Tar spots - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

keithyboy

Tar spots

What's best to remove them?

I've had a good go with the clay tonight but there are some really resilient ones that don't want to budge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
AG tar remover. Dab it on, leave it a minute. Wipe it off..Simples..

County: Cork
Garage
Paraffin oil Spray on, leave to soak for a while then wipe off. Make sure to wash the car after though.

I'd recommend de-tarring the whole car before claying though, this way you don't contaminate the clay & there is less chance of scratching the car
keithyboy

Cheers boys.

I'm new to this detailing lark and am learning all the time. Next question will be about polishing, waxing and sealing which i thought were all the same but apparently aren't.

County: Cork
Garage
I'll let that to someone else to give advice on
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
Cheers boys.

I'm new to this detailing lark and am learning all the time. Next question will be about polishing, waxing and sealing which i thought were all the same but apparently aren't.
Well they can be in the same product, something they call AIO (all in one). This is a product which cleanses, polishes and protects via a wax or sealant (man made synthetic wax). Mostly used to save time and not as good generally as using the seperate products durability wise. A bit like a midid system against seperates if you will.
The most highly rated product is Auto Smart Tardis however its only available though a local AS rep and comes in 5ltrs which is no good to most people but it can be bought on ebay in smaller sizes through people splitting it. Other than that Valet Pro Citrus TAr & Glue Remover is about £7 for 500ml or the AG stuff is easily available from HAlfords and is as good i believe. Tar is evil! None of the wheel cleaners will remove it as theyre normally acid based whereas you need a solvent for Tar. I spray the VP stuff on then leave it to dod its thing and then wipe with a micro fibre cloth.
Phil

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29
Mymatemarmite

A drop of WD40 is good for the odd random tar spot too! Don't think i'd use it on the whole car though

AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mymatemarmite View Post
A drop of WD40 is good for the odd random tar spot too! Don't think i'd use it on the whole car though
It smells better than most tar removers too
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Interesting mtpt 77.: And our weeping pear suffers Fire Blight, and someone planted Hawthorne on our private estate which contains the sweet smell of trimethylamine, which is the same chemical as produced by rotting flesh?

British roads tar spot? Drop of 99p white spirit from wilko's, B and Q, or wherever? WD 40 has that in it as a solvent with oil added, but better use straight white spirit and then the wax is not rejected when you re-polish the area? :
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonfalls View Post
AG tar remover. Dab it on, leave it a minute. Wipe it off..Simples..
+1 ... so easy to use and works. I need to get it on the 156 ... got "sprayed" down one side last week and now it's splattered with small black dots ... looks like it's got black spot!
keithyboy

I got some Halfords tar remover in the end and it smells lovely. A bit like Mr Sheen.

AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Tar and glue remover is almost identical to nail polish remover if you ever feel like raiding the missus's make-up bag !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
spots , tar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page