protective shield covering - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 03-07-14 Thread Starter
Status: everyone else givehugs ,the welsh givecwtches
AO Silver Member
 
alfa 4 ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Neath Port Talbot
Posts: 5,783
protective shield covering

i am considering putting a shield covering on the front of my spider to cut down on the stone chips ,i have had prices from £1.350 to £650 to do this ,has any one done this to their alfa and if you have are you happy with it
alfa 4 ever is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
A6
Status: What's that noise now!
AO Silver Member
 
A6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Worcestershire
Posts: 1,914
I looked in to this when I had my red 159 Ti and found it was cheaper just to get the front end resprayed a couple of times. Which is exactly what I did. That way you don't end up with the horrible lines of the shield wraps and them going yellow over time.

When the odd chip appears I used the Chipex kit to hide them.
A6 is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 03-07-14 Thread Starter
Status: everyone else givehugs ,the welsh givecwtches
AO Silver Member
 
alfa 4 ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Neath Port Talbot
Posts: 5,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by A6 View Post
I looked in to this when I had my red 159 Ti and found it was cheaper just to get the front end resprayed a couple of times. Which is exactly what I did. That way you don't end up with the horrible lines of the shield wraps and them going yellow over time.

When the odd chip appears I used the Chipex kit to hide them.
alfa 4 ever is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
AnthonyJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Dorset
Posts: 2,110
I think that maybe on your car it's a good idea as I'm sure that to get a bodyshop to match 8C red could be difficult. The 'nicotine' yellow discolouration only seems to notice on white cars so I shouldn't worry about that too much.
AnthonyJohn is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 03-07-14 Thread Starter
Status: everyone else givehugs ,the welsh givecwtches
AO Silver Member
 
alfa 4 ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Neath Port Talbot
Posts: 5,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohn View Post
I think that maybe on your car it's a good idea as I'm sure that to get a bodyshop to match 8C red could be difficult. The 'nicotine' yellow discolouration only seems to notice on white cars so I shouldn't worry about that too much.
that is what i was thinking
alfa 4 ever is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Flintshire
Posts: 759
I had it on my 8C red Giulietta but I have to say it wasn't worth the money.
Worst of all, it chips!
It also starts to come away as dirt gets underneath it.
The fit even by an expert will always have dust under it, some bubbling, misalignment and stretching.
Waste of time.
ALBERINO is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 03-07-14 Thread Starter
Status: everyone else givehugs ,the welsh givecwtches
AO Silver Member
 
alfa 4 ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Neath Port Talbot
Posts: 5,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBERINO View Post
I had it on my 8C red Giulietta but I have to say it wasn't worth the money.
Worst of all, it chips!
It also starts to come away as dirt gets underneath it.
The fit even by an expert will always have dust under it, some bubbling, misalignment and stretching.
Waste of time.
thanks for that ,out of interest who did it for you
alfa 4 ever is offline  
Status: Polished Up
AO Silver Member
 
Morris260309's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 3,713
So you don't use them !!!
Morris260309 is offline  
Status: Now just the 147..
AO Silver Member
 
lovelyred159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: United Kingdom
County: Somerset
Posts: 1,960

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

I used these: 3M VentureShield Paint Protection Film (PPF)- Autocare Centre Bikes & Cars. 3M VentureShield Top of rear bumper protection film. For around £500 I got a bonnet, front valance, nose and wing bra (clear) and the tailgate edge protected too. The other option is a 3m Spray for around £30 with varying success according to reviews. The ventureshield has a couple of chips but a lot less than if left unprotected.
lovelyred159 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Almo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cornwall
Posts: 623
Has anyone had this done recently? I have read a few bits about it and seems the technology has come on a lot....
Almo is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
covering , protective , shield

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome