Windscreen Smearing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 23-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Windscreen Smearing

Hi,
looking for a bit of advice, currently my windscreen is smearing like it has grease on or something, the wipers are less than 6months old.
I've tried using a stronger detergent on the glass and blades, but to no avail, then a bit of a clay bar. Any advice on getting rid, makes driving in the current weather conditions a bit of a pain.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
For a proper clean I'd take a look at this, I did it and it is amazing how clean the screen is after...and not as scary as it might seem!
Windscreen Repair, Polishing kit - Wiper Blade damage and light scratches remover - YouTube

A kit with 100ml of cerium oxide polish, 3" pads and a 3" backing disc is about £20.

After 2 full polishes I'd say I've used no more than a third of the 100ml of polish. I changed the felt pad for drivers/passenger side each time so 4 pads in total. You could get away with 2 in total I think.

FWIW my drill ran at 2800 rpm - a little faster than recommended, but it was no problem.

I used an old autoglym fast glass spray bottle to spray water on screen as necessary
AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Use autoglym glass cleaner
Durty dog

Autoglym glass polish is also good, helps the water bead and run off quicker.

AO Platinum Member

Hmm... I tried Autoglym and whilst it is nice and creamy and feels like you're pampering your glass more than the regular "glass cleaners".... it doesn't really have any "cut" to it.

It's more like glorified Windolene (the old-style purple stuff, rather than the colourless liquid spray they do these days)... though it is nice to use and comes off smear and dust free.. (but then you'd hope so, at that price).

You have something on the glass that's contaminating it. If Claying didn't work and you can't wait to try the cerium oxide polish, then root around in the garage for the old bottle of T-Cut that you will certainly have in there somewhere.

Give the glass a T-Cut .. buff it off... and then use the creamy Autoglym glass polish to remove any residue of petroleum distillates. Don't clay over the T-Cut (clay and petroleum distillates don't really mix).

Your glass will then be super clean and your wipers ought to glide silently over it..

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
smearing , windscreen

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page