Dirty Engine Bay - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-06-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

Dirty Engine Bay

I've been putting it off and putting it off but now that we have some nice weather here up north I feel I should clean the engine bay. I have decided to clean it myself as I have a Karcher pressure washer and some Maguiar's stuff.

So my question is basically about what to cover up before I begin cleaning. The obvious things which spring to mind are the battery, alternator, distributor and fuse boxes but I want to make sure that's everything. I imagine I'll be doing this again in the future sometime as I live in a rural area with gritty roads so any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers people.

Now: 156 GTA | Quaife Diff | Wizard Manifolds | Eibach Pro Shocks & Springs | Eibach ARBs | 330mm Brembo Calipers

Then: 147 Sport Q2 | Autolusso Remap | Swirl Flap & EGR Delete | Mocal Oil Cooler Kit | JTD Performance FMIC Kit | High Flow Elbow | Wizard Downpipe | PF Pads & 5.1 Fluid | Autolusso Braided Brake Lines | MTech Short-Shifter | Autolusso Silicone Turbo-to-MAF Hose | Refurbed Q2s

Last edited by baxter2308; 14-12-15 at 18:17.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Don't pressure wash it, just asking for trouble.

Get some different size paint brushes and degreaser and even polishes (bumper care stuff for plastic components) and a vacuum cleaner with a thin nozzle (just dont tell the missus what your using it for), then use the brushes to work the degreaser in where needed and rinse off with a low pressure hose.
Use the vacuum to suck out dirt where it's thicker after you have loosened it off and to get leaves and the like out.
Once it's looking cleaner you can crack out the sprays etc to clean the covers and the like up.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Giulietta

Steam clean
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 07-06-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

Cheers edraven71. Completely understand the pressure washer danger, thankfully it has an attachment which restricts the flow to almost a mist. I should remember to have a pan under the car to catch all the crap.

Never thought of a steam cleaner, not a bad idea Smogz. I notice you have a Giulietta, what do you think of the newest Alfa's so far.

Cheers people.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
147 , bay , cleaning , detailing , dirty , engine

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page