lacquer question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 18-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

alfa gt 2.0 jts

lacquer question

So guys, I wanted my bumper resprayed because its been through a war with stone chips and my sills looking at as the previous owner did some slight jacking damage on the front.

He asked about whether I would want extra lacquer on the front wings, around the arches and stuff and putting a protective coat on the arches to stop them from stone chipping and then getting rusty.

Is the lacquer stuff necessary? Would they need to get rid of the current lacquer and then apply a new coat on the wings or would they apply a new coat over the current and then would it need blending it or something, as it'll look really shiny otherwise?

I know absolutely nothing about body work and just getting quotes from different body shops

I am confused ha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GT 3.2

Lacquer (clearcoat) only will not require blending as it's transparent. So a proper buff/polish will make the job invisible. And if he is asking about lacquer only they will not remove the old paint before.

Necessary? Nah, that's down to taste and budget. If your wings are in good shape and you can spare the cash, then why not put on the extra protection to keep them that way. If they are looking crap with stonechips and dents I'd have them do a proper job (with dent removal, body filler, primer,base, and lacquer rather than lacquer only) if budget allows, and if not, save up until I could afford the proper version.

Please keep in mind that it's very hard to get a 100% color match, so the more you get done at once, the more will be the same color. My car is currently at least 4 different nuances of nero metallico from equally many repairs, but it took me 2 years of ownership before I discovered the first 3 nuances, the 4th repairjob I did myself so was very aware of where and what to look at.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 19-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

alfa gt 2.0 jts

Well he has quoted the extra lacquer job as £100 for both wings, there are stone chips on them but not as bad as the bumper. Bumper looks like its been through a world war ! lol I have been using chipex to touch up little bits here and there.

I have read that lacquer can peel? It can also make those areas much shiner than the rest of the car.

He has offered to do a full buff and polish for £100 on the whole car

Thanks for the advice, as I have no idea!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
lacquer , question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page