Using mainly Poorboys products - a bit of advice please? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 06-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Using mainly Poorboys products - a bit of advice please?

Hi All

I've recently just got back into the ol' detailing lark. The last time I did it was approx 6 months ago so it was well and truly needed. This is what I did:

Clay using Meguirs quick clay kit
AG shampoo
SSR1
Blackhole
Ex
Natty Blue

After doing a bit of research on claying I thought I'd give it a go. It wasn't as bad as I thought but I don't think it quite gave me the results I was after. Never mind......
I was very impressed with the Poorboys products though.

I only used one coat of each. My question is, how often should I do this type of wash and what should I do for 'inbetween' washes?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: West Lothian
Garage
Thumbs Up

For my personal car i do that about every 4 months ( thats because i am wierd though) excluding the clay. I do that once a year just before its full summer detail. some waxes last alot longer than that though so you can leave it on longer before you strip and re apply. Also how long a wax lasts can be affected by so many factors like weather, use prep.

For inbetween washes i use a ph neutral snow foam and shampoo that doesnt leave any protection behind so it doesnt add a layer on top of the nice wax.

Poorboys products are good stuff, black hole doesnt last long in terms of protection but your sealing it in with 2 lsp layers so should last a fair bit. Black hole does create one hell of a depth though.

This was black hole sealed in with some rubbish boys juiced edition. Actually went on to win both its classes in the concours event it was going in for so Deffenetly a winning combo for me
Attachment 308145

Hope this helps a wee bit

Last edited by mpjg; 02-01-15 at 13:23.
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 06-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Wowzers that does look very good. Impressive
Thank you for your reply.

I was thinking of using black hole once every 2 weeks then do the full routine every 6 weeks minus the clay. The A shampoo I use is a ph neutral. But what could I do just once a week to maintain the look?

Garage
Putting black hole on top of your wax? You could do that and it will give it a nice freshlly waxed look ( which it techinaly will be) but what you will find it that with a good wash routine you will mantain the look until the wax has done its job and starts to fail.

You could do the full lot every six weeks if you wished but you would get away with it for a bit longer than that. If its natty thats the last lsp on then i have seen that last anything upto 5 months before needing stripped off and a fresh wax coat applied.

Is it autoglym bodywork shampoo conditioner your using? That is ph neutral as you say so it wont strip your wax but I know that that specific shampoo leaves a coating of its own on the paintwork. This isnt a bad thing and may people dont really bother about it, just means that the water behaviour of the shampoos coating probably wont be as good as the wax gives. This layer will eventually wear off and the wax will come through and show its version of sheeting and beading.

As for a weekly routine i would just snow foam ( if you have a snow foam or a pre wash) , rinse off, snow foam again but this time using a soft brus to get into the little gaps, wash the alloys and tyres, then move onto the body work using your choosen shampoo. The only thing i really apply is a tyre dressing.

What colour of gt is it you have?

Hope that helps, might have got a bit carried away with my reply, sorry about that
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidB88 View Post
....After doing a bit of research on claying I thought I'd give it a go. It wasn't as bad as I thought but I don't think it quite gave me the results I was after. .....
What was disappointing about the Megs clay?
(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 06-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for your detailed response.

Yes it's the Autoglym bodywork shampoo. My GT is black, an absolute swine to keep clean but once it's done it's look awesome.

I don't have snow foam, I just usually use the two bucket method and then dry. I will see what it looks like on my next wash and decide whether to put any more product on. I know a lot of it is personal preference end of the day, I just didn't want to spend hours on it every time.
Thanks again mate
(Post Link) post #7 of 12 Old 06-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejackson View Post
What was disappointing about the Megs clay?
It didn't give me the WOW factor I was expecting but then again I don't really know what I was expecting. I know it did it's job in getting rid of the dirty contaminants because the clay was covered in crap and the paint felt smoother. I did sort of rush it though and I'm quite hard to please. But once I'd finished claying, polishing and waxing I stood back to admire but I just wasn't bowled over. Just hard to please I suppose, after all it took me 6 hours in total.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Claying will rarely make a huge difference on its own but in conjunction with all the other steps it is really worth the effort. Don't forget to clay the windows

Garage
Thats no problem at all, glad i could be of aome help
AO Member

County: Flintshire
I used poorboys once

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBERINO View Post
I used poorboys once
How did you find using them?
AO Member

County: Flintshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjg View Post
How did you find using them?
I deliberately left the comma out before the once, couldn't help myself.
I used it because everyone raved about it but I was very disappointed, I just couldn't see what it had done. I still have the rest of the bottle rotting in my garage.

I now use Zaino Z2Pro with AutoSmart Wax which contains carnauba.
The sealant makes the car which is white, very white and gives a gloss finish, I add the carnauba to give depth and warmth to the colour.

They are both very simple to apply.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
advice , bit , poorboys , products

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page