Leather repair and colouring - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 27-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: South Australia
Leather repair and colouring

Hey alfa crew.
I received a lot of positive feed back from the leather restoration I did on my project gtv but I also had a lot of questions, so I decided to put a Ďhow toí guide of what I did.

I didnít take enough pictures to create a guide for the red leather I did but a couple of weeks ago I redid the drivers seat on my tan momo leather every day gtv.

Firstly here are a couple before shots:
20130629_132550_zps348a3299.jpg Photo by runtrecords | Photobucket
20130629_132541_zpsae04ea41.jpg Photo by runtrecords | Photobucket
My seat had a reopened tear from an old repair done from someone else, a heap of cracking, staining from black jeans , also the decorative stitching had worn completely away in the obvious spot that a drivers seat wears the most.

After much googerlizing and youtubing I decided that the company that seemed to really know what they were doing were furniture clinic uk.
Furniture Clinic - Leather Care Cleaner, Furniture Repair & Restoration
You will need a sample of your leather to send to them to match if you want to keep the same colour. I got a piece of excess from mine from behind the rear seats.

What I bought:
1. Leather Repair Kit
2. Leather Colourant Kit

Steps:
1. Disconnect battery. This is important if you want to remove your seats from the car to do a more pro job. The dash will be left with an airbag warning light if you donít.
2. Undo 4 hex bolts with allen key. If you have a socket with a clutch its much easier as they wonít turn a full 360 and given that they are high tensile bolts this means a lot of turns.
3. Disconnect electrics under seat.
4. Remove plastic covers and levers.20130629_132759_zps3047e892.jpg Photo by runtrecords | Photobucket
5. 20130629_132805_zpsd40c2159.jpg Photo by runtrecords | Photobucket
6. Now in terms of the full prep and painting process It is probably best to add the links for the videos I watched rather that try to explain it. I made sure the prep was thorough as the last thing I wanted was the colourant to come away from the leather or crack.
7. Leather Colour Change: AM DB2/4 Part 1 - YouTube
8. Leather Colour Change: AM DB2/4 Part 2 - YouTube
9. Like I said my seat had stitching damage. I also used this video to assist with this. Hand Sewing leather - YouTube
10. Some helpful pics:20130629_133731_zps50bba65a.jpg Photo by runtrecords | Photobucket
11. I started stitching low so the glued beginning was hidden and also when I got to the top of the damaged stitching I crossed over and went back down rather than have another join. 20130629_135830_zpsbcb7c94c.jpg Photo by runtrecords | Photobucket
12. I didnít worry too much matching the colour of the stitching as it will all be painted. Stitching finished. 20130629_142020_zps7404df9e.jpg Photo by runtrecords | Photobucket
13. Leather prep and leather clean all the leather and sand with 600 grit wet and dry. 20130629_145131_zps54f56139.jpg Photo by runtrecords | Photobucket
14. The kit supplied by furnitureclinic comes with an aerosol can for air but due to cabin pressure canít send it overseas. I bought compressed air from my local hardware but it was useless. I used my own compressor that I use for auto painting but a small hobby one would do the job.
15. After sponge painting in all the grooves and crevasses. 20130629_151421_zpsed4ece9e.jpg Photo by runtrecords | Photobucket
16. Mask off seat belt clasp and any other important stuff. After first coat.20130629_154227_zps2b2e111c.jpg Photo by runtrecords | Photobucket
17. After clear coats. 20130629_163129_zps656a3fea.jpg Photo by runtrecords | Photobucket
18. 20130629_165339_zps1230c188.jpg Photo by runtrecords | Photobucket
19. Reinstall in reverse and enjoy! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Shropshire

Member car:

GTV V6

I have used their products on 3 cars now, it's time consuming to do properly but the results can be incredibly good and rewarding
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Wow, excellent result
AO Silver Member

Unbelievable results, bet your well chuffed with your efforts
AO Member

County: Londonderry
For £50 and a few hours work that looks like a professional job!!
AO Member

Superb results. Business opportunity?
AO Silver Member

County: Papamoa Beach

Member car:

FIAT 500C Abarth

Excellent job and an inspiring report

I have just one question - when you sand the surface (600 grit), do you lose the texture of the leather at that point? Is the texture just in a sort of plastic layer on the surface? It confuses me because there seem to be a range of different qualities of Alfa seat leather - 156/166 for example don't seem to be anything more than a fibrous fluff with a plastic textured layer, but GTV/Spider seats seem a lot thicker with a genuinely-random texture?

-Alex
AO Member

County: Central Greece

Member car:

916 Spider

Like new, great job i ll have to try it some day..my seats look like yours before the makeover!
AO Member

County: New South Wales

Member car:

GTV

Lucky you're about 1500km's away otherwise you'd be my new best mate and I'd be round your house all day with jobs to help me with

Well done and thanks for sharing. The only parts that worries me is the compressor (as I don't have one) but will look into it.

You've inspired me and today I picked up this interior for a pretty good price after some old fashioned haggling (here in Oz). Comes with door cards and a spare front seat for the mechanism.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALFA-ROME...-/221257302621

Question: do you know the colour code the used for your set (as its the same as the above seats I picked up today) or should I send in a swatch anyway just to be sure?
(Post Link) post #10 of 21 Old 27-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossca View Post
Superb results. Business opportunity?
definitely a business in this. i couldnt find any one good in my area to do it for me.
(Post Link) post #11 of 21 Old 28-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexGS View Post
Excellent job and an inspiring report

I have just one question - when you sand the surface (600 grit), do you lose the texture of the leather at that point? Is the texture just in a sort of plastic layer on the surface? It confuses me because there seem to be a range of different qualities of Alfa seat leather - 156/166 for example don't seem to be anything more than a fibrous fluff with a plastic textured layer, but GTV/Spider seats seem a lot thicker with a genuinely-random texture?

-Alex
Ah, good question. i must clarify step 13. I only used sandpaper on the cracked area to smooth it a little. The leather prep in the kit is what you need 'all over' the leather. if you notice in the video it kind of 'reactivates' the old paint making it perfect for the new stuff to adhere to.
Most leather in cars is painted and from what ive seen all alfas. I guess if you do this process too many times it will lose its natural texture. Here is a better photo of the leather i did in my project gtv. You can see the texture a bit better.
20130518_122108_zpsedfa1a67.jpg Photo by runtrecords | Photobucket
(Post Link) post #12 of 21 Old 28-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

do it mate! you'll love it
(Post Link) post #13 of 21 Old 28-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by facinelli View Post
Lucky you're about 1500km's away otherwise you'd be my new best mate and I'd be round your house all day with jobs to help me with

Well done and thanks for sharing. The only parts that worries me is the compressor (as I don't have one) but will look into it.

You've inspired me and today I picked up this interior for a pretty good price after some old fashioned haggling (here in Oz). Comes with door cards and a spare front seat for the mechanism.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALFA-ROME...-/221257302621

Question: do you know the colour code the used for your set (as its the same as the above seats I picked up today) or should I send in a swatch anyway just to be sure?
......actually im probably due for a alfa partner in crime for projects

gtv- seats- ebay-bargain-nice

colour code: i had this same question when i did my red seats. sorry mate the kit i bought had white colourant for some other random project i had and i had a friend at a paint shop here match the colourant for me. but if you contact them im sure they have alfa tan momo in their data base??
AO Member

County: Meath
Garage
That looks brilliant. I just paid a lot of money to get mine refurbed and yours look better. Next time I will be doing it myself.
My thread -
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/repub...fter-pics.html
AO Member

County: New South Wales

Member car:

GTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr PheR View Post
... but if you contact them im sure they have alfa tan momo in their data base??
Cool, will do.

BTw, I'm in Sydney so if you need a hand with anything Alfa related that's over my way I'm more than happy to help - Just holla
Global Mod Team

County: Lancashire

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0JTS

I have copied this thread to here for further viewing.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 729
County: Devon
Thank you for posting your work
AO Member

County: -
Great job that.

Has anyone been brave enough to do a complete colour change (seats and door cards) on a leather interior themselves? Just pondering doing mine and wondered if anyone had had a go themselves or got the job done professionally?
(Post Link) post #19 of 21 Old 03-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
Great job that.

Has anyone been brave enough to do a complete colour change (seats and door cards) on a leather interior themselves? Just pondering doing mine and wondered if anyone had had a go themselves or got the job done professionally?
Not yet...the prep would have to be very thorough. According to the company i got the kit from they do it all the time. I guess the only down side i could see is if it gets scratched you may see the old colour through depending on how extreme the change is.

Go for it....and post the pictures!!!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr PheR View Post
Not yet...the prep would have to be very thorough. According to the company i got the kit from they do it all the time. I guess the only down side i could see is if it gets scratched you may see the old colour through depending on how extreme the change is.

Go for it....and post the pictures!!!
Ah, not that brave. Going to get some prices on a retrim first. That will probably spur me on to have a go at recolouring myself!

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GTV6

Leather repair

Great job that! A mate of mine runs a company doing this kind of work and your results look pretty much as good as his company, you can check out their work at [url]www.theleathersurgeons.co.uk or www.facebook.com/theleathersurgeons
Don't think he'd go so far as Australia though!

Last edited by onebootbazza; 15-11-13 at 08:29. Reason: typo

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
colouring , leather , repair

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page