some Autoglym product bottles laying around somewhere, one of them is paint restoration and scratch fix or something like that, I'll have a look later and give it a go this weekend, first on a small area, to see if that helps and the paint gets in the cloth or not, hopefully not...

Thanks again
A6
AO Silver Member

County: Worcestershire
My first thoughts are that it sounds like a smart repair area. So be careful what you apply to this area just in case.

A light mop with a DA will help remove some of the roughness and bring back the shine.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

I would try using a clay before polishing, it is far less aggressive and claying is normally done prior to polishing.
AO Platinum Member

My guess is less apocalyptic..

I'd guess the car was "valeted" before sale (or earlier) and they probably polished it as a matter of course.. but missed the areas that now feel rough.

I'd go with claying the areas first, since it's likely to be just roughness caused by dried on tree sap at this time of year. If claying doesn't solve it, then get some abrasion on it .. mild cutting polish like "Colour Magic" to see if that makes things better.

If it's been repaired... you WILL be able to see a difference if you get your face right on it. Colour, consistency, "depth" of the finish will be different.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 03-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ok, I'll wait for the weekend and with a bit of sun I'll take a proper and close look to the paint to check if any differences in colour, depth and such, but what's a DA? and a smart repair area?
Thanks again for all your help
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
DA is 'dual action', a Smart repair is a guy with a mobile franchise who does 'on the spot' spray work for light scuffs and dings etc.
(Post Link) post #10 of 10 Old 03-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ok, understood, thanks for the info

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
finish , mito , paint , problem

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page