nano coating - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 30-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Zürich

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

nano coating

having switched from GT to Giulietta, I realized the windows hold on more rain drops than GT, making visibility a problem. it might be that the second hand GT I had had some coating on the windows or its aerodynamics was more likely to blow away water from the windows.
the side mirrors and side windows are especially the problem, as they don't have any wipers

before considering to get the windows 'nano-coated' expensively, i want to check out some products that could be applied (lotus effect and such, like RainAway). I have seen some youtube videos, but would like to get advice from the Alfaowner people. Anyone recommend some nice glass cleaner that is hydrophobic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Greater London
I also have a Giuli and have owned a GT in the past. Can't say as I've noticed that particular issue. I use Rain-X on my windows, but to be brutally honest, I don't think it makes a lot of difference, although it obviously lasts a little longer on the side windows.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

There is quite a range of products to buy for glass these days plus there are several advantages to using a glass sealant. Firstly, safer driving, with heavy rain on a motorway you have a better view as the water will glide off the glass. Secondly, they make it easier to remove snow and ice and thirdly, they make it easier to keep the glass clean.

Some sealants are good at town speed driving but use of wiper blades can wear away the coating whereas the ones with better resistance to wiper blades will tend to work at higher speeds. Obviously, the shape of the car and windscreen will also have a big influence.

RainX does appear to be a bit of a 'love it or hate it' product. I could not cope with the wiper smear which obscured the glass for a second or two plus its durability was not great
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gtechniq-Cle...words=Gtechniq

i use this and have been really happy with it.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

The Gtrchniq products seem highly thought of. I experienced exactly the same frustration years ago with smearing using RainX so stopped using it. TBH there is nothing like a really clean windscreen and good wiper blades.
(Post Link) post #6 of 13 Old 01-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Zürich

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

thanks, all... i definitely need to change wipers, too. after cleaning the ice from the windshield, on highway, a few wipes just froze smeared stuff all over the window, which is not the best when combined with the headlights from opposite direction, ending driving partially blind at over 100 kph.

a new set of bosch blades, and some good window cleaning stuff should help. just didn't want to end up buying something that has 'nano' written all over it, but just not effective at all.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

147 1.6 T.S

G-techniq is very good,but very important is to clean the glass before sealant applied( h2o spot's,road film...).
G4 is very good for cleaning and then you can use G1 or G5.
Durty dog

How long does the sealant last for, will de-icer remove it?

AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Im pretty sure AG car glass polish is hydrophobic, it also helps to prevent misting.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Yes, it's really good but be careful not to get it on window rubbers or interior trim as it's a devil to get off
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR dog View Post
How long does the sealant last for, will de-icer remove it?
Varies depending on which sealant. With the Gtech G1 I usually got around 9-10 months, for some it lasted longer. Aquapell AKA ducksback (Halfords) would last around 6 months. I have just put some CarPro FlyBy30 on my glass but I have no idea about durability.

A de-icer would not remove something like G1 and I would guess it would not remove the others

County: Virginia

Member car:

BWM

A special patented technology whereby the glass panels are treated inside a custom build treatment chamber using CVD (Chemical Va pour Deposition) technology the glasses undergo a two part process that takes about two hours, receiving two layers of hydrophobic nano coating that is stable and durable. Here are just some of the properties the glass achieves from this process
AO Platinum Member

I use T-Cut.. Glass picks up ****e the same as the paint does.. so an occasional T-Cut or "clay" will get the glas super-whizzo smooth. Then apply the glass cleaner of your choice (usually regular Mr Muscle household glass cleaner does for me.. ).

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
coating , nano

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page