Paintwork help - random black paint and overspray - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 16-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Audi A4 / GTV TS

Paintwork help - random black paint and overspray

Bought myself a GTV TS last week, needs a bit of work doing to it, mainly the paintwork.

It's had some recent fresh painty, where the red paint put on was a lighter shade, they have painted the door shuts and associated areas in black paint. Pretty sure it should not be like this

How can I go about sorting this, the black paint does seem to be coming off already

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...S16/GTV033.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...S16/GTV034.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...S16/GTV038.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...S16/GTV040.jpg

It also appears that the door rubbers etc were kept on so these also have flakey black paint on them.

On the outside, some of the window rubbers have slight overspray, what's my best way to get this off?

Thanks,
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Wow, never seen anything like that. I would take it back and ask them to fix everything
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

MiTo 155 Veloce

That car must have been seriously cheap for you to buy it like that, either that or you were deceived at which point you want to get your money back.

Best way to sort it out I'd guess would be bin the rubbers and try and source some new ones as well as taking it to a body shop and get it all stripped back and re-sprayed properly. Won't be cheap, you're going to have to dismantle your doors etc. to put that right.

EDIT: just seen your thread in GTV section. It's clearly a little project so fair enough, I hope you didn't pay much for the car though. If you want it done properly my suggestion above still stands but after seeing the rest of your paintwork I'd not bother. Only way to get rid of that black paint would be to sand it off I suppose and re-spray yourself. you'd need to try and ID the colour the previous owner has used on the outside though. You could try and scratch off the paint on the rubbers but I'd be wary of putting harsh paint eating chemicals on the rubbers as they'll probably get damaged too. Second hand rubbers may be a good shout however and save you untold aggro.

Last edited by skippy2421; 18-07-13 at 11:51.
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 19-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Audi A4 / GTV TS

Hi Skippy

Thanks for the advice, appreciate someone getting back to me. As for the car, it cost me £500 with 10 months test and 3 months tax. It needs an offside rear wheel bearing but that's about it.

The paint is a downer, but for what I paid and what I need it for, it's fine.

The black paint is actually peeling off if I pick it with my nail. Could take a long while but most of it may come off. Just thought there may be a quicker way
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silky View Post
Hi Skippy

Thanks for the advice, appreciate someone getting back to me.....
I really must work out how stop my posts from being invisible.

This link might be helpful http://www.hotrod.com/howto/hdrp_060...s/viewall.html

Last edited by lowejackson; 19-07-13 at 16:30. Reason: added link
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 19-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Audi A4 / GTV TS

Apols lowej, meant it as in advice etc on paint. Thanks tho for the link, looks hard work
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
If your feeling brave, and looking at the state of that black paint a jet wash might take a lot of it off, but would try and cover all the bits you dont want drenched as much as possible, especially the electrics.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GT 3.2

It seems the black paint was applied without scuffing the paint under (so no mechanical adhesion) implying that it was not done by a pro. Which in turn probably means the paint is 1k rattle can paint.

Rattle can paint doesn't stand up very well against gasoline, so I'd start with a rag dipped in gasoline and see what happens. If you need a bit more aggression, try toluene or xylene thinner, your clearcoat *should* stand up against that, but start out carefully until you're sure. I always hurry to hose the area down with water after using thinner on a paintsurface I want to keep, but I don't know if it's necessary.

If that doesn't work you're stuck with mechanical removal, which is a pain on areas with lots of folds and nooks. I'd start in the gentle end there too, stepping up until it starts biting at a reasonable pace, claying-hand polish-machine polish-plastic spatula should leave the surface underneath intact, and if not go to stuff that will cause a need for re-painting.

Good luck

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
black , overspray , paint , paintwork , random

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page