Touch up silver paint 159 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 28-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Touch up silver paint 159

Hi AO!
First post here but long time lurker.
Recently picked up some touch up paint for my silver 159, had the local shop mix up some 565/a which is the paint code and was provided in a pressure pack (not the best choice), but only bought it to patch up a few scratches here and there along the front bumper and back.

Sprayed a few light coats over about 4 or 5 small areas of the car, the front turned out ok however the touch up is more noticeable and has a rougher feel to it on the back. There's no runs, blotches or very obvious areas and through the eyes of others and at most angles the touch up spray can't be noticed, but i still know where it is and it will bother me just having an uneven feel around the car.

I've been told that a cut and polish will help flatten it out and restore the original look after the touch up paint, however i've never done it before and don't want to waste cash on crappy amatuer clay/cut&polish kits or risk destroying the paint. I'm thinking of paying a pro to cut and polish it, but want to know if it's necessary.

What are my options here? Thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Unless you prepped the area first you are spraying on top the the clear coat so the dry paint that you feel will seem rough as it should be covered by the laquer. You need to wet and dry the area first and then paint and finally clear coat it.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 28-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohn View Post
Unless you prepped the area first you are spraying on top the the clear coat so the dry paint that you feel will seem rough as it should be covered by the laquer. You need to wet and dry the area first and then paint and finally clear coat it.
Thanx for the quick reply. I Used high grit sandpaper to lightly sand the scratched areas before i did the touch up. The finish is flat, not very noticeable from most angles, however isnt quite perfect either and you can tell if you look close particularly on the boot. I didnt use any undercoat, clear coat or lacquer since they were just small areas.

Polished the areas with Meguiars quick detailer and a microfiber cloth many times after the touch up.
Do you think a properly done cut and polish will help blend it in better?
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Cannot comment on the paint bit but Megs quick detailer will not have any abrasive qualities at all. It is a good product but probably useless in this situation
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 28-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejackson View Post
Cannot comment on the paint bit but Megs quick detailer will not have any abrasive qualities at all. It is a good product but probably useless in this situation
I dont believe it needs anything abrasive or any more sanding. The touched up areas are smooth and flat, it just doesnt have that softer feel and mirror like reflection the rest of the car has. Do i need to throw some lacquer on, a clear coat or just wax?

Edit: popped on some clear coat, it shines better than before but can't really get it to shine like it use to. What's missing here?

Last edited by Jess159; 01-03-14 at 05:40.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

I am probably way out of my depth here so I would suggest asking on the painting section of Detailing World, they have some painters and those with vastly more experience than I have who should be able to give some expert advice.

I have only used small amount of paint on my cars and each time I followed by wetsanding and then polishing. My understanding is there is a limit to what can be fixed without decent tools but I have no idea when this crossover occurs

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
159 , paint , silver , touch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page