new to cleaning and protecting - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 58 Old 13-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire
new to cleaning and protecting

I posted a bit on this in the giulietta thread but realised I should be posting here. I want too clean my giulietta and protect it as its the first real time I've had to after getting it late last year after winter.

I'm thinking about the following products and steps and need some feedback on what's good what's bad or not needed before I get all these (budget is 80):
Okay so here's my list of products I was thinking:

1. Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash and Conditioner - for an initial wash
Meguiars Luxurious Lambs Wool Wash Mitt - to apply the wash above
2. WD40 which I already have - To remove the tar using the mit above
3. Bilt Hamber Auto Clay Original Block (200g) use with a water spray to get rid of anything missed in the processes above.
Kent KS800 800 Gram Cotton Stockinette - To apply the below products
4. Meguiar's Deep Crystal Step 1 Paint Cleaner - Use with stockinettes for a final prep before applying the polish and wax.
5. Autoglym 1L Super Resin Polish - Polish layer.
6. Meguiar's Deep Crystal Step 3 Carnauba Wax - The final wax layer.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Queensland
Wow, you've certainly listed all the good stuff! I would also recommend that you use a large bucket with a grit-guard and have a second bucket of clean water to rinse your wash mitt as you go.
Haven't tried the Meguairs Gold Class Car Wash but it should be good. I have also had good results from Autoglym body wash. Have fun
AO Member

County: Cornwall
A good car wash such as Gold Class or Autoglym is essential.
I gave my 1.4MA TCT a birthday spring clean last weekend.
I was considering paint clean and resin polish but wasn't keen forking out to get
an electric polisher to do the job properly. Too tight I guess!
I went for a stop gap action of trying Amour All Shield.
I have to say I was very impressed with the ease of application and the deep gloss.
Need to see how it lasts and found its best to do small areas and buff off before it dries.
AO Member

Sounds like a good list,not sure about using the mitt for the WD40 though,best to use different cloths etc for different parts of the job. +1 for using 2 buckets.
Also try a proper clay lube instead of just water -something like Car Chem lube,not very dear and helps keep clay cleaner.
(Post Link) post #5 of 58 Old 13-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaSun View Post
Wow, you've certainly listed all the good stuff! I would also recommend that you use a large bucket with a grit-guard and have a second bucket of clean water to rinse your wash mitt as you go.
Haven't tried the Meguairs Gold Class Car Wash but it should be good. I have also had good results from Autoglym body wash. Have fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by davest View Post
A good car wash such as Gold Class or Autoglym is essential.
I gave my 1.4MA TCT a birthday spring clean last weekend.
I was considering paint clean and resin polish but wasn't keen forking out to get
an electric polisher to do the job properly. Too tight I guess!
I went for a stop gap action of trying Amour All Shield.
I have to say I was very impressed with the ease of application and the deep gloss.
Need to see how it lasts and found its best to do small areas and buff off before it dries.
This certainly is a lot for me too spend and isn't usual but I got 100 of Amazon vouchers from work and have 70 left so I thought 80 was a healthy budget to treat myself by treating the car. So an electric polisher or 50 polishes will not be on the list and I'll have to use good old elbow grease.

Glad to know I'm on the right track and not wasting money and time on something it doesn't need and these are good products to use.

I've noticed that Halfords a re doing 2 for 1's on most all of there care care stuff and have most of these products which comes in cheaper.

I might swap the stockinette's from amazon and get this microfibre mitt to go with my lambs wool mitt and use one for more of the cleaning side and the other for the polish/wax side (probably the lamb wool for cleaning as I read they are the best for removing dirt). I've also added two heavy duty buckets as I should use the two bucket method and not a large sauce pan .
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Couple of things jump out for me. Firstly, I would get a dedicated tar remover (much quicker and easier) but if you really want to use WD40 to remove the tar I would not use the very expensive wash mitt for that job. I would buy some foam pads to apply the Megs paint cleaner (step 1), SRP etc and get some MF cloths to remove the residue. A stockinett is not really an effective product. If you are going to use the Megs wax (step 3) then you probably will not gain very much by adding another wax. If you are after an easy to buy and cheap product to use with the SRP then it might be worth getting the Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. A small bottle is about 10 and will last a very long time and can negate the need for another wax

If the budget is tight then drop the Megs (step 1) if you are going to use SRP. This is because SRP has some cleaning abilities

As it is always very easy to spend other peoples money I would say you will also need a wheel cleaner and ideally a wheel sealant, some iron remover, glass cleaner, glass sealant, All Purpose Cleaner (really give some consideration for one of these), trim dressing, tyre dressing and a range of stuff for the interior.

One area which has not been discussed is polishing (abrasion). SRP will hide some swirls but another option would be to remove or at least reduce the level of swirls

There will be thousands of alternative combinations and products to choose from including Bilt Hamber, Serious Performance (great value for money), Optimum (my favorite), CarPro, etc etc
AO Member

County: Surrey
whatever advice you follow, you'll have one clean and shiny car after using that lot!

The Megs step 1 - depends on the condition of your paint as to whether you'll need that step, only you can make that decision. I used some Megs clay and their own detailer spray (came as a pack with a big microfibre cloth, also from amazon) and the clay will also get rid of small tar spots.

Maybe you'll get a better price and all the "right" gear if you buy a complete kit?

The Megs liquid wax you mentioned is dead easy to use and smells nice :-), but looks a tad expensive on amazon at the moment (10 for 473ml)?

they do lots of kits, just type in "meguiars kit" in amazon - a lot of what you listed in in one box.

have fun!
(Post Link) post #8 of 58 Old 13-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejackson View Post
*snip*
I've replaced the stockinette with a cheaper microfibre mitt than the lambs wool for the polishing parts & I have some microfibre cloths already which I should have mentioned. I also have some tyre wall cleaner, alloy foam cleaner & sealer internal cloth shampoo & conditioner, dash cleaner and a window cleaner from an old kit I got with my previous car and never used that much.

I'm kinda over my budget now as I've added two buckets but if you recommend dropping the step one paint cleaner I could get an all purpose cleaner but at what point and where would you use that?

I want the car to be clean and protected but I'm not a fanatical perfectionist so I'm sure the resin polish & wax layer will be enough for my eyes I don't think I need a second polish I want to put a protective layer on twice a year is my focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikBl View Post
*snip*
I've found I can get 3 for 2 at halfords which makes all of these less expensive and easier to digest so I'm going to get the Gold Shampoo/conditioner, Carnauba Wax, Resin Polish, 2 buckets and another Microfibre Mitt from Halfords using this offer and use the amazon vouchers on something else. And I think I will drop the stage 1 paint cleaner if the shampoo/conditioner, clay and polish are enough steps that I won't need it.

The thing is with the kits are that I am aiming to not have to buy alot of this stuff often so I've tried to get good stuff but in a decent size quantity that they should last 4 good cleans which I'll only be doing twice a year (before winter and after winter) and then use just things like shampoo/Conditioner with the power wash to clean it when needed in between. So the kits don't quite have the quantities I'm looking at for the prices.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

If durability is important to you I would get the SRP & EGP. The EGP should last 4-6 months and works perfectly with SRP. A small bottle of EGP should do an average sized car many many times and so should last you a few years.

An All Purpose Cleaner (AIO) as the name suggests is designed to clean most things, ideal for cleaning interior plastic before using a dressing, hard to reach areas such as grills, carpets etc

You can also buy external trim protectors which are very durable products, for example Gtech C4 https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-d...er-review.html.

An alternative to all of this stuff would be to consider getting a coating. This is a bit like a wax or sealant except they are highly durable products. They can be fussy in application but all will last over 12 months, some much longer. They are not for everyone so I offer them as something you might be interested in
(Post Link) post #10 of 58 Old 13-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the information. Sorry I know I'm new to this and I've understood most abbreviations but I can't figure out what EGP stands for except maybe its another polish?
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Sorry, I should not use so many acronyms. Super Resin Polish (SRP) is an All In One product, this means it has some cleaning, abrasive and filling abilities. The cleaning bit er cleans, the abrasion part removes a tiny amount of the paint to reduce any swirls, and the fillers hide some of the swirls. These products are nice and simple to use. Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection is a synthetic sealant which protects the SRP and the paint. A sealant is rather like a wax but where a wax is mostly made from natural products, a sealant is made from synthetic products. Generally speaking a sealant can be more durable than a wax.

Generally a polish is an abrasive product and can range from very harsh to very mild, the abrasives in SRP are very very mild. Polishes can have different meanings but generally when people talk about polishing they are talking about removing small amount of paint. This is not as horrible or aggressive as it sounds but it is not something you would do everyday to your paint
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Extra Gloss Protection from Autoglym . It stinks but it's good at bonding to the paint and protecting it, hence the name !
I use it after the Autoglym resin or Meguirs partly because it's really shiny and provides a bit of protection from birds in the trees where I park .
(Post Link) post #13 of 58 Old 14-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Sorry, I should not use so many acronyms. Super Resin Polish (SRP) is an All In One product, this means it has some cleaning, abrasive and filling abilities. The cleaning bit er cleans, the abrasion part removes a tiny amount of the paint to reduce any swirls, and the fillers hide some of the swirls. These products are nice and simple to use. Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection is a synthetic sealant which protects the SRP and the paint. A sealant is rather like a wax but where a wax is mostly made from natural products, a sealant is made from synthetic products. Generally speaking a sealant can be more durable than a wax.

Generally a polish is an abrasive product and can range from very harsh to very mild, the abrasives in SRP are very very mild. Polishes can have different meanings but generally when people talk about polishing they are talking about removing small amount of paint. This is not as horrible or aggressive as it sounds but it is not something you would do everyday to your paint
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Extra Gloss Protection from Autoglym . It stinks but it's good at bonding to the paint and protecting it, hence the name !
I use it after the Autoglym resin or Meguirs partly because it's really shiny and provides a bit of protection from birds in the trees where I park .
Thanks lowejackson for the explanation, I appreciate it and I understand it now

Thanks Cue too I think I'll add the Autoglym Extra Gloss protection to my list and post an upto date list to make sure I have everything I need, Thanks
(Post Link) post #14 of 58 Old 14-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the feedback so far, so It looks like I'm getting and doing the following:

1. Quick Power wash
2. With 1 bucket and the Lambs Wool Mitt add the Gold Shampoo/Conditioner and wash the car, then clean the mitt with water in the second bucket.
3. Use WD40 with a microfibre cloth on the tar splattered areas.
4. Give it another quick power wash.
5. Use the Clay bar with some lubrication.
6. Apply and polish off the Super Resin Polish with the some microfibre cloths. Should the car be wet or dry for this bit?
7. Then seal it with Autoglym Extra Gloss, using more microfibre cloths, but buff it out with the Microfibre Mitt.
8. Then the final wax to add shine and give it an extra Wax layer, the Meguiar's Deep Crystal Carnauba Car Wax I might use the Microfibre mitt again for applying and buffing for this as all the dirt should have been removed before using the mitt so it should be clean enough.

And hopefully that should do it and will probably take about 4 hours lol, what do you think? is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Last edited by Chobbito; 14-03-14 at 19:52.

County: Cork
Garage
The Microfibre mitt should be used for washing not applying/buffing polish/wax etc.
(Post Link) post #16 of 58 Old 14-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
The Microfibre mitt should be used for washing not applying/buffing polish/wax etc.
Oh I thought it was just a microfibre cloth that you can put your hand in? I told you I was new

What should I use for applying/buffing polish/wax? as I'm not getting an electric buffer sadly.

County: Cork
Garage
Something like this to apply Buy Meguiar's Even Coat Applicator Pads from Meguiar's UK

Other products are available
(Post Link) post #18 of 58 Old 14-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Something like this to apply Buy Meguiar's Even Coat Applicator Pads from Meguiar's UK

Other products are available
Would it be okay to get rid of the microfibre mitt to just stick with the lambs wool for the cleaning? and would just one of these applicator pads be okay to use for the polish and both wax's?

I think I need some guidance on what to use to apply and buff each stage, I'll definitely be getting the Lambs Wool mitt and I have 10 microfibre cloths, if I get the applicator pad will that be all I would need?
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Unless your going for a show stopping finish, then all you probably need is a good drying towel on top of what you have.

Rinse the car off well with a hose to start.

Use the Lambswool mitt as mentioned with 2 buckets to wash the car, one with soapy water one with clean water, clean the mitt in the clean water before dipping into the soapy water to wash the car.
This gets rid of most grit and dirt on the mitt before you apply it to the car so saving creating swirls.

Then rinse the car off with a hose.

Then you could use a decent drying towel, this is to dry the car off before applying the wax/sealant of your choice, the Meguiars water magnet is a good towel if your leaning towards their products and Halfrauds sell them, so could get one on a 3 for 2 deal with anything else you need.

Then once it's all dry use the applicator pads to apply the relevant wax/sealant that you choose, do this one or two panels at a time, then use the microfibres to buff it to give the final finish.

Ideally you should use a separate applicator pad for each product, but as you are working on a budget (and the pads come in packs of 2) use one side of one pad for one product and the other for the second, mixing them slightly isn't going to peel your paint off or anything, just try and keep the products to one side.

Once you get started you can gradually build up the kit you have available to use and add to it gradually as you go, but dont get too hung up on having everything you are advised to use to start as you will be spending 100's and get bogged down by all the alternatives.

But once you start down this path I bet you will be back looking for more advice on what you can try next anyway, it's addictive.
(Post Link) post #20 of 58 Old 16-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
*snip*
Thanks there is a lot of clear instructions there which will help me, I went to Halfords yesterday and got the stuff I could from there but didn't get the applicators or drying towel as I wasn't sure at that point, but seems as I'm not doing this job till next weekend as I'm waiting on the Amazon stuff too arrive too I might get a drying towel and applicator from halfods and use the 3 for 2 too get a free applicator.

Also I work with ecommerce websites and kinda know how promotions work and where their logics can be exploited slightly, so I can tell you (if your interested and PM me) how to get more money off this 3 for 2 Halfords offer. For example out of the 6 items I bought I should have have got 2x3.99 buckets as my free items as they were the cheapest items. However I managed to get the 9.99 carnauba wax as a free item saving me much more and making it worth it.

Stops them being such a Halfrauds as you called them lol

But your probably right this is only the beginning and i'll be back with more queries and wanting more stuff. Probably as my last car a red 08 Clio was supposed to be protected with long life paint treatments when I got it so I didn't do anything but quick hose downs really and its paint looked so faded and scratched in only a few years and I want too look after this one.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

One reason for using a dedicated cloth for the removal of SRP and EGP is the cloth will become coated with these products. One thing you can do to save buffing the SRP is to let it cure for an hour or so and then apply the EGP without buffing the SRP first. The key with EGP is a thin layer. Imagine the EGP costs 100 a bottle, thin is good, loads of product is not

You can get cheap MF cloths from most supermarkets, they are not great but will do a decent job. Throw them in the washing machine when used.

SRP & EGP will work best with bone dry paint. If you fancy doing something different, both SRP and EGP can be layered
(Post Link) post #22 of 58 Old 17-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
*snip*
Thanks for the info, all the stuff purchased now.

What I will do is:

Power wash
2 bucket method clean with Shampoo & Lamb Wool Mitt
Power wash
WD40 with microfleece clean tar
Power Wash
Clay bar
Dry with drying towel
Apply SRP with applicators (I got 6) and leave for an hour
Apply Extreme Gloss with applicator (Thin layer) and buff with microfibre cloths (1st wax layer)
Apply Carnauba with applicator (Thin layer) and buff with microfibre cloth (2nd wax layer)
.....and then breath

Does that sound like the right method? I'll probably have the one polish layer then the two wax layers. Then I will do this whole process in September/October before winter.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Looks good to me. The longer you leave EGP the better, it is fully cured when it just wipes off, if any rubbing is required, give it a little longer.

There might not be an effective bonding with the SRP over the silicones from the WD40 but it might be completely fine so just keep an eye out for how the SRP/EGP performs over the coming weeks
(Post Link) post #24 of 58 Old 17-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

What I might do is apply epg to one panel, go on too the. Next panel and when finished go back and wipe the original panel. And repeat, is that enough time to leave between application.

Thanks
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

I would leave it longer, one test is you can easily remove the EGP with a MF cloth without any real pressure or if you swipe your finger across the paint does the sealant come off quickly. On a cold day the EGP will take longer although at the risk of pointing out the obvious, very few products like to be used on hot panels in direct sunshine

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
cleaning , protecting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page