More stone chip nonsense - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 10-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
More stone chip nonsense

Ok got loads and loads of chips which are starting to disappear. I have a few larger ones that no matter how much paint I build up there doesn't seem to be enough. It's a good colour match so should I level it off with the oem lacquer? And is the best finish after to sand and cut? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -
If the colour is alright and you just need lacquer it will be fine to just use that. Flatten it back with fine grade wet and dry and compond it. T-cut actually does a very good job of removing 2000+ grit sanding haze.
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Try mixing your lacquer with your touch up paint or if poss mix some UPol Rocket with it. Leave it to harden nicely and then shave with a blade before polishing. There is a little tool that is available
(Run Razor *(P224) - Frost Auto Restoration Techniques). that will set the blade so you can't do any major damage.

Below is a few pics of a few chips I repaired last week with this method. If you would like any info on anything please feel free to drop me a message.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motor...-touch-in.html

Last edited by kandrewsntl; 11-06-10 at 23:04.
(Post Link) post #4 of 14 Old 12-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
Thanks guys
AO Gold Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

MITO QV

I'm hoping to tackle the chips on the front of my Tornado Blue QV sometime soon (bumper area). I've enquired about touch-up paint which will hopefully be sent to me soon, but I'm a complete novice at this kind of thing.

Do you guys have any hints or tips on what I should do, and what products I should buy? I checked out the above link in kandrewsntl's post but I must admit that most of that stuff goes way over my head.

Again, I've never done touch-ups before. I have a lot of experience in polishing/waxing and managed to maintain a brilliant finish on the painwork of all my previous cars (and the current car), but I just need a nudge in the right direction when it comes to stone-chips and how to treat them and cut them back without causing any damage.

Thanks!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali C View Post
I'm hoping to tackle the chips on the front of my Tornado Blue QV sometime soon (bumper area). I've enquired about touch-up paint which will hopefully be sent to me soon, but I'm a complete novice at this kind of thing.

Do you guys have any hints or tips on what I should do, and what products I should buy? I checked out the above link in kandrewsntl's post but I must admit that most of that stuff goes way over my head.

Again, I've never done touch-ups before. I have a lot of experience in polishing/waxing and managed to maintain a brilliant finish on the painwork of all my previous cars (and the current car), but I just need a nudge in the right direction when it comes to stone-chips and how to treat them and cut them back without causing any damage.

Thanks!
Hi,

Point taken! The link for the run razor is someting that'll really help on metal panels. As it's your bumper get yourself a good quality fine brush as this will help you if you're new to this. When applying the paint don't brush it on try to 'load' the chip by gently touching the chip with your brush and allowing the area to all most fill itself. The paint will shrink back when dried so you may have to repeat this. Leave this to go off for a few days before flatting back lightly with some 2000 wet and dry and polishing up. Just don't rush it and you'll be fine. And if you're unsure of anything I'll gladly try to help explain further. Might even try to create a how to thread if I get time!

Kev
AO Gold Member

Member car:

MITO QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandrewsntl View Post
Hi,

Point taken! The link for the run razor is someting that'll really help on metal panels. As it's your bumper get yourself a good quality fine brush as this will help you if you're new to this. When applying the paint don't brush it on try to 'load' the chip by gently touching the chip with your brush and allowing the area to all most fill itself. The paint will shrink back when dried so you may have to repeat this. Leave this to go off for a few days before flatting back lightly with some 2000 wet and dry and polishing up. Just don't rush it and you'll be fine. And if you're unsure of anything I'll gladly try to help explain further. Might even try to create a how to thread if I get time!

Kev
Haha! Sorry, I did go on about my lack of knowledge in the area!

Alas, thanks for the reply. I like your idea about creating a topic, though. I'm sure there's enough people with stone-chip problems on this forum!

As for the 2000 wet and dry. This scares me poo-less. I just can't get the idea out of my head that I'd somehow scratch/haze the paint on the bodywork surrounding the chip that has been filled.

Also, do you have any good links as to where this sandpaper (etc) can be bought?

Sorry to be a pain in the proverbial, but when it comes to cars I have a mega OCD problem!
AO Member

Quote:
Haha! Sorry, I did go on about my lack of knowledge in the area!

Alas, thanks for the reply. I like your idea about creating a topic, though. I'm sure there's enough people with stone-chip problems on this forum!

As for the 2000 wet and dry. This scares me poo-less. I just can't get the idea out of my head that I'd somehow scratch/haze the paint on the bodywork surrounding the chip that has been filled.

Also, do you have any good links as to where this sandpaper (etc) can be bought?

Sorry to be a pain in the proverbial, but when it comes to cars I have a mega OCD problem!
I fully understand your fear of doing this but believe me it works great. I'm going to try and see about getting some sort of kit put together with everything you'll need to carry these jobs out. Also I spoke to my area rep about doing a 'sticky' for touch ins and he seems keen to help. I'll try and sort it all asap but in the mean time if you're ever near London give me a bell and I'll offer some one to one tuition
AO Gold Member

Member car:

MITO QV

Well it's helpful posts like yours that make this forum a great place to visit. Thanks very much for your help so far. Hopefully I'll hear back from my Alfa dealer today about the Tornado Blue touch-up paint. I couldn't find it to purchase online so I got in touch with them.

I'll look into getting some of that wet n' dry sandpaper too. I'll build up a list from what you suggest and then I can get cracking on fixing my front bumper (and Alfa's dodgy bloody paint!).
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Quote:
Well it's helpful posts like yours that make this forum a great place to visit. Thanks very much for your help so far. Hopefully I'll hear back from my Alfa dealer today about the Tornado Blue touch-up paint. I couldn't find it to purchase online so I got in touch with them.

I'll look into getting some of that wet n' dry sandpaper too. I'll build up a list from what you suggest and then I can get cracking on fixing my front bumper (and Alfa's dodgy bloody paint!).
If you are worried about using the wet and dry, you could try this which minimises the area you affect: once you've filled the chips and come to flat them down, one trick I have used successfully is (with a normal paper hole punch), cut some holes in your wet and dry.
Superglue these little discs onto the flat(!) end of pencils and use them to flat the chips by just turning the pencil.
Having said this, if you go beyond the chip with your flatting, a polishing compound will remove the haze quite easily, just don't go mad!
AO Member

[QUOTE=Ali C;3458751]Well it's helpful posts like yours that make this forum a great place to visit. Thanks very much for your help so far.[/QUOTE

No problem at all, it's in my eyes what a forum is all about I've sent you a PM regarding a few products.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

MITO QV

Thanks for the tips Lovelyred...excellent tip infact!

Kandrewsntl - I've not received a PM!?

By the way, check out the picture below. This is just one section of my front bumper!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chips.jpg (57.3 KB, 14 views)
AO Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tips Lovelyred...excellent tip infact!

Kandrewsntl - I've not received a PM!?

By the way, check out the picture below. This is just one section of my front bumper!
Sorry i was getting carried away PM is sent now! Thats not good on such a new car but fixable with a bit of patience and the right kit.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Get a decent fine artists brush aswell. No bigger than a no.1, you'll get a much better finish.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
chip , nonsense , stone

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page