I have no idea...Im new to this milark!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 07-04-14 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Aberdeenshire
Posts: 62

Member car:

159 2.4 TI

I have no idea...Im new to this milark!!

Right folks am sure you have heard this on here many times....

I love having a gleaming car. Always washed.. hoovered etc but thats about it.

My car is getting used as the wedding car for my brothers wedding in a few months time so wanting to make it look like it came out the showroom.

Willing to splash out on a proper buffer machine and quality products. But unsure on what buffer and products to get??

If some of you fine gentlemen can enlighten me on whats what i would appreciate alot!!

Thanks guys!!
brebner89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cumbria
Posts: 988

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

A polisher can work wonders if you wish do go down that route. You can still get great results by trying to hide any minor marks.

Have a look at these threads, most are quite old but the processes are still valid Newbie Nuggets - Detailing World
lowejackson is offline  
Status: everyone else givehugs ,the welsh givecwtches
AO Silver Member
 
alfa 4 ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Neath Port Talbot
Posts: 5,783
an easy and quick way to get it to look really nice is to use auto glym hd polish
alfa 4 ever is offline  
Status: Living the dream
Newbie
 
mpjg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Lothian
Posts: 755
Garage
Machine buffers can work wonders in the right hands, i would always suggest practice before having a bash at the real thing.

Buffers tend to be slightly a personal choice to a certian degree, i have achieved some great results with a dodo juice spin doctor and other people have said its not that good. For pads and polishes i go for chemical guys hex logic range for te pads and have a variation of polishes, menzerna polishes are really good and easy to work with.

For the route of hiding the imperfections i would tend to go for black hole by poorboys and then seal in with a wax to make it last that bit longer. But i will only hide up to a certian degree of imperfections before the only option is to get them cut out.
mpjg is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 07-04-14 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Aberdeenshire
Posts: 62

Member car:

159 2.4 TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejackson View Post
A polisher can work wonders if you wish do go down that route. You can still get great results by trying to hide any minor marks.

Have a look at these threads, most are quite old but the processes are still valid Newbie Nuggets - Detailing World
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa 4 ever View Post
an easy and quick way to get it to look really nice is to use auto glym hd polish
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjg View Post
Machine buffers can work wonders in the right hands, i would always suggest practice before having a bash at the real thing.

Buffers tend to be slightly a personal choice to a certian degree, i have achieved some great results with a dodo juice spin doctor and other people have said its not that good. For pads and polishes i go for chemical guys hex logic range for te pads and have a variation of polishes, menzerna polishes are really good and easy to work with.

For the route of hiding the imperfections i would tend to go for black hole by poorboys and then seal in with a wax to make it last that bit longer. But i will only hide up to a certian degree of imperfections before the only option is to get them cut out.
Thanks very much guys for the pointers.
I saw the dodo juice ones on Ebay. Not to bad a price. I will practice first before i tackle my pride and joy.
The Missus car is a good guinea pig. (She may wonder why am cleaning her car mind.)
i have a double handled polisher at the minute but i feel it covers to wide a area and not doing the desired effect. Smaller surface are would be better. Try not to burn the pait offcourse.

Asd the car hasnt been done in my ownership there are a few swirl marks etc so fingers crossed they get removed.

Cheers guys.
Anymore pointers please post them up. Thanks.
brebner89 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cumbria
Posts: 988

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

One of those two handed machines is not really going to have the power to polish up the paint. If you really like the idea of a rotary then buy one but make sure you fully understand the strengths and weaknesses of this type of machine. If you have not polished before then maybe a random orbital buffer such as DAS-6 PRO Dual Action Polisher - Clean Your Car can be bought for £99 (Group Buy on Detailing World). I would suggest something like the DAS6-Pro is a much safer option but would be slower work than a rotary although the DAS6 is almost 'pick up and start polishing', this cannot be said for any rotary
lowejackson is offline  
Status: Living the dream
Newbie
 
mpjg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Lothian
Posts: 755
Garage
If you go onto detailing world and go into there detailing guides section theres really good guides in there. Only read the rotary one but was very in depth
mpjg is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Lincolnshire
Posts: 743

Member car:

GT 1.9jtd

if you buy a clay bar the car before polishing you will see far superior results than just polishing alone
bembo449 is offline  
Status: The Rosso twins are here!
AO Silver Member
 
edraven71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Tyne and Wear
Posts: 3,842
Garage
+1 with Lowe there, I got a DAS6 (not the pro the DAS6 can be had for around £60-£70) and it is a good machine.

I also use the hexlogic pads and Chemical guys compounds and find them easy to use, but again that is a matter of choice.

I would also recommend having a look on Youtube for a guy called Junkman2000, he does some great walkthrough's on using a dual action polisher, some are a bit drawn out but there is some great info on there and it is all aimed at the novice user.
edraven71 is offline  
(Post Link) post #10 of 11 Old 08-04-14 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Aberdeenshire
Posts: 62

Member car:

159 2.4 TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejackson View Post
One of those two handed machines is not really going to have the power to polish up the paint. If you really like the idea of a rotary then buy one but make sure you fully understand the strengths and weaknesses of this type of machine. If you have not polished before then maybe a random orbital buffer such as DAS-6 PRO Dual Action Polisher - Clean Your Car can be bought for £99 (Group Buy on Detailing World). I would suggest something like the DAS6-Pro is a much safer option but would be slower work than a rotary although the DAS6 is almost 'pick up and start polishing', this cannot be said for any rotary
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjg View Post
If you go onto detailing world and go into there detailing guides section theres really good guides in there. Only read the rotary one but was very in depth
Quote:
Originally Posted by bembo449 View Post
if you buy a clay bar the car before polishing you will see far superior results than just polishing alone
Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
+1 with Lowe there, I got a DAS6 (not the pro the DAS6 can be had for around £60-£70) and it is a good machine.

I also use the hexlogic pads and Chemical guys compounds and find them easy to use, but again that is a matter of choice.

I would also recommend having a look on Youtube for a guy called Junkman2000, he does some great walkthrough's on using a dual action polisher, some are a bit drawn out but there is some great info on there and it is all aimed at the novice user.
Excellent. Thanks guys. I will go and see what a can get my grubby hands on.
I am will ing to spalsh ou ton the right tools for the job as it is something i will use alot when i get upto it.

Thanks again.
brebner89 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cumbria
Posts: 988

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Lots of advice on using a polisher but here is one I really like

Part 1 - How to remove swirls, scratches and water spots using a Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher - YouTube

The video talks about a Porter Cable machine, ignore this, we have different brands over here which will do exactly the same thing eg DAS6-Pro
lowejackson is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
ideaim , milark

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome