Warning plasti dip paint. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 09-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Looky Looky Warning plasti dip paint.

Hi.Just wanted to share my experience with Plasti dip paint.
I had resprayed my sideskirts on my 156 gta so thought I would purchase a can of gunmetal grey plastidip paint. Which I did through ebay. I degreased and masked off the area but when I sprayed onto my sideskirt, it shrank back or contracted so the paint would not cover the area.
I put 3 coats on but each time the same thing happened, shrank back.So part of it was dark grey and some of it was the original silver showing through.It looked ridiculous! So few days later I tryed to peel off. This is when the fun started!!!! Small bits would peel off but not enough at one time.In the end I had to get a sander to it!!
When I eventually got the rubber off, it left a stucky residue behind so I had to sand all the paint down and start again to my dismay.
I think it was too cold (5 degrees outside ) although nothing mentioned about minimum temp on instructions.
This has caused me a whole load of grief! In effect ive had to spray my sideskirt twice!
Guy on ebay was great as he refunded my money for paint but obviously my time, effort and extra cost of repainting it was frustrating to say the least! !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140127_104845.jpg (110.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20140127_104850.jpg (127.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20140127_104411.jpg (95.5 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Midlands
Seems very odd, plasti dip is generally pretty good stuff for jobs and very very easy to remove provided you have a thick enough coat, too thin and its a pain in the backside.

I am eventually going to give my wheels a go in it as they are corroding. Really they need a refurb but as I will upgrade them to some nicer 17in alfa alloys once the tires are used up a cheaper fix is called for, currently I have the basic 15in ones that are way to small for the car imo.

Was it a crap imitation version perhaps? There are a few variances of plasti dip in each market
Durty dog

Sounds like it was to cold, most paints like a higher temperature.

AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
maybe you didnt get rid of all the degreaser and it reacted? Ive done similar with normal rattle cans and it has done something similar, I wiped off and started again

County: West Lothian
Garage
One of my friends plasti dipped a bonnet bra on ( horrible i know) and his was okay, but thanks for sharing :thumb: shows that its not 100% safe
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 14-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
I have got the sideskirt in primer at the moment. When I have finished paint and lacquer, I will post some pictures :-)
I was gona test on an alloy but got carried away!
Oh well, live and learn.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
dip , paint , plasti , warning

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page