Alloy wheel clean up, using tar remover - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 14-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Alloy wheel clean up, using tar remover

I've got the 18" Horseshoe alloys on my 159. They need a bit of a refurb at the moment, some of the laqueur is peeling, and there is a slight scuff on one.

I have used the shampoo I use and even wonder wheels, but they have never come out as perfectly clean. There was always a browny hue on the wheels, even after the most fastidious clean!
On Saturday I was removing the tar spots with AG Intensive Tar remover on the flanks of the car. Using the cloth I was using for the doors/sills I rubbed at the brown hue area on one of the wheels. As if by magic the stuff just wiped off. So I followed around and did all the wheels. I can't believe the difference in the wheels. Apart from the flaky laquer in places they look new.
After this I sprayed the NS wheels with Rainex, as I thought this might keep some of the grot off the wheels during normal use. I left the OS wheels as a comparison.
Sunday the heavens opened and the car was drenched. I did a short journey and have driven 11 miles across the city to work this morning, again on wet roads. Amazingly there is no deposit of brake dust or road grime on the NS wheels. It seems to just bounce off.

So I will be trying this on all the wheels on the next clean.

Am I mad or is this a valid and tested method of cleaning and keeping them clean?

After using the tar remover, I did wipe the wheels over with a soft cloth to remove any remaining liquid, I know it is a bit harsh on paintwork, so assumed it would be so with alloys wheels.

Moved over to the dark side

And loving it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
The brown hue is traffic film i beileve and know from experience that it wont come off with most wheel cleaners. I used Valet Pro Bilberry and even the new Dodo Juice Mellow Yellow to no avail but i found that the VP Tar & Glue remover heped alot and also some elbow grease with a micro fibre cloth. Other than this something like AG Super Resin Polish. Ive never heard of people using rainX mind but i and others use a dedicated sealant for the wheels. Poorboys wheel sealant is one of the more popular ones while many use AG Extra Gloss Protection. Once sealed they should be easy to maintain with just a sponge and shampoo. Reaaply every few months
Hope this helps, Phil

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 15-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Cheers for that Phil.
Am still amazed at the deep clean that the AG Tar Remover gave the wheels. Sparkling like never before.
The side I used the Rainex on is certainly resisting the brake dust and road muck more than the other. I suppose it is just a type of barrier (silicone?) and this resists the adhering of contaminents.
Will see how it looks at the weekend. Might have a search to see where you recommendations can be bought.
Cheers.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynne71 View Post
Cheers for that Phil.
Am still amazed at the deep clean that the AG Tar Remover gave the wheels. Sparkling like never before.
The side I used the Rainex on is certainly resisting the brake dust and road muck more than the other. I suppose it is just a type of barrier (silicone?) and this resists the adhering of contaminents.
Will see how it looks at the weekend. Might have a search to see where you recommendations can be bought.
Cheers.
I'll save you the hassle
Poorboys Wheel Sealant
Other than that the Extra Gloss Protection is available from Halfords and is said to be very good. there are many other products for this but those 2 seem to be the most popular and are well priced. Ive been using Werkstat Jett on mine which is a spray sealant. What i notice is the flake nalf pops on the wheels and they look very glossy!
Phil
AO Member

County: Essex
Thumbs Up

As a motor dealer let me save you all some money, go in a motor factors ( Not Halfords which is joe public stuff at silly prices ) and ask for 5 litres of TFR (traffic film remover) for really bad wheels spray on neat and leave for a minute or so, for light dirt mix half and half, jet wash off for showroom clean wheels ! you will be amazed what this stuff can do but NEVER put neat on paintwork or Alloy, good luck.
AO Member

oops! by Alloy i mean trim or kickplates etc NOT the wheels, that will be fine................
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
TFR can be nasty stuff and if used on wheels with paint damage (pretty much all of us have some damage to our wheels) it can get in behind the paint and do some damage to the wheel itself, much like Wonder wheels or any acidic wheel cleaner will if left on the wheels too long.

The best way is get them clean as possible as Wynne has done and then protect them with a sealant, I use AG EGP but any sealant/wax will do, some are better than others. Then all that is needed to keep them clean is a regular wash with your normal car shampoo.

P.S. Claying them can make a big difference but it will take you AGES on these wheels, believe me I know!
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LangdonUK View Post

.........but NEVER put neat on paintwork or Alloy, good luck.
Which means it is highly acidic or alkaline. It will damage your alloys.

As Twissler says above a good tar remover or paint cleaner will do the trick if claying takes too long. Then seal with an appropriate product or dedicated wheel wax.
AO Silver Member

County: -
You lot need to buy some Iron Cut
AO Member

Thumbs Up

Let's be clear here, it's not needed for wheels that are kept clean most of the time, all the products you mention will do that, but if you have deep brown brake dust grime or road tar and road film ( for people who dont clean their wheels that often) then its brilliant, been using it on everything from Mini to Bentley for 20+ years and it has'nt damaged anything yet! depends how you use it i suppose.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by LangdonUK View Post
Let's be clear here, it's not needed for wheels that are kept clean most of the time, all the products you mention will do that, but if you have deep brown brake dust grime or road tar and road film ( for people who dont clean their wheels that often) then its brilliant, been using it on everything from Mini to Bentley for 20+ years and it has'nt damaged anything yet! depends how you use it i suppose.
Yeah for a one off clean of really dirty wheels I suppose it's ideal really. After all your gonna need something with some real bite to get through the baked on brake dust. You just have to be careful with this stuff.

I use Bilberry to "deep" clean my wheels twice a year and although it says it's a safe wheel cleaner i'm always careful to get the stuff thoroughly rinsed of pretty quickly.
AO Member

Thumbs Up

Oh for sure, get it on the wheels, let it soak for a couple of minutes and jet wash it off, and keep it clear of poilished paintwork and trim.

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynne71 View Post
I've got the 18" Horseshoe alloys on my 159. They need a bit of a refurb at the moment, some of the laqueur is peeling, and there is a slight scuff on one.

I have used the shampoo I use and even wonder wheels, but they have never come out as perfectly clean. There was always a browny hue on the wheels, even after the most fastidious clean!
On Saturday I was removing the tar spots with AG Intensive Tar remover on the flanks of the car. Using the cloth I was using for the doors/sills I rubbed at the brown hue area on one of the wheels. As if by magic the stuff just wiped off. So I followed around and did all the wheels. I can't believe the difference in the wheels. Apart from the flaky laquer in places they look new.
After this I sprayed the NS wheels with Rainex, as I thought this might keep some of the grot off the wheels during normal use. I left the OS wheels as a comparison.
Sunday the heavens opened and the car was drenched. I did a short journey and have driven 11 miles across the city to work this morning, again on wet roads. Amazingly there is no deposit of brake dust or road grime on the NS wheels. It seems to just bounce off.

So I will be trying this on all the wheels on the next clean.

Am I mad or is this a valid and tested method of cleaning and keeping them clean?

After using the tar remover, I did wipe the wheels over with a soft cloth to remove any remaining liquid, I know it is a bit harsh on paintwork, so assumed it would be so with alloys wheels.
Sorry for my ignorance, but does AG stand for Autoglym ?

Thanks
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

3 and a half year old thread

But yes AG stands for Autoglym
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 16-05-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Was re-reading the thread and trying to remember what I did/used....!

Yup, Autoglym.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
alloy , clean , remover , tar , wheel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page