Foam Buffing Pads - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 18-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

156 2.0 TS

Foam Buffing Pads

Hi,

My car could do with a real thorough detail session.

I have a silverline 7" car polisher that I've only used once due to the woolen bonnet ripping after first use.

I've seen some foam buffing pads instead... how do these work compared to the woolen ones? I'm not at all familiar with foam are they good?

If I go ahead and get a set, there are the well known Meguiars, and lesser known Monza copies. Is Monza a good brand to go with?

Meguiars Foam Buffing Pads - Clean Your Car - Meguiars

Zymol Flexipads Ultimate 7\" Complete Pad Set from Monza Car Care - a set of virtually identical "Monza" ones.

Which shall I go for?

On a side note, check out what I got up to yesterday

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0708.jpg (85.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0709.jpg (90.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0710.jpg (106.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0711.jpg (201.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0712.jpg (122.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0713.jpg (39.8 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

The Meguiars pads are perfectly fine, my guess is the Monza pads are Flexipads. Absolutely nothing wrong with Flexipads.

Wool is one of the most aggressive ways of polishing paint, foam pads are ranged from cutting to finishing (hard to soft). After wool I would always use foam pads to bring back the shine. 7" pads are great for large flat panels especially popular is the USA, 5"-5.5" pads are probably more common here in Europe.
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 18-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS

Ah okay cheers

So do you think I'd be better off with a 5/5.5" head on my silverline?? I guess it could be easier to use..
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

I think smaller pads are much easier to work with, you (may) need a smaller backing plate. If you have not seen this, it is worth reading Machine Polishing by Rotary Polisher - Full Guide - Detailing World
(Post Link) post #5 of 16 Old 19-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS

What a detailed guide! Most of it went over my head but theres some really good info in there.

As a starter, I was going to get this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271222069319

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181192000090

Not harsh on the pocket at under £30 for the lot. And if I get good at it then I can fine tune the set? Any advice for a "starter kit" or anything else I should consider?

Thanks for the help!
Durty dog

I brought a set of G3 foam pads today, 1 smooth and 1 medium, I will be using the smooth tomorrow for a detailing session. Not sure what I can use the medium for as it feels quite harsh.

(Post Link) post #7 of 16 Old 20-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS

the gist I got was you can perhaps use the medium with a very finite polish? Let the pad do the work and the polish just works as lubrication? Of course... I could be talking total rubbish!
AO Member

I had mine detailed and sealed on Saturday by a mate of mine in Tamworth, the difference is unreal and he said there is no need to polish it for 3 years. Cost me £150 quid so not bad really.
Durty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbass39 View Post
I had mine detailed and sealed on Saturday by a mate of mine in Tamworth, the difference is unreal and he said there is no need to polish it for 3 years. Cost me £150 quid so not bad really.
What did he seal it with, supa guard or diamond brite?

Durty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa156Rob View Post
the gist I got was you can perhaps use the medium with a very finite polish? Let the pad do the work and the polish just works as lubrication? Of course... I could be talking total rubbish!
Reading on a forum and it looks like the medium pads are for rubbing compound.

AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Quote:
The key to all polishing is to start with the least aggressive products first and to keep as much paint on the car as possible. Many of the newer polishes for sale eg Meguiars 105 & 205 let you alter the amount of cut (abrasiveness) by changing the pads.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Quote:
What a detailed guide! Most of it went over my head but theres some really good info in there.

As a starter, I was going to get this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271222069319

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181192000090

Not harsh on the pocket at under £30 for the lot. And if I get good at it then I can fine tune the set? Any advice for a "starter kit" or anything else I should consider?

Thanks for the help!
I have seen the hex pads cheaper at Products - Serious Performance although the postage is not free. I have used Serious Performance many times and never had a problem with any of their stuff, I think they also have a Ebay site. As for the rotary backing plate, at the risk of pointing out the obvious this will only work on a rotary and to me this looks like the kind of product you get free with a machine. A far higher quality and much easier to use product would be the Flexipad backing plate or maybe something like the 3M one. These are much more expensive than the linked unit but really will make it easier to polish.

Just on a general note, I really do not wish to put anyone off buying a rotary, this is what I use but a rotary is much harder to learn than a orbital polisher (DA) and the difference these days is no longer that significant.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR dog View Post
What did he seal it with, supa guard or diamond brite?
I'll ask him and let you know

EDIT

Autoglym life shine he said.
Durty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbass39 View Post
I'll ask him and let you know

EDIT

Autoglym life shine he said.
Excellent product, one question, if you use the east European car washers will the seal stand up to the tfr they use?

AO Member

He told me to wash it with something but as usual I was distracted by a shiny black GTV lol. I'll get a full list from him. I know he clay bared it, then chemical clean, 3 stages of polishing with his mop and compounds and then the life shine, or something like that.
(Post Link) post #16 of 16 Old 23-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejackson View Post
I have seen the hex pads cheaper at Products - Serious Performance although the postage is not free. I have used Serious Performance many times and never had a problem with any of their stuff, I think they also have a Ebay site. As for the rotary backing plate, at the risk of pointing out the obvious this will only work on a rotary and to me this looks like the kind of product you get free with a machine. A far higher quality and much easier to use product would be the Flexipad backing plate or maybe something like the 3M one. These are much more expensive than the linked unit but really will make it easier to polish.

Just on a general note, I really do not wish to put anyone off buying a rotary, this is what I use but a rotary is much harder to learn than a orbital polisher (DA) and the difference these days is no longer that significant.
Excellent, thank you for your help

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
buffing , foam , pads

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page